Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 508 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Something tells me we’re still gonna try figuring out who is gonna win days after the show passes

This is gonna be worse than the US election at this point

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

This race is so bonkers that im not even guessing based on performance, Im just defaulting to the original favorite cuz that makes the most sense at the moment

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

After watching all 5 performances, this was one of the stronger years in this category.

Andra Day impressed me by really selling and committing to the role but that film was a mess. It sometimes doesn’t even feel like a movie but one of those scene recreations in some random crime documentary. She would be such a shoe in if the movie was better. This role is the definition of Oscar bait. That reason alone makes me tempted to predict her.

However, I think I am going down with the Viola ship. It’s a better performance in a better film with more support across the board. The transformation is going to wow a lot of people. Her scenes are meaty enough. I know 4 wins for Ma Rainey is crazy but this is an atypical year.

Final prediction: Viola Davis, “MA Rainey’s Black Bottom”
    Personal pick: Carey Mulligan, “Promising Young Woman “

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

A lot of black actors in the Academy will back Day. She’s the underdog. They’re tired of Viola greedy ness. They want other black women to rise and win awards.

the way you trash viola every given chance possible while viola is out there actively using her platform and talking about more chances for black women in films/television series… you make her seem like some awards thirsty creature just because she loves what she is doing, knows she is good at it and wants recognition for her work like her fellow actors who just happens to be white

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Is Sundance doing their annual Close-Up (The Hollywood Reporter) roundtable discussions with actors, actresses, directors, writers and producers this year? Or has the pandemic put a kibosh on it??? I would love a roundtable with as many of the 10 actresses nominated this year as possible!!!

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Is Sundance doing their annual Close-Up (The Hollywood Reporter) roundtable discussions with actors, actresses, directors, writers and producers this year? Or has the pandemic put a kibosh on it??? I would love a roundtable with as many of the 10 actresses nominated this year as possible!!!

They’ve already done them I think

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

They’ve already done them I think

Oh thanks – perhaps they are available online??

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Oh thanks – perhaps they are available online??

Should be on YouTube

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Chaplin
    Topics:

I have finally seen Promising Young Woman, wow. Carey Mulligan is absoltely amazing in this film. Even if she doesnt win I think this performance and film will be rembered for a long time, and I hope that The Academy embraces more films and performances like this in the future.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

I love it when people make such statements as though their opinion is word. Believe it or not, there are people who just loved Viola’s performance. I know it’s hard for some people to believe, but it is what it is.

Say that shit, Luca! Exactly what he just said, yup!!

Profile picture
    NotsocreativeUsername
    Topics:

Carey was definitely my second choice after Frances. They were both extraordinary on opposite ends of the spectrum. If only there could be a Kate-Babz level tie (like 1969?)

and I know how we talk about “it’s too soon” and “she’ll get one for best picture” but a number of actors have won back-to-back (or almost) in recent years. Mahershala Ali, for example. Christoph Waltz. Why can’t people put greater focus on the performance – the TALENT! – and less on the appearance of their final determinations? (Example: “oh, I can’t vote for AB. I haven’t voted for any black people yet so I must vote for CD instead” even though CD’s performance was vastly inferior.)

Profile picture
    na digga
    Topics:

A lot of people have implied that Davis’ role is typical Oscar bait. But that’s far from true, at least in terms of black actresses. In the past Black actresses have had to play the “mammy”, strip nude or their characters would have to endure some traumatic level of pain to win, including Davis in Fences. In MRBB, Davis is strong and resilient. She never has to become “weak” or endure trauma to show her vulnerability. *Spoiler* When she comes to the realization that she’s being used for her voice, you can see the vulnerability and the hurt in her eyes. But she never cries or becomes small to convey that emotion. And she manages to display sex appeal without having to get nude, despite her character not conveying typical beauty standards. It’s also very rare that black lgbt women are showcased in a feminine light in film. What she does in this movie is truly a masterclass of acting. Regardless of who wins, she’s deserving of her nomination, and she isn’t just a typical Oscar nominee.

Viola Davis is the Greatest of our time!!!

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

I’m already used to seeing crazy remarks in the forums. But today I was reading the goldderby article ‘5 reasons why Carey Mulligan (‘Promising Young Woman’) is still on track to win Best Actress Oscar‘ which is absolutely a hot mess. The editor suggests that Davis and Day will split because of the similarities in their roles. When their roles are VERY different, plus they didn’t split at globes. This narrative needs to stop.

Then the editor also says “Also, keep in mind that with Chadwick Boseman looking like a slam dunk for “Ma Rainey,” it’s not as important to also reward recent Oscar champ Davis” 🧐 it’s not important?? A black women could make history a few times over as the second black actress(first if you consider Berry to be biracial) to win best actress and could become the first black actress to win multiple Oscars and the most awarded black actress and one of the first black actresses to win for a non stereotypical role, and that’s not important?? I get the passion for Mulligan, but you can want Mulligan to win without making ridiculous statements.

POW!! 💥

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Viola Davis or Andra Day is winning. Can’t believe you guys kept going after SAG. You even did the nudity nonsense.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)’ is closed to new replies.