Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Dam Victor I feel bad for you if Viola does not win cause the woman king is coming so if she not getting the lead actress Oscar this year she gonna get it eventually which will probably be a award season sweep.

Hun, If she gives a performance deserving of the award, I really could care less. What I don’t like is her riding the sympathy second black actress narrative with a lackluster Coca Cola commercial. And as a matter of fact I’ve said countless times she would be my favorite if she was competing in supporting this year.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Hun, If she gives a performance deserving of the award, I really could care less. What I don’t like is her riding the sympathy second black actress narrative with a lackluster Coca Cola commercial. And as a matter of fact I’ve said countless times she would be my favorite if she was competing in supporting this year.

You have a problem with her winning for a “lackluster Coca Cola commercial” in Lead but you wouldn’t have that same issue in Supporting? Yeah, right.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

You have a problem with her winning for a “lackluster Coca Cola commercial” in Lead but you wouldn’t have that same issue in Supporting? Yeah, right.

She’s lackluster in lead because her performance isn’t lead hunny. It’s actually offensive to the other contenders when all of them are 70% + of their film and Viola was only 28% in Ma Rainey.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

But how is she riding the second black woman wave if she campaigning for Andra that takes Oscar votes from her ?

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I don’t think Viola is supporting, but I don’t think she has that much of an arc to her character. She’s important to the story, which at the very least makes her a co-lead, but I didn’t think her character really changed that much. Perhaps that’s just me tho

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Great point. I do not believe that will be the case. I put Davis in line with Zellweger. Both have 3 SAGS (2 for BA, 1 for SA) for film performances. Only 1 of Zellweger’s SAGs didn’t translate into Oscar gold. She lost BA to Nicole Kidman but won the very next year in SA and won BA with her very next nod. I believe Viola will follow the same trajectory as Renee. Davis already lost her BA Oscar to Streep, winning SA on her next Oscar/SAG combo and her next SAG win lands her in BA Oscar territory.

You are making me very tempted to switch from Day to Davis again. A lot of media attention was directed to Davis during the 2011 race on making history as the second Black actress to win in this category and the same sentiment and eagerness is being shed in this current race for Ma Rainey.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

You are making me very tempted to switch from Day to Davis again. A lot of media attention was directed to Davis during the 2011 race on making history as the second Black actress to win in this category and the same sentiment and eagerness is being shed in this current race for Ma Rainey.

Yes, but only this time her film isn’t nominated for Best Picture to strengthen her chances.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Viola ate every line in ma Rainey the performance is actually very entertaining the legendary Coca Cola line chefs kiss but seriously everytime Viola wasn’t on screen i wanted more which means the acting was good she snatched a competitive sag award with the least amount of screen time She’s such a legend.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

It is strange how similar this Oscar race is to the 2004 Oscar race.

Best Actress: Hillary Swank takes Globe, Critics, and SAG but not BAFTA. Wins the Oscar. Matches with Best Actor: Boseman

Best Actor: Jamie Foxx does a full sweep. Wins the Oscar. Matches with Supporting Actor: Kaluuya

Best Supporting Actress: Globe goes to Natalie Portman Critics Choice goes to Virginia Madsen. SAG goes to Cate Blanchett. BAFTA goes to Cate Blanchett. Blanchett wins the Oscar. Matches with Supporting Actress: Youn

Best Supporting Actor: Globe goes to Clive Owen. Critics Choice goes to Thomas Haden Church. SAG goes to Morgan Freeman. BAFTA goes to Clive Owen. Freeman wins the Oscar, completing a 4/4 for SAG. Unlike the other categories, these precursors do not really match our Best Actress race thanks to the 2004 BAFTA curveball. But Davis could match with Freeman’s Oscar trajectory if SAG this year wants to go 4/4 as they did when they disagreed with Globes and BFCA in 2004 for Supporting Actor and Supporting actress.

The races aren’t exactly comparable to every detail in the 2004 race but I found it interesting.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Shaunie Jean
    Topics:

She’s lackluster in lead because her performance isn’t lead hunny. It’s actually offensive to the other contenders when all of them are 70% + of their film and Viola was only 28% in Ma Rainey.

Screen time is not a legitimate factor in an Oscar race. BP adjacent nods certainly can help one’s chances but they certainly don’t guarantee a win either.

Dench won for 8 mins. Hopkins for 16. McDormand, Kidman & Fletcher all won Actress for less screen time than Davis in MRBB. Viola’s SA nod for Doubt was less than 10 mins in total including a two minute scene in complete silence.

Conversely, all were linked to BP nominees unlike MRBB.

Ironically, record holder Patricia Neal won for 22 mins in HUD. Which went on to win 3 of its 7 nods for Actress, Sup Actor & Cinematography ALL without a Best Picture nod.
    Neal & Davis both share Broadway stage beginnings with Featured Actress Tonys as their first awards.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Either way, Netflix isn’t winning the top two acting Oscar with a movie that isn’t even up for BP. I highly doubt it. International voters aren’t with Viola. She lost the Golden Globe, AACTA, wasn’t even nominated for BAFTA when her co star was. I mean. There’s only so much narrative can take you in competitive races with a movie the Academy just doesn’t like. And then she’s got Andra out there stealing the votes she needs.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Ironically, record holder Patricia Neal won for 22 mins in HUD. Which went on to win 3 of its 7 nods for Actress, Sup Actor & Cinematography ALL without a Best Picture nod. Neal & Davis both share Broadway stage beginnings with Featured Actress Tonys as their first awards.

I think the difference here is that Hud probably would’ve been nominated if there were 8-10 nominees. You could say that Ma Rainey’s was #9 and while I would likely agree, it did miss Screenplay when there was no reason to. And for fucking Borat of all things. Not a bad comparison, but I do think we should distinguish the difference

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

wasn’t even nominated for BAFTA when her co star was

Must I remind you of the 7-12 person jury?

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    aahoto
    Topics:

Nope didn’t even mention future acting projects. Pls she said she wanted an EGOT in the beginning of the interview.

This is a bit gross.

Profile picture
    Croman
    Topics:

Mulligan would’ve won BAFTA without the jury. I think Davis can win with Boseman, stats are bound to be broken. Everyone says you need to win screenplay or director to even have a chance at BP when All the kings men won with only acting wins and Chicago won w/ no screenplay or director wins.
    I’m leaning towards Mulligan though.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)’ is closed to new replies.