Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 500 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

This is so funny for the international feature poll there are 37 thousand total votes compared to 13 thousand votes in Best Picture. And Quo Vadis, Aida? is taking 94% of those 37 thousand votes. Pls someone is using bots on this website.

Like it should.

It is an incredible masterpiece and would be way more deserving than Another Round.

Profile picture
    Shaunie Jean
    Topics:

I was extremely affected by Nomadland. I cried at several points throughout the film. The movie was shot beautifully and really shows the natural wonders of the American terrain perfectly. Out of all the BA noms, I felt the most for Fern. FM was spot on, so subtle and real, almost as if she weren’t acting, which makes hers the best performance to me.

The real life actors sealed the deal for me. At times, I felt like I was watching a true life documentary and only when I would see David Strathairn would it hit me that it was a film. The nomads stories of grief and heartache juxtaposed to witnessing Fern’s story in real time was touching. It was the best picture of the year for me because I felt a human connection to their pain as I recently lost my father.

McDormand could easily take the award. I could see it happening tbh. The Academy gave Meryl a 3rd instead of Viola’s 1st. I love Viola Davis but I would vote for McDormand based on my love for the film, which I think alot of others are doing too. I still believe Viola Davis will win.

Only possible block to McDormand winning a 3rd would be that she beat Meryl to becoming 2nd only to Hepburn. Not sure if actors branch is going for that just yet.

Profile picture
    Yahorabasetoke
    Topics:

as far as secondary leads go, i don’t think ma rainey as a role is quite as iconic as hannibal lecter or nurse ratched, but.

the non argument was that Viola can’t win an Oscar because of her lack of screen time. So I’m pointing out others who have won with less screen time in best actress/actor. So……. it’s not a viable argument

Profile picture
    Yahorabasetoke
    Topics:

as far as secondary leads go, i don’t think ma rainey as a role is quite as iconic as hannibal lecter or nurse ratched, but.

and Viola will become quite the icon after the win……

Profile picture
    Mr. Tintin
    Topics:

One more week until this race is over.

Carey, Frances, and Viola all have a path to victory.

Movie-lover overall.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/movies/oscar-nominations-2021-ballot.html

This poll has McDormand as the clear winner

1. McDormand 34%
    2. Viola Davis 22%
    3. Vanessa Kirby 17%
    4. Carey Mulligan 15%
    5. Andra Day 10%

Is this telling of Sunday night?

Some of these poll results are sketchy as hell. With that being said, McDormand and Davis won peer-voted precursors, so it would not be completely shocking if they are top two. But I’d say that Davis has the upper hand since she beat McDormand at SAG and was shut out when McDormand won at BAFTA.

This category is giving me a headache. Goodness.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

That being said, if people check out these online polls/Instagram likes, etc, McDormand seems to be the fan-favorite, while Day seems to be the least supported/known in the group.

Profile picture
    A G Wooding
    Topics:

Also, can we just take a moment and acknowledge what a player Marcia Gay Harden has been? She won an Oscar and was nominated for another one without ever making the Golden Globe/SAG/BAFTA lineups. Like doing it once is one thing, but doing it twice? She’s good.

She’s an excellent actress and should have been nominated for The Mist as well! 🙂

She is an absolute treasure and doesn’t turn up in enough things these days unfortunately.

Just happened to watch Mystic River for the first time the other day and she easily gave the best performance in that film. Robbins was ok but Penn overacted and I can see why people were disappointed he beat Bill Murray.

Profile picture
    RBBrittain
    Topics:

McDormand, third win on three nominations? Gimme a break; it took Katharine Hepburn ELEVEN nominations to get three wins. (12 total with four wins, same as Diane Warren who’s been shut out so far; I currently have her slated to finally win BOS but that’s the ONE category I’m iffy on right now as I’m currently feeling H.E.R. more than Laura Pausini.)

I’ll say it before, I’ll say it again:
    1. VIOLA. ALL. ALONG!!!
    2. If it’s NOT Viola or Andra, expect #OscarsSoWhite With A Vengeance (wouldn’t it be funny if Bruce Willis makes a cameo there?), with JHud certain to win next year & take BOTH of Viola’s superlatives (second Black Best Actress *AND* first Black female multiple Oscar winner).

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I am not sure if people want J.Hud — whom I adore, BTW — of all people to set all these records. If it’s not Viola (or Andra) this year, please let it be Regina King for “Shirley.”

Profile picture
    Yiploo
    Topics:

Queen Marcia the woman who’s named Gay Harden has graced the modern day cinema masterpiece – the 50 Shades trilogy in recent years. Thank You Queen! The woman who only allows the Oscars to nominate her.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Two-Time Academy Award Winner Viola Davis.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Okay it’s been a few days since BAFTAs and I changed from Mulligan to Day and then now back to Mulligan.  Mulligan will be my final bet.

A few points I’m thinking:

1. Day won GG but I’m sure there are still tons of people who haven’t watched her film. Most people don’t vote for what they haven’t seen and she’s not a big name either that can possibly help her overcome this situation.

2. Viola’s SAG was a predicted result back before GG and it still seems like a SAG-only situation for me, judging from her incredible 4/5-winning  SAG records. The performance is also not as strong as fellow nominees, which matters if you remember our dear Olivia Colman.

3. Mulligan could possibly have won BAFTAs and we all know PYW is a way stronger BP contender. The performance, though I think it’s not Oscars-worthy, is at least stronger than Davis’.  I’m smelling a Parasite situation where the most hyped contender ultimately wins despite of losing precursors.

4. We can witness another 2000 Best Actor situation where Russell Crowe won only CC and Oscars. (Benicio was competing  in Supporting Actor that year but SAG put him in Leading Actor.)

5. Anyway, the most DESERVED winners imo are still Frances Mcdormand and Vanessa Kirby, the #4 and #5 contenders here ironically. I will be pleased to see any upset.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Queen Marcia the woman who’s named Gay Harden has graced the modern day cinema masterpiece – the 50 Shades trilogy in recent years. Thank You Queen! The woman who only allows the Oscars to nominate her.

Speaking of Marcia, check out this cool new article commemorating the 20th anniversary of her unprecedented win. She also throws some shade at a certain Dame lol:

https://www.vulture.com/2021/04/marcia-gay-harden-interview-pollock-surprise-oscar.html

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

Wow, I remember when this thread was going to kindergarten and now it’s approaching midlife’s crisis.

2021 Award Season, FYC:

Best Actress: CAREY MULLIGAN for PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN
    Best Actor: DELROY LINDO for DA 5 BLOODS
    Best Supporting Actress: GLENN CLOSE for HILLBILLY ELEGY

Profile picture
    A G Wooding
    Topics:

Speaking of Marcia, check out this cool new article commemorating the 20th anniversary of her unprecedented win. She also throws some shade at a certain Dame lol:

https://www.vulture.com/2021/04/marcia-gay-harden-interview-pollock-surprise-oscar.html

She showed her class a few days later by apologising to Dench although I don’t think she needed to. Love both those actresses.

I wonder, if Dench was annoyed, what was it about? Probably not her own loss so soon after her first win, maybe she wanted fellow Brit Julie Walters to win.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)’ is closed to new replies.