Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 500 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I watched the Ellen interview of Andra Day and she said her stage name was actually inspired by Billie Holiday. She also said she’s never smoked in her life but started smoking cigarettes for the role because it was the right thing to do for portraying Billie.

Girl like I said before if Lee Daniels made a competent film like Judy, Andra Day would be sweeping this. Frankly Day and Billie Holiday deserve better.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It had SAG ensemble as well.

BAFTA too.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Maybe Scott Rubin’s allegations will help Mulligan’s chances of winning considering Youn is winning because of Asian American violence.

She won the BAFTA and Asian Americans do not reside in the UK it’s important you know that…

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I watched the Ellen interview of Andra Day and she said her stage name was actually inspired by Billie Holiday. She also said she’s never smoked in her life but started smoking cigarettes for the role because it was the right thing to do for portraying Billie. Girl like I said before if Lee Daniels made a competent film like Judy, Andra Day would be sweeping this. Frankly Day and Billie Holiday deserve better.

And if Billie Holiday got released earlier and if there was a Makeup nomination to support it

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

I watched the Ellen interview of Andra Day and she said her stage name was actually inspired by Billie Holiday. She also said she’s never smoked in her life but started smoking cigarettes for the role because it was the right thing to do for portraying Billie. Girl like I said before if Lee Daniels made a competent film like Judy, Andra Day would be sweeping this. Frankly Day and Billie Holiday deserve better.

gawd not another method actor… also did she mention anything about pursuing a career in acting other than saying she wants to work with Lee Daniels again?

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

I’m getting this itchy feeling that Viola will win this category, which is so divided to the point that the bigger name may be checked off on a lot of ballots.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

And if Billie Holiday got released earlier and if there was a Makeup nomination to support it

I don’t understand such a late release date. It would have made more sense if the film was released in early February for the entirety of Black History Month.

Profile picture
    iWantTheGold
    Topics:

I think I’m gonna mull over this category for a bit before switching. Anyone wanna help me figure this out cause man I need help

If you think Davis and Day will split the vote, go with Mulligan. If you think an ultra-baity role + a likely late viewing by Academy members lends itself well to victory, go with Day. If you think the need to honor a great veteran actress who also presents an opportunity to award a drastically underawarded racial group in her category trumps all else, go with Davis.

As I’ve been thinking about this insane race more and more (and coming up with more and more outlandish angles…), I think it might be better just to keep it simple, and look at the performances themselves. So I’ve switched my vote from Mulligan to Day. If they actually bother to watch her movie, they won’t be able to resist – it’s just too well-executed Oscar Bait to ignore. The only thing stopping her would be Davis splitting her votes. 1. Day, 2. Mulligan, 3. Davis, 4. McDormand, 5. Kirby

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

So eloquent. Love this comment. We know this is the same group that bowed down to HW every time they could. The mess is that they are probably awarding PYW with Screenplay but drawing the line at Cassie, “the bad woman who calls out pigs on their crimes”.

I just watched the movie again, the chills of that ending

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

Day’s role is the definition of Oscar-bait. But will they sit through the whole movie?

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

gawd not another method actor… also did she mention anything about pursuing a career in acting other than saying she wants to work with Lee Daniels again?

Nope didn’t even mention future acting projects. Pls she said she wanted an EGOT in the beginning of the interview.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

This is such a hot mess. Lord help us all.

😂😂😂😂😂😂 I can’t…

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

If you think Davis and Day will split the vote, go with Mulligan. If you think an ultra-baity role + a likely late viewing by Academy members lends itself well to victory, go with Day. If you think the need to honor a great veteran actress who also presents an opportunity to award a drastically underawarded racial group in her category trumps all else, go with Davis.

As I’ve been thinking about this insane race more and more (and coming up with more and more outlandish angles…), I think it might be better just to keep it simple, and look at the performances themselves. So I’ve switched my vote from Mulligan to Day. If they actually bother to watch her movie, they won’t be able to resist – it’s just too well-executed Oscar Bait to ignore. The only thing stopping her would be Davis splitting her votes. 1. Day, 2. Mulligan, 3. Davis, 4. McDormand, 5. Kirby

I don’t think the votes are gonna split like that, I don’t know if enough Academy voters are watching Billie Holiday, I don’t know that Ma Rainey’s is a strong enough movie to win 4 Oscars. This is what’s making it tough for me. I think I need a little more than that

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I think I’m gonna mull over this category for a bit before switching. Anyone wanna help me figure this out cause man I need help

I suggest you switch to Davis and pray Maestro comes through.

Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

At this point I’d entertain an argument saying that Prince Philip’s death will remind people that Kirby was on The Crown and remind them of Pieces of a Woman lmao

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)’ is closed to new replies.