Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 508 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Who is Clayton Davis? And where did I say PYW can’t win screenplay? If people actually read my post I said it can’t win only Screenplay as a major award, my opinion is it’s winning 2.

That’s not what George is saying. He said that even though he is predicting Mulligan, he could easily see the movie win screenplay and nothing else.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Who is Clayton Davis? And where did I say PYW can’t win screenplay? If people actually read my post I said it can’t win only Screenplay as a major award, my opinion is it’s winning 2.

Clayton’s a ridiculous human being who pulls shit out of his ass a lot, but that’s besides the point. Where do you get the idea that it has to win both Actress and Screenplay? Just explain that to me cause I don’t get it

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

Prediction:
    1. Andra Day
    2. Viola Davis
    3. Carey Mulligan
    4. Frances McDormand
    5. Vanessa Kirby

Preference:
    1. Carey Mulligan
    2. Frances McDormand
    3. Vanessa Kirby
    4. Andra Day
    5. Viola Davis

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Just as the Academy won’t snub both women nominated for BD they won’t snub both black women nominated for BA this year.

Profile picture
    A G Wooding
    Topics:

I think I’ve made my final switch in this category and I’m going with Frances. It’s more a compromise than a prediction really, she just seems the least risky to me.

I wanted to buy into Andra Day due to the stat that 1 of the 2 Globe winners has won the Best Actress Oscar as far back as Halle Berry but there just hasn’t been a year like this in Best Actress before.

And those Globe winners who went on to win their Oscars? They ALL managed to pick up 1 more precursor along the way. Andra Day hasn’t. She could have taken Critics Choice and she didn’t even make Bafta longlist.

To find anything even close to this craziness you have to look at the supporting actor/actress races where James Coburn, Marcia Gay Harden and Tilda Swinton won.

Coburn and Harden won despite winning no precursors but that stat only helps Vanessa Kirby who just lost on her home turf to an American who already won 3 years ago. So she’s out for me.

Meanwhile Swinton won nothing, picked up Bafta then took home the Oscar which would be Frances’ path too. As I said, less a prediction than a compromise in a crazy/fun race.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Swinton wasn’t winning a third Oscar or even a second. She was also the only one in a Best Picture nominee when there’s two here

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Did tomei win anything prior to the oscar? Im fairly certain My cousin vinnie wasnt a best picture nom.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Just as the Academy won’t snub both women nominated for BD they won’t snub both black women nominated for BA this year.

Possible.

But to rule out either Mulligan or McDormand in this race when they’re in top Best Picture contenders (one of their films being the far and away frontrunner) is absolutely delusional.

This Oscar could go to any of Davis, Day, McDormand and Mulligan.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    A G Wooding
    Topics:

Swinton wasn’t winning a third Oscar or even a second. She was also the only one in a Best Picture nominee when there’s two here

Good points.

I guess part of it is how impressed I was that Frances won Bafta the other night. Brits aren’t exactly slow to vote for their own and they had ample opportunity in that category. Even with Frances being in a best picture nominee, they shouldn’t have been so eager to award her again so soon but they did it.

I certainly wouldn’t put any money on my prediction and I don’t blame people for leaning towards Carey Mulligan, Viola Davis or Andra Day but I feel people aren’t giving Frances enough credit for her Bafta win.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Please oh please to the AMPAS: Whether it is with Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom or not.. Can you please change the face of the stat, that there can’t be two lead winners from a non best picture nominee?! I know you will soon.. Ok, thanks in advance.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Possible.

But to rule out either Mulligan or McDormand in this race when they’re in top Best Picture contenders (one of their films being the far and away frontrunner) is absolutely delusional.

This Oscar could go to any of Davis, Day, McDormand and Mulligan.

I’m sure everyone knows by now that McDormand has her Oscar in BP and PYM is getting Screenplay as a consolation prize. I’m confident that voters won’t pass up the chance to have a historic all-POC winning lineup.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Except Chloé Zhao literally swept the season with both critics & industry folks. Day and Davis haven’t. The former is considered the best by the majority of people, the latter two are not.

I hope people understand that diversity and inclusion don’t mean full POC winner lineups from now on. I feel like some were upset that Hopkins and McDormand ruined the picture and started the ‘white privilege or ‘racism’ comments. Now, it can be a very disappointing place to be if people expect Hollywood to change overnight. Or to think white people will not win awards from now on.

It would really take out a lot of fun if people would start this “they are white, so of course they won” or “these black performers won because of politics and inclusion” thing. Neither is fair to the performers.

Carey Mulligan and Frances McDormand are simply the most acclaimed names on this list. The way Kaluuya and Youn are the most acclaimed names in supporting. The way Boseman is just as acclaimed as Ahmed and Hopkins.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m sure everyone knows by now that McDormand has her Oscar in BP and PYM is getting Screenplay as a consolation prize. I’m confident that voters won’t pass up the chance to have a historic all-POC winning lineup.

I’m predicting Davis but I think you have to be a bit biased to say that <i>Promising Young Woman </i>is getting screenplay as its “consolation prize”.

Whilst I don’t think it “has to win Actress” to be second or third in Best Picture, it could very easily win Best Actress as a result of its strength in Picture. Especially considering how it arguably would have won the equivalent award at BAFTA under the old system considering how it was stronger than The Father there (through its Best British Film win) and that film won the lead actor award over a much stronger competitor.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Except Chloé Zhao literally swept the season with both critics & industry folks. Day and Davis haven’t. The former is considered the best by the majority of people, the latter two are not.

I hope people understand that diversity and inclusion don’t mean full POC winner lineups from now on. I feel like some were upset that Hopkins and McDormand ruined the picture and started the ‘white privilege or ‘racism’ comments. Now, it can be a very disappointing place to be if people expect Hollywood to change overnight. Or to think white people will not win awards from now on.

It would really take out a lot of fun if people would start this “they are white, so of course they won” or “these black performers won because of politics and inclusion” thing. Neither is fair to the performers.

Carey Mulligan and Frances McDormand are simply the most acclaimed names on this list. The way Kaluuya and Youn are the most acclaimed names in supporting. The way Boseman is just as acclaimed as Ahmed and Hopkins.

Huh? Who said they had to pick all POC lineups every year??

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Whomever wins I’m glad this is going to be over soon. It feels like we’ve going around in circles for 84 years between the “this performance can’t win”, people actually refusing to predict contenders because of bias and other falsely saying “you’re biased against this contender even though you have them 2nd” and the “they said this they said that” that comes in the middle.

Gosh I’m already dreading the Gaga vs Dunst fights next year lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)’ is closed to new replies.