Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 508 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

I’m predicting Davis but I think you have to be a bit biased to say that <i>Promising Young Woman </i>is getting screenplay as its “consolation prize”.

Whilst I don’t think it “has to win Actress” to be second or third in Best Picture, it could very easily win Best Actress as a result of its strength in Picture. Especially considering how it arguably would have won the equivalent award at BAFTA under the old system considering how it was stronger than The Father there (through its Best British Film win) and that film won the lead actor award over a much stronger competitor.

I hear ya, but the same argument could have been made and was made for Sissy Spacek in back 2001. HW loves to pat itself on the back every now and then. Watch history repeat itself.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Except Chloé Zhao literally swept the season with both critics & industry folks. Day and Davis haven’t. The former is considered the best by the majority of people, the latter two are not. I hope people understand that diversity and inclusion don’t mean full POC winner lineups from now on. I feel like some were upset that Hopkins and McDormand ruined the picture and started the ‘white privilege or ‘racism’ comments. Now, it can be a very disappointing place to be if people expect Hollywood to change overnight. Or to think white people will not win awards from now on. It would really take out a lot of fun if people would start this “they are white, so of course they won” or “these black performers won because of politics and inclusion” thing. Neither is fair to the performers. Carey Mulligan and Frances McDormand are simply the most acclaimed names on this list. The way Kaluuya and Youn are the most acclaimed names in supporting. The way Boseman is just as acclaimed as Ahmed and Hopkins.

Who was mad at the mcdormand win? At best there was some grumbling cuz she was the obvious pick had nothing to do with  a white woman  winning a bafta that she was the frontrunner for.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Huh? Who said they had to pick all POC lineups every year??

Well, you said you are confident that voters won’t pass up the chance to have a historic all-POC winning lineup. I’m here to tell you to lower your expectations 🙂

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Yeah, I don’t think the academy gives a sh*t about having a non-White winners slate. Don’t forget they bothered to nominate one (!!) non-White actor last year.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

she was the obvious pick had nothing to do with a white woman winning a bafta that she was the frontrunner for.

Is that what that was?

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Well, you said you are confident that voters won’t pass up the chance to have a historic all-POC winning lineup. I’m here to tell you to lower your expectations 🙂

I was only speaking for this year in the aftermath of BLM and the ongoing George Floyd trial. I’m not that optimistic to think this will repeat often lol.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I hear ya, but the same argument could have been made and was made for Sissy Spacek in 2002. HW loves to pat itself on the back every now and then. Watch history repeat itself.

I’m sorry but this is the most superficial response I have read on this site. How are Sissy Spacek and Carey Mulligan comparable?

I understand from our previous encounters that you’re rooting for and predicting Andra Day but comparing her to Halle Berry makes no sense. This Oscars race shares no similarities with that one. If anyone is the Halle Berry of this year it will be Viola Davis (both generated buzz from their SAG wins).

Anyway I just think it’s a bit daft in general (and this applicable to all) to rule out any of Andra Day, Viola Davis, Carey Mulligan and Frances McDormand from winning.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Well, Halle Berry won against Sissy at the Oscars with just a SAG win. There’s the parellel😅

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well, Halle Berry won against Sissy at the Oscars with just a SAG win. There’s the parellel😅

That’s what I meant. If you’re paralleling this race with that one you should be predicting Viola Davis (as I am although not for that reason because that’s just a bizarre and out of nowhere comparison).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think what Piper Halliwell was meaning to say is that now people are using race to trash performances and fans of certain performances when they win over other people’s favourites.

When Frances McDormand and Carey Mulligan won at BAFTA and Critics Choice a bunch of fans of Andra Day (ironically some of whom had been trashing Viola Davis all season long and claimed that Andra is stealing “the black vote”) started to say that people who were voting for or rooting for either McDormand or Mulligan were racist and started trashing them. With some accusing others of being racially biased by having Andra Day in second (even though they were considering putting her first) and by not liking Zendaya’s performance in the mixed reviewed Malcolm and Marie. Even though McDormand and Mulligan give the two most acclaimed performances in this category and some of those users rooting for McDormand and Mulligan have also spoken out in support of under-recognised black performers like Wunmi Mosaku, Radha Blank and Nicole Beharie.

On the other side you have multiple users trashing Chadwick Boseman and Viola Davis’ performances dubbing potential wins for them as “political” and continuously making insensitive jokes about them, accusing others of “being sheep” when actually saying both gave good performances and starting to use the trope of there being a “black vote” in the academy and how that’s the only reason why either would possibly win.

I guess what Piper Halliwell is trying to point out is that the amount of trolls trashing good performances and supporters of said performance on the basis that they may win an Oscar over their “preferred performer” is getting further out of hand and slipping down a dangerous slope.

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

With all the stan wars happening, who is winning Best Actress at the GoldDerby awards?

Profile picture
    Yiploo
    Topics:

Can we all just take a moment and pay some respect to Sissy Spacek in In the Bedroom? She was so good. It’s a shame that she hasn’t been in contention for awards ever since.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Two-Time Academy Award Winner Viola Davis.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

as no way in hell a 5 time nominated film takes two major Oscars.

Green Book took three just two years ago

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Honestly, I really loved Halle Berry’s win. She should get way more credit for her performance. Yes, it’s a messy film, but her performance is really heartbreaking. Then again, I’m a big fan of hers.

Profile picture
    Yiploo
    Topics:

If spreading the wealth is the logic, then there’s no reason to spread any wealth to Day and Kirby and their overlooked movies, and since Nomadland is taking the two highest prizes already, MRBB is taking best actor and two smaller technical awards. So it sounds pretty logical to spread a bit more wealth to the potential Best Picture runner-up Promising Young Woman like what they did with Manchester by the Sea (starring Michelle Mulligan) and Casey Affleck.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Two-Time Academy Award Winner Viola Davis.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)’ is closed to new replies.