Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 45)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 45)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 516 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Victor Cruz
  • Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

She might be coming if she wins the bafta.

Thinking either McDormand or Kirby could upset is just pure delusion. BAFTA can’t screw up this chance of having a POC win this category. I believe it’s between Bakray and Woodard.

A Lady Gaga DEVOTEE

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

Thinking either McDormand or Kirby could upset is just pure delusion. BAFTA can’t screw up this chance of having a POC win this category. I believe it’s between Bakray and Woodard.

The jury gave them a great opportunity to reward a POC but that doesn’t mean they will take the opportunity. Let’s remember how they gave Margot Robbie two nominations from the general membership over great POC nominees. And they can easily recognize POC in other categories.

I am betting on Bakray just because they love Rocks and I feel BAFTA will want to try to distinguish itself from other awards bodies. Frances and Kirby however do have a great shot at winning. It’s definitely not 0%.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

If BAFTA goes out of its way to recognize White talent across the board, there will be backlash. You better believe it.

Profile picture
    ShinySeaDiamond
    Topics:

If BAFTA goes out of its way to recognize White talent across the board, there will be backlash. You better believe it.

True, but assuming Boseman and Kaluuya solidify their sweeps, and Youn wins in supporting, I don’t think they’ll face backlash for awarding Kirby or McDormand here, especially as they’re the only two Oscar nominees.

Of course, we do need greater diversity in terms of winners behind the scenes, but generally less attention is given to those categories.

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

I definitely don’t think all winners will be white. Supporting and Lead Actor alone will definitely be POC. That will allow them some room to reward an actor who is not a POC without getting backlash in the Actress races.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

True, but assuming Boseman and Kaluuya solidify their sweeps, and Youn wins in supporting, I don’t think they’ll face backlash for awarding Kirby or McDormand here, especially as they’re the only two Oscar nominees.

I think Kaluuya is safe, but I was specifically thinking of Boseman. He’s not 100% safe here. That said, if it’s, like, Riz that overcomes him, there won’t be any backlash.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I think Boseman is safe since there isn’t a particularly clear alternative between Hopkins and Ahmed for him to lose to with the Brits.

Profile picture
    Aurelius
    Topics:

I wonder why Yeri Han was never in the conversation. She did as good a job as Yeun IMO, and the movie walked away with two acting nominations and a few precursors for Alan Kim, yet Han was never even in the conversation even when there were like 4 people speculated about for the fifth slot.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I wonder why Yeri Han was never in the conversation. She did as good a job as Yeun IMO, and the movie walked away with two acting nominations and a few precursors for Alan Kim, yet Han was never even in the conversation even when there were like 4 people speculated about for the fifth slot.

The critics didn’t push her hard enough unfortunately.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Boseman won’t lose. Hopkins will split votes with Ahmed (who is a legend in British independent cinema) and Rahim (a European who is coming off a turn on a massive hit show over here, is a previous nominee and is in a British film BAFTA liked more than everyone else).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Alan
    Topics:

Vanessa Kirby deserved better with the precursors. At least she have the Volpi Cup and didn’t miss the televised nominations but still. She would be a deserving winner.

Four-time Academy Award winner Frances McDormand

Two-time Academy Award winner Anthony Hopkins

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The way Viola might actually be coming if Ma wins 3 BAFTAs…

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

The way Viola might actually be coming if Ma wins 3 BAFTAs…

She’s been on her way.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Sucks Promising Young Woman couldn’t win casting. Prayer circle the film takes Original Screenplay, British Film, and editing to increase Mulligan’s chances.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Do people still think that there is no way 2 time BAFTA Best Actress nominee and Supporting Actress winner Viola Davis has any support from the British bloc?

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom was one of the few films I had seen this year that had been seen by people in the British film industry. It missed in directing and supporting actor on the long-list but that’s because it was more or less a non factor in those from the start. Its screenplay miss was worrying and this why I faltered in my confidence in it towards the Oscar nominations (I was too scared to drop it though lol).

Sure it’s a film about race in America which hurts it when it comes to appealing to British sensibilities. But it’s also a high brow costumed period drama that stars someone as celebrated and revered as Davis is internationally. These people nominated her for Widows! It’s very clear to me that her and Mulligan would have been top two for the win here under the previous system and it would not have surprised me at all if Davis had won the BAFTA.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 516 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 45)’ is closed to new replies.