Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 500 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

As a victim of rape, and with several friends having similarly experienced sexual assault (to varying degrees, all without a satisfactory legal outcome), I would love to see Mulligan win. I just cannot see AMPAS rewarding her on the whole. She may have passion from a small but vocal group. But equally she will have those who are passionately against her because maybe it brings attention to past behaviour they’d prefer to forget. Her biggest hurdle isn’t the awards she’s lost, it’s the still biggest demographic within the academy: older who’re men. This is not to accuse all. But many, probably, have been guilty of some version of events seen, or alluded to, in the movie.

Whilst I would give this to Mulligan, I hope Davis pulls off the win if not. To those obsessed with her screen time: I was thinking about her whenever she was off screen. That isn’t down to anything but Davis’ incredible portrayal. Which actually makes it more impressive given her limited screen time.

I’d also be fine with Day – her film was terrible but she was exceptional – though I do have an issue awarding somebody with no intention to continue acting (a separate discussion – would somebody like to make a thread on one time nominees that then gave it up?), Or Vanessa, or McDormand. The fact she has two acting Oscars aside, which Academy members will struggle with, her performance here is extraordinary. She seems to have rightfully stepped aside to focus on the film as a wider player and for this I think the vast respect she has will only increase. This will eventually translate to a third acting win. She seems to do more than her peers for underrepresented talent, despite her no comment on Rudin. She seems more focused on backing up her latest acceptance speech, which I admire, if it helps real change.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I’m not even sure Andra Day’s situation would be similar to Marcia Gay Harden’s situation, simply because Gay Harden was originally campaigned as lead and didn’t win any televised award like Andra Day did. Andra’s closest similarity is Regina King because King won the Globe but was snubbed for SAG and BAFTA. Interestingly enough, King presented at the BAFTAs, despite being snubbed, and so did Andra. Of course, not every comparison is a completely sound one. King was the critics’ favorite that year and also won a Critics Choice Award. Her movie also had additional nominations, whereas Andra’s didn’t.

Except Day hasn’t swept critics and wasn’t directed by Barry Jenkins. If Beale Street Coult Talk has been a decent contender all around, earning three nominations (just missing Best Picture), having stellar reviews.

Pollock also had very good reviews and an additional Oscar mention.

The Regina King theory is literally 1 in a million and it has to do a lot with Regina King herself. Her individual respect & passion & hard-working veteran status, also her undeniable strong performance that was able to sweep critics, win Golden Globe & BFCA, Indie Spirit (the film won three awards including Best Feature and Best Director next to Regina).

Andra Day is a newcomer. Her film lacks support and good reviews. She’s not a lost cause, but she is also not a hard-working veteran with passion.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Not sure what oscars this is but i love the stinkface

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BronzeThriftyInchworm-mobile.mp4

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Except Day hasn’t swept critics and wasn’t directed by Barry Jenkins. If Beale Street Coult Talk has been a decent contender all around, earning three nominations (just missing Best Picture), having stellar reviews.

Pollock also had very good reviews and an additional Oscar mention.

The Regina King theory is literally 1 in a million and it has to do a lot with Regina King herself. Her individual respect & passion & hard-working veteran status, also her undeniable strong performance that was able to sweep critics, win Golden Globe & BFCA, Indie Spirit (the film won three awards including Best Feature and Best Director next to Regina).

Andra Day is a newcomer. Her film lacks support and good reviews. She’s not a lost cause, but she is also not a hard-working veteran with passion.

And that’s why I say not every comparison is a completely sound one. Not sure if we can find one that’s exactly like Day’s.

Profile picture
    mi_gi_1988
    Topics:

I want an Adrien’s Brody win audience reaction on this category this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgWANva9Xk&list=PLJ8RjvesnvDNekuoV0BD7m_QUuOWp0B5c&index=19&ab_channel=Oscars

And my reaction is going to be like the brunette girl who starts screaming behind him

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I’d also be fine with Day – her film was terrible but she was exceptional – though I do have an issue awarding somebody with no intention to continue acting (a separate discussion – would somebody like to make a thread on one time nominees that then gave it up?), Or Vanessa, or McDormand. The fact she has two acting Oscars aside, which Academy members will struggle with, her performance here is extraordinary. She seems to have rightfully stepped aside to focus on the film as a wider player and for this I think the vast respect she has will only increase. This will eventually translate to a third acting win. She seems to do more than her peers for underrepresented talent, despite her no comment on Rudin. She seems more focused on backing up her latest acceptance speech, which I admire, if it helps real change.

That’s not true about Day. She’s already stated that she’s collaborating with Lee Daniels on future projects.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

People have an issue with Viola’s screen time, but the industry doesn’t care. This is the same industry that was wowed by her seven minutes in Doubt when she was relatively unknown (compared to the star she is now).

To be fair, that was said to be a big reason why she lost in lead for The Help.

Profile picture
    leon375
    Topics:

I hope Carey pulls through this sunday but I won’t be shocked if there is another upset yet again. Fingers crossed !!! I hope the stars align and the international and british block of the academy support her.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

To be fair, that was said to be a big reason why she lost in lead for The Help.

How would we know that, though? I just always assumed that they wanted to give Meryl Streep another Oscar.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Andra Day presented at the ASC today. But people forgot to mention Mulligan also presented at ADG a week ago and ACE Eddie yesterday. Day did an interview with Ellen 2 days ago. Mulligan did an interview with Fallon and hosted SNL last week. Davis has done quite a fair share of magazine covers and interviews from Oprah and 60minutes. All three women are campaigning their ass off. I don’t get the distinction that one actress is campaigning “harder” than the other. The vote will just be decided by performance preference and narrative.

Which is also why I’ve eliminated McDormand. She’s all but telling them not to vote for her this year a la Jennifer Lawrence in 2014 (for BSA).

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Carey won the Dorian Awards. (I know it doesn’t mean anything Oscars wise, but it’s nice to see her winning another award)

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Carey won the Dorian Awards. (I know it doesn’t mean anything Oscars wise, but it’s nice to see her winning another award)

Where do you see the winners? Cant find those anywhere.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Also, can we just take a moment and acknowledge what a player Marcia Gay Harden has been? She won an Oscar and was nominated for another one without ever making the Golden Globe/SAG/BAFTA lineups. Like doing it once is one thing, but doing it twice? She’s good.

She’s an excellent actress and should have been nominated for The Mist as well! 🙂

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Where do you see the winners? Cant find those anywhere.

It’s still going. Erik Anderson is updating on his Twitter account.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Another win for the most acclaimed performance of the year.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)’ is closed to new replies.