Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Yahorabasetoke
    Topics:

I’ve just looked at the predictions thing on this site and it makes this website look a bit suspicious…… when the two biggest precursor awards have been won by a woman of colour: the Globe and the Sag and who are by far giving the best performances of the year in the most Oscar baity roles, why are they not in the top positions?

Profile picture
    Yahorabasetoke
    Topics:

This year is the backlash to #oscarssowhite and is topical in the light of the killing of George Floyd. Imagine the speeches!! This is how the Oscars can promote diversity and change the lack of roles for black and Asian actors in Hollywood…..

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

I’ve just looked at the predictions thing on this site and it makes this website look a bit suspicious…… when the two biggest precursor awards have been won by a woman of colour: the Globe and the Sag and who are by far giving the best performances of the year in the most Oscar baity roles, why are they not in the top positions?

Lmao.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Now the website looks suspicious. I swear… this award season has killed so many brain cells we should have a memorial for the fallen.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

When in doubt go for the baitiest performance with the most screen time.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Andra Day presented at the ASC today. But people forgot to mention Mulligan also presented at ADG a week ago and ACE Eddie yesterday. Day did an interview with Ellen 2 days ago. Mulligan did an interview with Fallon and hosted SNL last week. Davis has done quite a fair share of magazine covers and interviews from Oprah and 60minutes. All three women are campaigning their ass off. I don’t get the distinction that one actress is campaigning “harder” than the other. The vote will just be decided by performance preference and narrative.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Day doesn’t suffer from a lack of visibility,

I think people are referring to the visibility for her film rather than Day’s campaigning.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Okay, assuming for some odd reason it’s a tie? Which two would pull it off?

I’d say Trashiola Davis and Mulligan.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m a very happy supporter of all nominated performances. Mulligan resonated with me more as a ‘victim’ (so important to recognise Cassie’a situation I.e avenging a friend who has been victimised and not believed actually speaks to a way wider audience than some watching the movie believe – this does not only happen to cis-gendered whites women, and I believe we aren’t shown any photos / flashbacks to illustrate this, please correct me if I missed something). I recall how angry my friends were when I was in a situation all of us knew was rape but also knew was impossible to prove in any meaningful way within the UK legal framework. And I’ve, unfortunately, felt that rage when the same has happened to them. I do believe most people have experienced, to some degree, this abuse, though not always to such a degree. My very long and ineloquent point: Hollywood and the majority of those who still make up the voting body can’t recognise Cassie. But we’ve been given many win-worthy performances. Whilst many on this forum choose to find for one actress over others, can’t we just celebrate each? Viola has short screen time, sure, but are you ever not thinking about her character? Kirby is extraordinary – she will be back.McDormand, we all know, delivers. Andra Day made a terrible movie in every regard watchable. I want Mulligan to win because of the message, but this can hopefully be achieved with a screenplay win. This is such a fragmented year, and so many people here claim to want a non-sweep year, but then become so attached to one performance or winner they’re quite vicious to others.

This and this and this!

Also I just want to say that I am sorry to hear about your experience.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

I’m not saying that Andra Day doesn’t have a chance of winning (I don’t even think I can say Kirby doesn’t have a chance of winning, miniscule as it may be) but she has such a hill to climb compared to the others.

1) No actress has won the Oscar without a corresponding SAG nomination.

2) No actress has won the Oscar with just a Globe win since the 4 major precursors have been in play.

3) Actresses who are the only nominee for their films tend to sweep.

I know it’s a close year and she fits the mold of an Oscar winning performance but she just has too many hurdles I think.

If she did win though…THAT would be a monumental victory. Up there with Marcia Gay Hardens

I’m not even sure Andra Day’s situation would be similar to Marcia Gay Harden’s situation, simply because Gay Harden was originally campaigned as lead and didn’t win any televised award like Andra Day did. Andra’s closest similarity is Regina King because King won the Globe but was snubbed for SAG and BAFTA. Interestingly enough, King presented at the BAFTAs, despite being snubbed, and so did Andra. Of course, not every comparison is a completely sound one. King was the critics’ favorite that year and also won a Critics Choice Award. Her movie also had additional nominations, whereas Andra’s didn’t.

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

This category is going to be the last one before Best Picture isn’t it?

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

People have an issue with Viola’s screen time, but the industry doesn’t care. This is the same industry that was wowed by her seven minutes in Doubt when she was relatively unknown (compared to the star she is now).

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I think people are referring to the visibility for her film rather than Day’s campaigning.

And I’m referring to Day’s campaign. She can’t take for granted that lazy Academy voters will watch the screeners provided to them, so I’m fine with her increased profile during Academy voting.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wonder what the reactions are going to be to the winner?

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)’ is closed to new replies.