Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 508 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

It’s useless to compare a 30-years old movie with something that debuted 4 months ago.

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

I had a dream last night that kirby won and this thread descended into utter chaos with heads exploding.

I had a dream last night that I become the richest man in the world.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Well, the first half of your profile name wishes he was that.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

That would not be a pleasant reality to live in

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

I genuinely feel like predicting Kirby just for fun, seeing as I still have a 3/4 chance of being wrong with the others. Imagine if GG-CC-SAG-BAFTA-AMPAS all went to different people. It would honestly be iconic.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Shaunie Jean
    Topics:

I will be the first to admit that Carey Mulligan gave one of the most thought provoking and button pushing performances of modern cinema. I am pleased to no end that this film has promoted positive dialogue within your immediate social circle. In all sincerity, I mean that. I am all for anything that moves society towards better.

With that being said, I believe you are severely overestimating the cultural impact of PYW. Comparing 30, 50, 70 even 90 year old films to more recent ones would be the most practical course taken within the context of an informed Oscars discussion.  Thelma & Louise kicked off 1992’s  “Year of the Woman” a year long cultural recognition thrust celebrating and honoring the accomplishments of women. This film kicked down the doors for female characterizations like Cassie and Amy to fully blossom onscreen. Not since Davis & Sarandon has their been one film, dual nods in Actor or Actress Assuredly, the awards won during that time were comparable to now. Of course, anyone with a internet connection can invent a film critics society. I digress.

Impact!

After Thelma & Louise, the Oscars shifted its tastes where female centric films like Erin Brockovich, The Hours, Chicago, The Piano, Monster and Boys Don’t Cry received recognition.

What Mulligan & Fennell have accomplished is not new or revolutionary, as a matter of fact, they namestamp the ‘feminist’ BP nominee they’ve come to fashion the last few years. Its all lip service. Bombshell, Lady Bird, Little Women all failed in their bids.

My primary problem with PYW is the complete silencing of Nina, the actual sexual assault victim. She is never seen on screen. Her voice is never heard. Cassie’s voice is not Nina’s voice. Cassie is a sick and demented person who earned her destiny. I cannot fully get behind her character as she sank to the depths of depravity simply because she had nothing better to do. That is how the characterization came across to me. The film was visually appealing with all of the glossy pinks and brightness in direct contrast to seedy dysfunctional drama unfolding onscreen. A cute trick but it doesn’t distract the thinking mind from pondering why is the victim silenced throughout?

Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

At the end of the day, all of them won an award for their performances already (with Kirby getting Volpi Cup). Good for them.

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

Personally, I just have Andra Day at No. 1 because I have no idea what to do.

luca no don’t give up on viola </3

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

I had a dream last night that kirby won and this thread descended into utter chaos with heads exploding.

i had a dream last night may adams won from write in votes because they feel awful for not rewarding her for arrival

also guys it’s just a week left, we can do this without going absolute nuts

Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

My primary problem with PYW is the complete silencing of Nina, the actual sexual assault victim. She is never seen on screen. Her voice is never heard. Cassie’s voice is not Nina’s voice. Cassie is a sick and demented person who earned her destiny. I cannot fully get behind her character as she sank to the depths of depravity simply because she had nothing better to do. That is how the characterization came across to me. The film was visually appealing with all of the glossy pinks and brightness in direct contrast to seedy dysfunctional drama unfolding onscreen. A cute trick but it doesn’t distract the thinking mind from pondering why is the victim silenced throughout?

Cassie is not demented or sick. Let’s stop stigmatizing women who are traumatized, depressed and are carrying survivor’s guilt.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

At the end of the day, all of them won an award for their performances already (with Kirby getting Volpi Cup). Good for them.

Yeah. It’s pretty iconic how nobody was left in the dust.

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

YES! People so easily like to forget that it was Kirby who started this all off with her big Venice win. Even if she wins nothing else, that was a major get in a “spread-the-wealth” sort of year.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

luca no don’t give up on viola </3

Oh, don’t worry. She came through at SAG without me predicting her. Good faith will keep her chances alive!!

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

“Carey Mulligan Boards Adam Sandler Netflix Movie ‘Spaceman’” https://deadline.com/2021/04/carey-mulligan-joins-adam-sandler-netflix-movie-spaceman-1234734945/ Razzie nominee Carey Mulligan? LOL

I read the article and it doesn’t sound like a comedy? Am I getting the wrong impression

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

Carey loves working with Netflix….

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)’ is closed to new replies.