Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 496 through 508 (of 508 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Denzel should have won for Malcolm X and Angela should have won for What’s Love Got to Do with It.

And you think I’m gonna disagree with this ? Me ? Hihi

My girl Angela faced tough competition but Denzel straight up lost to an inferior performance and an overdue narrative. Winning an Oscar for playing Malcolm X and Tina Turner would have been perfect

And as much as I like to drag Halle Berry, I wish she had won her Oscar for Dorothy Dandrige (had it been an actual movie) instead of that Monster’s Ball trainwreck. Now that would have been pitch perfect and 100% deserving

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Shaunie Jean
    Topics:

You conveniently erased both Jamie Foxx and Forest Whitaker from the Oscar winners list.

Also, Mahershala Ali won BSA for his portrayal of real life concert pianist Dr. Don Shirley in Green Book.

So there you have it, 3 black male acting winners for portraying real life people. Why some of these may be forgotten probably is because Whittaker & Ali’s films weren’t stereotypical biopics as they only covered a specific timeframe of their subject’s lives.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Also, Mahershala Ali won BSA for his portrayal of real life concert pianist Dr. Don Shirley in Green Book. So there you have it, 3 black male acting winners for portraying real life people. Why some of these may be forgotten probably is because Whittaker & Ali’s films weren’t stereotypical biopics as they only covered a specific timeframe of their subject’s lives.

I believe most are trying to erase the thought of green book and oscars from our  collective memories.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I think we can agree that no matter who wins this is one of the best Best Actress lineups in years, we just all have our favorites.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I think we can agree that no matter who wins this is one of the best Best Actress lineups in years, we just all have our favorites.

And clearly the precursors also did. Iconic tbh

FYC :

Best Picture - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Dr. Manhattan
    Topics:

Let’s go with no Black actress has won for a biopic then.

This may not entirely count, but Lupita Nyong’o’s character in 12 Years a Slave was a real woman that Solomon Northup wrote about in his memoir. Regardless, though, we definitely haven’t had a black actress win a Leading Oscar for a biopic performance.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Andra and Viola are campaigning like hell. Every day it’s a new magazine cover or interview chile, they really want that black vote so bad

Now watch Frances clear them both after spending the entire season sleeping in her bed

FYC :

Best Picture - Nomadland

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

It’s a pretty solid lineup this year although it’s a shame that due to the still rather difficult task of recognizing foreign films in the acting categories that Jasna Duricic couldn’t gain traction for QUO VADIS AIDA?

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Jasna Duricic couldn’t gain traction for QUO VADIS AIDA?

This film was absolutely phenomenal and it’s a shame that because it lacks a distributor that it hasn’t gone far at all in these races. It shows how much it’s merited it’s inclusion by the fact it’s gone this far in the first place!

I’m glad Jasmila Zbanic was recognised at BAFTA. This film should be winning International Feature (although I am yet to see <i>Another Round </i>but I do think this film is stronger than the remaining nominees in this category).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

The thing is tho is who would Day be taking votes from? We have an idea where Mulligan, Davis, and even McDormand would get their votes from, but where would Day get hers? That’s why I’m so hesitant to predict her

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

The thing is tho is who would Day be taking votes from? We have an idea where Mulligan, Davis, and even McDormand would get their votes from, but where would Day get hers? That’s why I’m so hesitant to predict her

Trying to establish a strong voting body for Day is just tedious since we don’t know how much industry support she has. Industry giants Davis and McDormand won the two biggest industry awards so far (which is perfectly logical in hindsight) and seasoned actress Mulligan won’t struggle to get a lot too. But we don’t know about Day. She will be a revelation to many and irrelevant to others

Still can’t believe someone theorized she would get the “pervert vote” because of her nude scenes. That whole discussion was just.. not it

FYC :

Best Picture - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

I think Day is the Huppert of the season. That Golden Globe locked her nomination, but I just can’t see a path for her win without SAG and BAFTA (not even the shortlist) nominations

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

No one was beating Emma Stone. Rosamund Pike is not even nominated.

I didn’t intend to compare the race but yeah, at the same time, Andra Day is weaker than Huppert lol at least she had critics behind her and name recognition

Viewing 13 posts - 496 through 508 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 46)’ is closed to new replies.