Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 500 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

I just know that poor nose was TIRED chile. Who even has enough tears and snot for all of that ? Ffffff

But that shit paid in the end !

Absolutely paid in the end!

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/violadavis/status/1384324565921239042?s=20

Viola jokingly talking about how she had to do 23 takes of snot tears for Fences is adorable. What a great performance that was.

The audience I watched this with applauded her during that scene. One of the few times that’s ever happened in a theater for me. The other time was Jennifer Hudson’s moment in Dreamgirls.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

The audience I watched this with applauded her during that scene. One of the few times that’s ever happened in a theater for me. The other time was Jennifer Hudson’s moment in Dreamgirls.

Exact same thing when I saw it. A rarity in a theater..

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I’ve seen so many reports of audiences applauding JHud after And I’m Telling You.. obviously her having a big, show-stopping musical moment in Respect would be expected but I legit wonder if she could get those kind of reactions again

Not talking about an Oscar win or anything, just genuine passion from the audience. Or maybe Dreamgirls simply felt like novelty back then, idk

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

I fear for the girls if Viola does not get lead actress this year cause i feel like the women king performance will be legendary one for the acting books.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

I fear for the girls if Viola does not get lead actress this year cause i feel like the women king performance will be legendary one for the acting books.

lupita and Viola the acting is about to be fire in this movie awards for everyone.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

No shade but I feel like Mulligan want ever come close to an lead actress Oscar again while Viola is an awards magnet so i hope Mulligan gets it cause Viola is about to be in Oscar season and Emmy season again 😭.

Profile picture
    Michael Patrick Holland
    Topics:

It is now between Viola and Mulligan. Andra Day’s path to victory is hollow. Yes she won the globe….but wasnt even nominated at SAG.

Back to Viola, looks like she will win for two reasons:
    1) “Promising…” will get honored with Best Screenplay.

2). Viola’s is a more traditional Oscar role. Older voters will go for hers way more than Mulligan.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

I remember when JLaw said out loud she voted for Lupita. She knew everyone would DRAG her ass if she won that year fkfkffk

That’s the best she could do after stealing Riva and Chastain Oscar.

Profile picture
    Alan
    Topics:

Viola’s performance in Fences *chef kiss*

That was iconic.

Four-time Academy Award winner Frances McDormand

Two-time Academy Award winner Anthony Hopkins

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Stop typing ‘snot’ lol… Y’all bitches should be helping me campaign Lupes for Oscar #2. Someone writes the thriller, two can direct, I’ll do the PR, one chooses killer outfits. Priorities!!!

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Stop typing ‘snot’ lol… Y’all bitches should be helping me campaign Lupes for Oscar #2. Someone writes the thriller, two can direct, I’ll do the PR, one chooses killer outfits. Priorities!!!

wtf no fair she gets to be that beautiful 🥺.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Mulligan stans are annoying someone said she has the wig vote like Andra and Viola were not wearing wigs in there movie also the bias on golderby 😐.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I campaigned so hard for her for Us😭 I am still so upset.

Profile picture
    Paradoxymoron
    Topics:

Been following for a while, but decided to sign up as I had some points about this race – one big one being one I haven’t seen anybody else mention.</p>
    To caveat, before being accused of bias – I’m primarily stanning for Viola Davis, because I think she deserves to make history (and frankly, the history making numbers are too low and that needs to change!), and also genuinely enjoyed her performance the most of them all – but wouldn’t be upset with Mulligan (as a sexual assault survivor) or Day (see above for Davis).

I do, however, think the Academy will go for McDormand.

The main reason for this is – everybody is viewing Mulligan as the front runner, but in 2016, Lady Gaga was seen as the EXTREME front runner in Original Song for Til It Happens to You – a hugely affective and powerful song about rape and sexual assault. The Academy instead voted for Sam Smith with a below par Bond song. Yes, this was before Me Too, and I imagine Weinstein’s presence in that room was strongly felt, but to me it just shows that the Academy have precedent in rejecting nominees who appear to be front runners, but whose work focuses on sexual assault.

If that snub had not happened, I would imagine Mulligan would definitely win with current momentum, but it is a significant grain of doubt.

On a separate note, I am pessimistic about the Academy actually going ahead and having all four acting awards be won by non-White actors. This year it definitely should – Boseman/Davis/Kaluuya/Youn are the best performances in all four categories – but I struggle to see them doing so. I fear there are enough old white men who will rally behind a white actor who they think might topple the non-White choice – be that Hopkins, Baron Cohen, Close (or Colman) – and in this category I think McDormand. As above, I can’t see the old white men instead rallying towards a performance calling out sexual assault – so McDormand seems best placed to cause the upset

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)’ is closed to new replies.