Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 45)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 45)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 516 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Victor Cruz
  • Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

I believe PYM was submitted to Comedy and HFPA moved it to Drama, which is why I sad HFPA played the whole film both cast and crew.

After all the shit they got for submitting get out in comedy , I get why they’d be reluctant about submitting a story about a woman avenging her friend after a horrific rape to the comedy category

Profile picture
    Dr. Manhattan
    Topics:

And BAFTA snubbing Mulligan but giving her film praise rings odd too.

I’m not sure if you know this (based on your writing, it seems like you don’t), but the nominees for the acting and directing categories this year were selected by a small jury that functioned independent of the general BAFTA membership, who nominated Promising Young Woman in other categories and gave it two awards. Mulligan definitely would’ve been nominated if it weren’t for the jury and it stands to reason that she could’ve won if she was nominated. I don’t think knowing this makes this race any easier, but it may alleviate some of your concerns about Mulligan winning.

Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

This race is crazy lol!!! I actually think the secret ballots may help us this time.. or not lol.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Na I’d say Pike deserved her Globe win, and even deserved to be Oscar nominated along with Mulligan…

1. Mulligan
    2. Kirby
    3. Pike
    4. Day
    5. McDormand

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson, Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor)

Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    Monty
    Topics:

We don’t have any split race like this in BA category, so I look into the split race in BSA category.
    2007:
    Tilda Swinton: BAFTA, 5 other awards, in BP nominee
    Cate Blanchett: GG, Volpi Cup, 10 other awards
    Amy Ryan: CC, 18 other awards
    Ruby Dee: SAG, 2 other awards
    Saoirse Ronan: 1 award, in BP nominee

2000:
    Marcia Gay Harden: 2 awards
    Kate Hudson: GG, 6 other awards
    Frances McDormand: CC, 6 other awards
    Judi Dench: SAG, in BP nominee
    Julie Walters: BAFTA, 2 other awards

1. They would rather award a veteran actress rather than an ingenue
    2. Recent previous win didn’t help their chance (Blanchett, Dench, McDormand)
    3. Being in a BP nominee did help, sometimes.

Frances McDormand: The best comparison is herself. Like when she was up for Almost Famous, she just won an Oscar a few years ago. She could be very likely winning BP and it is incredibly hard to win a third BA Oscar. Her chance doesn’t seem good.

Viola Davis: The best comparison is Judi Dench. Both them are respected veteran actress with a recent previous win. Not much love for her performance outside SAG. The narrative is on her side, though.

Carey Mulligan: The best comparison is Amy Ryan or Tilda Swinton. CC win and the most critics win resemble Ryan’s record but Mulligan’s movie is a big BP contender, which did help.

Andra Day: In a split race like this, the voters are not being told who to vote for. They vote for their favourite performance, which could be Day. She gave the baitiest performance of them all and narrative is on her side.

Vanessa Kirby: she could pull off an upset like Marcia Gay Harden.

In my opinion, the race seems to come down to Mulligan vs Day.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s weird how people on the forums switch from “lovers” to “haters” so quickly. First people shower Viola Davis’ performance with love then they go and hate on it. First they shower Promising Young Woman with love then they go and hate on it.

It’s interesting because it happens almost every season (although weirdly enough I didn’t see anyone hating on some of the weird stuff nominated last year but maybe that’s because I wasn’t so active then). Do people realise you can like multiple films and performances in contention?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

It’s weird how people on the forums switch from “lovers” to “haters” so quickly. First people shower Viola Davis’ performance with love then they go and hate on it. First they shower Promising Young Woman with love then they go and hate on it. It’s interesting because it happens almost every season (although weirdly enough I didn’t see anyone hating on some of the weird stuff nominated last year but maybe that’s because I wasn’t so active then). Do people realise you can like multiple films and performances in contention?

I think it’s all about the always-changing awards race. Like I’m totally indifferent to Vanessa Kirby’s performance, and I don’t comment on it, but if she were to be some huge contender, I’d probably make some snarky comments 🙂

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

The way I might switch to Andra Day after I had her in third two days ago. The Academy has been spreading the wealth in these past years except when it comes to their best picture winners (Parasite!). But even then it lost editing to Ford v. Ferrari. I just can’t see Ma Rainey going 4/5. I was hoping it would lose a craft category at BAFTA but it won both of them. I’m hoping the costume guild goes to Emma so <i>Ma Rainey</i> does not go 4/5 in my predicted lineup.

I’m going to pay attention to Andra Day’s campaigning in these upcoming days. Voting starts in 2 days! Remember when Hillary Clinton, Oprah, and Whoopi Goldberg congratulated her on her Globes win? She should get Kamala to #endorse her for the Oscar soon.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think it’s all about the always-changing awards race. Like I’m totally indifferent to Vanessa Kirby’s performance, and I don’t comment on it, but if she were to be some huge contender, I’d probably make some snarky comments 🙂

Fair enough.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    koksvardas
    Topics:

Gun to your head, you have to pick one winner. Who are you picking now?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Gun to your head, you have to pick one winner. Who are you picking now?

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I just realized the costume design guild is today. Ma Rainey please lose so I can keep my Viola Davis prediction.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Yeah, I’m still going Carey as of right now. It’s weird cause I feel like I should be looking for any reason to not predict her because she’s my favorite. Yet every time I think of one of those, I keep coming back to issues I have with predicting the other contenders (logical issues not personal ones). I have a very difficult time seeing Ma Rainey’s winning 4 Oscars so that’s why I can’t bring myself to predict Viola, and Andra is her film’s only nomination which isn’t good if you’re looking to win an Oscar in a split race. And while I’m not cocky enough to say Carey definitely would’ve won BAFTA if she were nominated, as they do like Viola a lot and Nomadland was very strong over there, I do think it winning Best BRITISH Film when its sensibilities are far more American than its competition (looking at you, The Father) says very good things about her chances. Furthermore, going with the Oscar nominee who was not British at BAFTA says they’re sure as hell not backing Kirby. The British block doesn’t always help you, but I think this race is split enough to where Carey could pull ahead with their support. Tbh, I’ll probably predict her on Oscar night unless I’m convinced otherwise, but I’m not confident in this at all. It’s just a gut feeling I have

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Huns, it’s obvious the beneficiary of this mess is Mulligan. She doesn’t need too many votes to win Best Actress since all four are competitive that’s why she can pull an Adrian Brody and win it because the support for her film could give her the amount of votes needed to pull it off.

After BAFTA we know international voters don’t like Ma Rainey and after denying Boseman we know Oscar ain’t giving it two Oscars for acting. Also, add the Netflix Jinx to it.

Andra Day has visibility issues and I doubt she can pull an Iron Lady. A best Actress win with a 52 metacritic score.

Davis and Day will SPLIT the vote. Some will vote for Davis just because they think she (The actor NOT the Performance) is the one that deserves the honor of second best black actress BUT Day has the PERFORMANCE To get that honor not Davis. Add to that the ingenue leading star discovery narrative to Day + the Ma Rainey vs Billie Holliday (One doesn’t sing while the other sings every single song) Voters will definitely be SPLIT on these two.

McDormand is not winning a producing Oscar and an acting Oscar.

Therefore, Mulligan is the one that I feel will get the necessary votes to pull it off.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am really surprised that so many people are predicting Andra Day will win. I don’t think she has any chance at all and that it is Davis vs. Mulligan for the win, with McDormand being the only other possibility, yet a long shot. My choice is Vanessa Kirby and I don’t think she has any chance at all either. Julianne Moore was the last time a Best Actress winner won as the sole nominee for her film but she felt inevitable and the academy hated Gone Girl that year – this doesn’t feel like a year when a sole nominee can win.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 516 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 45)’ is closed to new replies.