Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 500 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

https://broadwaydirect.com/broadway-and-the-oscars/ Only McDormand & Davis have stage pedigrees of the 5 BA noms.

You forgot Mulligan and Kirby are in the category.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

Mulligan would’ve won BAFTA without the jury. I think Davis can win with Boseman, stats are bound to be broken. Everyone says you need to win screenplay or director to even have a chance at BP when All the kings men won with only acting wins and Chicago won w/ no screenplay or director wins. I’m leaning towards Mulligan though.

I know I’m in the minority here and would love to see Mulligan win but my head is telling me that McDormand would still have won. Not only is Nomadland a stronger film than PYW but McDormand’s performance probably connects better with BAFTAs sensibilites. She also won London Film Critics Circle and will most likely win Indie Spirit considering the strength of Nomadland there. The only dint is her AACTA loss. It would definitely have been close though. It seems likely that the Oscar winner will be either Day or the Indie Spirit winner.

Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

Screen time is not a legitimate factor in an Oscar race. BP adjacent nods certainly can help one’s chances but they certainly don’t guarantee a win either. Dench won for 8 mins. Hopkins for 16. McDormand, Kidman & Fletcher all won Actress for less screen time than Davis in MRBB. Viola’s SA nod for Doubt was less than 10 mins in total including a two minute scene in complete silence. Conversely, all were linked to BP nominees unlike MRBB. Ironically, record holder Patricia Neal won for 22 mins in HUD. Which went on to win 3 of its 7 nods for Actress, Sup Actor & Cinematography ALL without a Best Picture nod. Neal & Davis both share Broadway stage beginnings with Featured Actress Tonys as their first awards.

Hopkins actually had 24 mins of screentime. And don’t forget Beatrice Straight’a iconic 5 mins oscar winning performance, and Hermoine Baddeley’s nod for her very brief, 2:19 mins screentime.

Profile picture
    Shaunie Jean
    Topics:

Hopkins actually had 24 mins of screentime. And don’t forget Beatrice Straight’a iconic 5 mins oscar winning performance, and Hermoine Baddeley’s nod for her very brief, 2:19 mins screentime.

Hmm…not sure about Hopkins. All of my research, not to mention memory, puts him around 16 minutes.

Woww yea you’re absolutely right I forgot about Beatrice Straight. Speaking of her record win for Network, strangely enough Peter Finch won Actor posthumously for the same film.

Oh and I stan your screen name & profile pic!!!

Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

Hmm…not sure about Hopkins. All of my research, not to mention memory, puts him around 16 minutes. Woww yea you’re absolutely right I forgot about Beatrice Straight. Speaking of her record win for Network, strangely enough Peter Finch won Actor posthumously for the same film. Oh and I stan your screen name & profile pic!!!

someone really committed to counts Hopkins screentime. His analysis is very detailed, you can read it here: https://mobile.twitter.com/MatthewAStewart/status/1342258692599787533

And by the way, Why can’t you give me.. the RESPECT THAT I’M ENTITLED TO!!!

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

You forgot Mulligan and Kirby are in the category.

Mulligan has done Broadway once before while Kirby hasn’t (although her stage work in West End or National Theatre are so worth noting). Both also started on stage. There remains Day who’s a total newcomer to acting, and that’s why I doubt her chance.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Viola is going to win Lead Actress sooner or later. She’s the most respected black actress around (battling only Regina King) and she is also the most nominated black actress in Oscar history. I just have a feeling that SAG award was not a fluke. It is quite possible that her performance has more support in the industry than it does here.

Profile picture
    Shaunie Jean
    Topics:

someone really committed to counts Hopkins screentime. His analysis is very detailed, you can read it here: https://mobile.twitter.com/MatthewAStewart/status/1342258692599787533 And by the way, Why can’t you give me.. the RESPECT THAT I’M ENTITLED TO!!!

hahaha…I legit just watched MD like 2 weeks ago. hilarity at its best!

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

If Viola Davis does not win Lead Actress this year, I expect on her next nomination she will sweep all of the precursors.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

hahaha…I legit just watched MD like 2 weeks ago. hilarity at its best!

hilarious? this is APPALING!

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

Mulligan has done Broadway once before while Kirby hasn’t (although her stage work in West End or National Theatre are so worth noting). Both also started on stage. There remains Day who’s a total newcomer to acting, and that’s why I doubt her chance.

Two of Mulligan’s shows transferred to Broadway actually, while her Off-Broadway and London credits are of equal note. Mulligan certainly has had a rich career on stage.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

Happy 33rd Birthday to the amazingly talented Vanessa Kirby!

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Must I remind you of the 7-12 person jury?

So? Why did that jury nominated Chadwick and not her ESPECIALLY when they clearly wanted every black person nominated. Lol

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

My final predictions:

1. Trashiola Davis for playing a baity role

2. Boring Day for playing a baity role

3. Mulligan I hope that she pulls it off

4. Francis I hope that she pulls it off after Mulligan

5. Vanessa nobody cares

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

So? Why did that jury nominated Chadwick and not her ESPECIALLY when they clearly wanted every black person nominated. Lol

If I’m not mistaken, there was a different jury for each category. But even if there wasn’t, they could’ve snubbed her on purpose because they’re trying not to “predict the Oscars” or whatever

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)’ is closed to new replies.