Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 508 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Angela Basset was a Best Actress nominee in 1994! Whoopi Goldberg and Angela advocating for Andra Day strikes me that Black veterans in the industry will be voting for her. Oprah was nominated for The Color Purple too and is advocating for Day on her show and interviews! There will be no “vote split” that people made up to predict Mulligan.

Uh, I hate to break it to you, and this is in no way shape a form a diss towards, Andra. But, those actresses have said the same thing about Viola. Oprah has done a special on Viola and has gushed over her performance in Ma Rainey’s. Whoopi, same thing when Viola appeared on The View. We have no way of knowing who they will vote for. More than anything, I believe these ladies are just ecstatic to have 2 women that look like them in contention. This is a monumental event, sadly..

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

A lot of people have implied that Davis’ role is typical Oscar bait. But that’s far from true, at least in terms of black actresses. In the past Black actresses have had to play the “mammy”, strip nude or their characters would have to endure some traumatic level of pain to win, including Davis in Fences. In MRBB, Davis is strong and resilient. She never has to become “weak” or endure trauma to show her vulnerability. *Spoiler* When she comes to the realization that she’s being used for her voice, you can see the vulnerability and the hurt in her eyes. But she never cries or becomes small to convey that emotion. And she manages to display sex appeal without having to get nude, despite her character not conveying typical beauty standards. It’s also very rare that black lgbt women are showcased in a feminine light in film. What she does in this movie is truly a masterclass of acting. Regardless of who wins, she’s deserving of her nomination, and she isn’t just a typical Oscar nominee.

na digga, all of this right here!

Profile picture
    Alan
    Topics:

This second BAFTA for McDormand was a makeup BAFTA for the one she lost for Fargo. 

Four-time Academy Award winner Frances McDormand

Two-time Academy Award winner Anthony Hopkins

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Let me chime in and say that Netflix is promoting the HELL out of Ma Rainey ATM.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Let me chime in and say that Netflix is promoting the HELL out of Ma Rainey ATM.

Indeed they are! We love to see it, (Luca voice)

Profile picture
    na digga
    Topics:

And Viola just won the Woman of the Year award from Harvard’s Hasty Pudding Theatricals. She’s been racking up similar awards like the PSIFF Desert Palm Achievement Award, the Gotham awards’ Actress Tribute,the Icon Award from AAFCA. And also being placed in the top ten of the NYT list of Greatest actors and Michelle Obama calling her “the greatest”. So there is clearly passion for her too. And her winning these kinds of awards will only help her campaign and if not at least she’s gotten the recognition she deserves.

Viola Davis is the Greatest of our time!!!

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

They saw the potential after them SAG Awards results

They know their BP chances are almost dead but a His and Hers lead Oscar would look very good for them

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

It’s crazy how Ma Rainey has a chance of winning more Oscars than the eventual Best Picture winner.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Lol, watch Viola and Anthony win and have an even more surprising season-ending!

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

It’s crazy how Ma Rainey has a chance of winning more Oscars than the eventual Best Picture winner.

Nomadland has the potential to win 4 though: BP, Director, Adapted Screenplay and Cinematography, and even has a chance for Actress and Film Editing. I am not as convinced as others that MRBB will win both Makeup/Hairstyling and Costume Design, although it is competitive for both awards – so they could potentially both get 4 Oscars each…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I would try USvBH but once was more than enough.

That film was absolutely atrocious.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

“No one has won an Oscar portraying a real life Black person in a biopic”

This said I admit that we do lack black biopics Oscar-winning roles. Soooo many black icons to portray and only one won an Oscar ? Nah, this ain’t right

If Hollywood can’t write juicy roles for black women outside of the slave/maid narrative, at least let them play real life figures

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This said I admit that we do lack black biopics Oscar-winning roles. Soooo many black icons to portray and only one won an Oscar ? Nah, this ain’t right

Denzel should have won for Malcolm X and Angela should have won for What’s Love Got to Do with It.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

“No one has won an Oscar portraying a real life Black person in a biopic” This said I admit that we do lack black biopics Oscar-winning roles. Soooo many black icons to portray and only one won an Oscar ? Nah, this ain’t right

Even though I realize people dont want to brag about it but there’s also Idi Amin

null

Thankfully we’re at the very least getting Hampton this year to add to that

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Andra Day is winning. She is playing freaking Billie Holliday. Daunte Wright was killed on April 11. He was unarmed shot by a police officer. Billie Holiday exasperates a Black woman who is shun by the government singing a song about her people being lynched. So many White people have won for biopics of White people: Margaret Thatcher, Judy Garland, Winston Churchill, Freddie Mercury. No one has won an Oscar portraying a real life Black person in a biopic. The Academy has passed on MLK and Harriet Tubman. The time is now to honor a Black American icon legacy by rewarding Andra Day in a leading category with 2 Black women.

P.S: I am not campaigning for Andra Day. She gives a Razzie performance and literally makes the same face, tone of voice, and acting gestures throughout the film.

You conveniently erased both Jamie Foxx and Forest Whitaker from the Oscar winners list.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)’ is closed to new replies.