Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 508 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Continue in Part 46.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Might as well put this here instead of back of previous thread lol

I think Nomadland is winning Director and Picture, so it could win Actress also but unlikely to give McDormand a third so soon. PYW can’t go home with only Screenplay of the major awards, which is why I’m leaning toward Mulligan in actress. Both films in contention for Best Picture, seems it could be Mulligan’s time after a decade of strong performances without any accolades.

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Let the fight begin!

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

PYW can’t go home with only Screenplay of the major awards

Why? Many films go home with only Screenplay.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Let the fight begin!

Baby they don’t stand a chance against her then..

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

I wish I still cared about the Oscars, ‘cause this does seem like the most interesting, unpredictable lead acting race in many years.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Mulligan and McDormand have always been the front runners. We overestimated the Black actress narrative.

1. Mulligan (26 Critics win + CC + AACTA + Indie Spirit)
    2. McDormand (24 Critics win + BAFTA)
    3. Day *A Competitive (GG)
    4. Davis *A namecheck(SAG)
    5. Kirby

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Baby they don’t stand a chance against her then..

Lol she doesn’t even give my favourite performance here (my second favourite though because she was still phenomenal!) but I just want to see her win just to see the meltdowns from all the people who have dragged her since September!

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

PYW can’t go home with only Screenplay of the major awards, which is why I’m leaning toward Mulligan in actress.

I’m predicting Carey and even I think it could easily win just Screenplay. Stop listening to Clayton Davis

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

PYW can absolutely win just screenplay. Where is this argument coming from? Literally the last three Best Adapted Screenplay winners were the sole victories for their films.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Let the fight begin!

Dang, wolfali, you didn’t put my fave gif of Vanessa’s in the post. But, I just realized that means you’ve now X’d her completely out of the brawl. Lol

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Why? Many films go home with only Screenplay.

Or, worse.. none at all!

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

PYW can’t go home with only Screenplay of the major awards, which is why I’m leaning toward Mulligan in actress

Why exactly? This doesn’t make any sense.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I’m predicting Carey and even I think it could easily win just Screenplay. Stop listening to Clayton Davis

Who is Clayton Davis? And where did I say PYW can’t win screenplay? If people actually read my post I said it can’t win only Screenplay as a major award, my opinion is it’s winning 2.

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    Mr. Tintin
    Topics:

I think this is Carey’s.

Vanessa COULD pull a Marcia Gay Harden, but I don’t think it will happen considering she is the sole nominee and her film has been forgotten.

Andra doesn’t have the momentum despite her GG win. The buzz has all but died.

Frances won BAFTA, which could indicate some support, but that was only against Vanessa. She also benefits from Nomadland being the big frontrunner for Best Picture and Best Director, but she’s not the face of the film. She’s also not campaigning. She does have a path to victory, though.

Viola won SAG, which definitely indicates support, but the acting branch is only roughly around 2/9 of the Academy voters. That, and she is in a non-BP contender and her costar is (probably) winning Best Actor. If she wins, it would be the first time since 1997 when Lead Actor and Lead Actress went to the same film. I don’t see that honor going to Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. She also has a path to victory, though.

That leaves Carey. Yes, Nomadland is the frontrunner for Best Picture, but Promising Young Woman is arguably the runner-up due to it sweeping the screenplay wins for Fennell. She wasn’t nominated at BAFTA, so we’ll never know if she won there, but the film itself winning Best British Film over The Father (which overperformed at BAFTA) indicates support. She also won AACTA, which doesn’t sound like much, I know, but that has some Academy voters (she won over Viola and Frances, too). And she is the face of the film, unlike Frances, where if you think of PYW, you think of Carey, but if you think of Nomadland, you think of Chloe Zhao, not Frances.

I could be completely wrong, but that’s where I stand right now.

Movie-lover overall.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)’ is closed to new replies.