Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 508 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    aahoto
    Topics:

If Mulligan wins it will revolutionize the nature of Academy award winning roles for Lead Actress which is why I’m rooting for her so hard.

I came to this thread to write basically the same thing.

The only performance I haven’t seen is Day’s, but I’ve been thinking about Promising Young Woman non-stop and I NEED Mulligan to win, because we need the character of Cassie to be an Oscar-winning role.

We need more female anti-heroes in cinema. Yesterday.

Profile picture
    aahoto
    Topics:

I think it’s fair to say that her tactics are similarly “sick and depraved” to those of, let’s say John Wick

John Wick straight-up murders people. What even are these takes, my God.

The character of Cassie was sick and depraved in my opinion.

The MEN in the film are the depraved ones. The only time Cassie threatened actual violence, it didn’t happen!

I feel like some people watched a different movie.

Cassie didn’t go far enough, in my opinion. 😉

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I came to this thread to write basically the same thing. The only performance I haven’t seen is Day’s, but I’ve been thinking about Promising Young Woman non-stop and I NEED Mulligan to win, because we need the character of Cassie to be an Oscar-winning role. We need more female anti-heroes in cinema. Yesterday.

Agreed, at least if Mulligan or McDormand won, it would be an original take, do we really need another biopic winner? It’s been so long since the last.

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Renee Zellweger last year?

It was sarcasm.

As a reminder though: there is only one biopic in contention.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Andra1

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I challenge anyone to find an exception of two actors winning a leading category and a supporting category or win both supporting categories without a Best Picture nomination.

The Miracle Worker and Hud.

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

The MEN in the film are the depraved ones. The only time Cassie threatened actual violence, it didn’t happen! I feel like some people watched a different movie. Cassie didn’t go far enough, in my opinion. 😉

Women have always been judged more harshly than men. Double standards are alive and well. I’ve seen so much hate for Cassie in these posts but none for the sexual predators she picks up in bars or for the rapist/murderer who ends up killing her. Somehow she’s still the depraved one and someone even listed all the criminal offenses she could be charged with…I-

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

1963 Jesus. Did you look at every single Oscar ceremony to find this? I stopped at 1975 lmao

Just at the films that won multiple acting awards lol. Both of the films mentioned had writing and directing nominations so I assume they’d get in a 5+ BP line-up.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Angela Basset was a Best Actress nominee in 1994! Whoopi Goldberg and Angela advocating for Andra Day strikes me that Black veterans in the industry will be voting for her. Oprah was nominated for The Color Purple too and is advocating for Day on her show and interviews! There will be no “vote split” that people made up to predict Mulligan.

I’m sad it’s not Davis. If she wins, I hope Day is going to be like Hepburn, Nyong’o and Andrews who continued their legacy with another incredible performances. It will be a big upset for the whole industry if she chooses not to widen her film career.

Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

Yikes. Also, who is Kuya?

Daniel… Kuyeee… Kaluwa… Kaleluya… Kaua…

– Tiffany Haddish, Oscar Nominations 2018.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Daniel… Kuyeee… Kaluwa… Kaleluya… Kaua…

Tiffany Haddish, Oscar Nominations 2018.

Didn’t she call him Kaaleluya? That was SO funny

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Angela Basset was a Best Actress nominee in 1994! Whoopi Goldberg and Angela advocating for Andra Day strikes me that Black veterans in the industry will be voting for her. Oprah was nominated for The Color Purple too and is advocating for Day on her show and interviews! There will be no “vote split” that people made up to predict Mulligan.

My strong sense is that many people— perhaps MOST people— admire and have praised the work of more than one nominee. Just as I don’t assume that everybody who has praised Carey Mulligan will actually vote for Carey, I don’t assume that everyone who has praised Andra Day will vote for Andra. In addition, there are less than 10,000 people eligible to vote for the Oscars, and only 14% of the voting members are actors. It’s likely that many people who have been quoted supporting specific performers aren’t AMPAS members and won’t be voting. (I assume Whoopi Goldberg, Angela Bassett and Oprah Winfrey are eligible to vote, but I really don’t know, and I wouldn’t assume that even if they are, that they will be voting for Andra over Viola, or possibly a different nominee.)

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

That’s true but when you have prominent figures like Oprah and Whoopi Goldberg praising Day on their show which is watched by millions of Americans including voters I have a strong feeling these voters will feel compelled to vote for the person based off the recognition of industry giants. Look at how Harvey campaigned Meryl to no end that got everyone voting for Streep in the end she won the Oscar. When voters are sheep they follow the people whom they admire and vote for the person their admiring actor rallies behind.

FYI. You may be unaware that Oprah has praised Viola and interviewed her about Ma Rainey (see https://film.netflixawards.com/ma-raineys-black-bottom/1615253046866-oprahviolaqa) and Whoopi has also praised Viola and interviewed her about the film on The View. (See https://youtu.be/51hnCYfAFWo)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Some of these arguments are becoming truly sad.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

That was so long ago though. Whoopi and Oprah praised Day in the past few weeks. Then you have Basset doing a cover interview with Day just in time for Oscar voting.

Has anyone else noticed that you registered for Gold Derby TODAY, April 16th? I think we’ll all draw our own conclusions….

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)’ is closed to new replies.