Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 508 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    blackandproudddk
    Topics:

Because they are spanning the site with similar posts that have no relevance in the conversation.

I think that racism is relevant to this conversation somehow. If I can’t express my views like other people are able to do on this website why is it not okay for me to express my views. Nah cuz!!!!!! We are talking about the Best Actress Oscar being won by a dark skinned lady of colour (no spam there!!!) and I’ve been deleted….. ummmmmm????

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I think that racism is relevant to this conversation somehow. If I can’t express my views like other people are able to do on this website why is it not okay for me to express my views. Nah cuz!!!!!! We are talking about the Best Actress Oscar being won by a dark skinned lady of colour (no spam there!!!) and I’ve been deleted….. ummmmmm????

There’s Viola stans rooting for her who don’t come here spamming. I’m not saying you should get banned, but you are spamming shit here

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

There is a way to express your opinion. You just gotta work on your communication. No one is banning you for being gay or being black. Plenty of different people from different places and ethnicities around. It’s not an issue. It makes the whole conversation more vivid, more representative.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Pretty sure Ronan wasn’t runner-up, even with the Golden Globe win. Sally Hawkins on the other hand… 🙂 I feel like Lady Bird was never really a serious threat for key Oscar wins. Promising Young Woman can take both Actress, Original Screenplay, and it’s possibly in Top 3-4 for Best Picture.

I doubt that Hawkins was in a higher place than streep, much less ronan. Doesnt matter regardless cuz neither stood a chance but still.

It def stood a chance in screenplay which was a 3-way race.

Yea PYC has had a better award season and the oscars it’ll probably take will reflect that but Lady Bird’s horrid award season is over-stated

Profile picture
    blackandproudddk
    Topics:

My guess is either mods think he’s a troll or users (again not me) are reporting him for spam

“mods think he’s a troll” OH.MY.DAYS. Why’s that???????? I wonder why that is 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 I have not said anything offensive or rude to anyone. I have simply stated that I’m a PROUD GAY BLACK MAN and Viola’s going to win the Oscar!!!!!!! How’s dat being a troll. Why have I been deleted??? STOP whitewashing me. My views are relevant just like other peoples. This is 2021!!!!!!!!! #end racism👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿

Profile picture
    blackandproudddk
    Topics:

There’s Viola stans rooting for her who don’t come here spamming. I’m not saying you should get banned, but you are spamming shit here

excuse me there was someone on here saying their son was a pedo, but their white so it’s fine!!!!!! I’m sorry if saying I’m black has offended you, I’ll get my lawyer to apologise officially shall I ? Cos dats called DISCRIMINATION

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Ugh you’re getting in my head with doubts again. I just think that she would’ve won because of the lack of competition. I know about Pike, but I don’t know that she’d stand much of a chance against the one who’s in a Best Picture contender not just at Globes but at Oscars

I wasn’t arguing against Mulligan winning the Oscar lol, just thinking about the HFPAs eccentricities. I think it sus how 90 people with very specific tastes (and a lot of shady practices) are given such weight in the race. They have such strange quirks and tendencies. Those Music noms still send.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

PYC? PYM? MBB? POW?

Some of these typos in these acronyms of these films have been interesting to read…

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

PYC? PYM? MBB? POW?

Some of these typos in these acronyms of these films have been interesting to read…

POW by PTA starring MBB

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Shaunie Jean
    Topics:

What do Christopher Waltz, Jodie Foster, Tom Hanks, Mahershala Ali,  Meryl Streep, Glenda Jackson, Hilary Swank, Sally Field, Olivia de Haviland, Bette Davis, Louise Rainer, Jason Robards, Kevin Spacey and Walter Brennan all have in common? All are actors who set the precedent for 2 Oscar wins within a 5 year time span. The Academy has a penchant for repeatedly awarding its most beloved of talents in quick succession. Several of the aforementioned wins occurred without a coinciding BP nod.

Therefore, the argument that Academy voters would be hesitant to award Viola twice in 4 years is foolishly ridiculous. Davis’ winners path could mirrow Streep’s perfectly. SA–4yrs–BA.

Actually, MRBB‘s lack of a BP nod ultimately has minimal effect on VD’s chances. 8 of the last 20 BA winners did not have a corresponding BP bid consequently triumphing over actresses from BP nominees.

I don’t believe Carey Mulligan will win for several reasons. Primarily, the Academy does not have the same passion for her as the critics do. Case in point, Mudbound got 4 nods (Mary J. Blige got 2 noms including SA) where was Carey Mulligan? Nowhere to be found.  CM’s film releases the past 11 years have only netted 2 nods. During the same timeframe, Davis had 4 noms &  a win. Secondly, CM may have won numerous critics awards but only 1 precursor and the weakest one at that. Mulligan’s U.S. celebrity profile is C-list at best, she’s barely known as witnessed by the apathetic demos/ratings to her SNL appearance.

Unfortunately, Oscar doesn’t usually reward twisted anti-heroine roles like PYW‘s Cassie just ask Glenn Close, Sharon Stone, Annette Bening, Rooney Mara, Rosamund Pike and Margot Robbie. Besides PYW has a problematic narrative too far steeped in white feminism and rape revenge fantasy to even consider Nina, the actual victim, who’s never heard from during the film. Historically, roles like Cassie are usually a turn off to large swaths of Oscar voters, male & female.

Now onto the elephant in the room, unfortunately race does factor into this year’s race (pun intended). All of the major entertainment award entities have magnified diversity within the ranks of their annual recognition of artists this year. The Emmys (Drama/LS/GCA), Golden Globes and SAG have all crowned black lead actresses in history making wins during this awards season. At the pending 2020 Tonys, 4 of the 7 nominees in both BA categories are WOC. The shameful history of near invisibility for female minority performers is painfully visible in Oscar’s BA moreso than any other category…no contest!

The timing is right for a historic BA win. A 2nd of anything is not historic, its just the next in line. Day would just be the 2nd while Davis would be the first black woman with 2 acting wins, following Denzel and Marheshala into the record books. The inclusion of Halle Berry, Angela Bassett, Zendaya & Regina King in this year’s ceremony only strengthens my prediction. Collectively, they have 7 Emmy and 2 Oscar wins.

If the Academy didn’t award Lady Gaga, Bette Midler, Judy Garland, Diahann Carroll or Diana Ross as ‘singers who act’ why would Andra Day be any different? Day has an 0-4 track record at the Grammys and with no wins there’s little prooof of music industry support. While talented, Day is not in the same vocal league as singing actress winners Barbara Streisand or Jennifer Hudson. Besides, USvBH was not well received by critics or viewers.

I could be wrong and anything is possible. However, it is 2021 not 1973 and the Academy won’t let the opportunity of 2 black performers nominated in BA to slip by again. VD has the clout, pedigree and peer respect to nab this win, its virtually a done deal. McDormand is the wildcard spoiler for me.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

POW by PTA starring MBB

Written by GdT

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    amydunne
    Topics:

pls reading through this forum has been a JOURNEY 😭😭

FYC: Carey Mulligan & Daniel Kaluuya

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

omg now that I read the typo, PYC would get me in quite the bit of trouble lolz

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I know it’s irrelevant but thought it might be worth mentioning, in UK I’ve seen a few Promising Young Woman adverts on regular Freeview channels this week. I found it surprising as it’s the first advert for any contender I’ve seen on television here.

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

What I feel is that it is difficult for many to understand that when we talk about prizes, personal judgment always comes before the general narrative. So Viola Davis, as an actress nominated for a certain portrayal, is always a bigger part of the decision than the general demand that “it would be nice to have more black winners in this category.”

Throughout the season, pro-Viola’s arguments were about how good it would be to finally have a second black actress winner in the Lead Actress category, but never that Viola has the best reviews or that she won the most critics awards and she swept the awards season, that she is the audience favorite. It wasn’t about that… because she is far from having the best reviews & acclaim in the category, because she barely won critics’ prizes, because she didn’t sweep the awards season at all, and because the consensus doesn’t consider her the best in this category.

So sorry I have to be this direct, but if Glenn Close doesn’t have enough general respect after 8 nominations to win, then Viola won’t have enough either. I don’t think anyone outside of her fan base would feel like she should be given an Oscar in four years just to fit her victory into a larger narrative that has little to do with merit.

I’m not saying Viola can’t win. But it would be good to finally read a pro-Viola argument that doesn’t exaggerate Viola’s general respect (she is respected and the most successful black woman in terms of Academy Awards history, but it is very rare for someone to receive a second – third prize in such a short time without an undeniable performance and a strong film) and that wouldn’t suggest that the actress should win because of a bigger narrative, because that narrative also literally exists for Andra Day and will exist in the future for every black actress to come. And it existed before with Cynthia Erivo, Ruth Negga, Gabourey Sidibe, Angela Bassett, Alfre Woodard, etc. We just sadly forgot about that for some reason.

The door will not close if Viola Davis does not win a second Oscar this year. Moreover, even if she will never win a second Oscar. Next year and in the years to come, there may be other black actresses who will complete the great narrative and possibly who will also have an undeniable performance.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)’ is closed to new replies.