Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 500 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I’m primarily stanning for Viola Davis

Well, hello 🙂

Profile picture
    Paradoxymoron
    Topics:

One post in and I already have had a reply from Luca? Day made! (I have followed your Davis stanning, and have to say, I approve!!)

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I fear there are enough old white men who will rally behind a white actor who they think might topple the non-White choice

I understand the skepticism but we did get 9/20 POC acting nominees and a Parasite sweep last year. But yes I agree if there is a POC not winning an acting category it would be Best Actress since I think Boseman is safer than Day or Davis in Actress.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Paradoxymoron
    Topics:

I do agree that this year has been amazing for representation, and if Boseman/Davis/Kaluuya/Youn pull it off, we’d have the double whammy of both an all non-White group of winners, but also the (in my opinion) best acting choices this season.

I just think, if any category is going to be most impacted by the “old white man” block, it’ll be this one. The other three acting categories have such strong stand outs that the threshold for a winning margin will be much higher. With this category split so much that the votes needed to win will be much lower, I think the old white man vote will tip the scales in McDormand’s favour (which frustrates me as I put my hands up and say that Nomadland doesn’t really resonate with me. I can see the craft of it, but the film itself doesn’t really click with me (it feels very American though, so this may be why!))

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

My girl getting the British vote, the Artsy fartsy vote, the new Academy vote…..and now the “old white man vote”

Let’s goooooo!

mcd

Profile picture
    Paradoxymoron
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Looking at your posts you seem to fit that bill (I’m sure the fact that every other post of yours is hating on Ma Rainey is “just a coincidence”), so I’m sure you didn’t already know McDormand had the old white man vote *eye roll</p>

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

With this category split so much that the votes needed to win will be much lower, I think the old white man vote will tip the scales in McDormand’s favour

I think a stronger argument can be made that an actress in the category will receive the “veteran” vote. I noticed in almost every precursor there had been a veteran actress winning. At the Globes you had Foster and Pike, while not very much a veteran, beating newcomer Bakalova. Viola Davis won at SAG. BAFTA carried Hopkins and Frances etc. So assuming voters will be backing a veteran, Davis and Frances will be the main benefactors of this voting block.

I do not think the old white man vote will come to play since they failed to get News of the World nominated lol. Also 9/20 POC acting nominees. The block does not seem it will be quite active this year considering the pandemic affecting the entirety of award season and not being quite as enthusiastic to rally behind their voting choices.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Looking at your posts you seem to fit that bill (I’m sure the fact that every other post of yours is hating on Ma Rainey is “just a coincidence”), so I’m sure you didn’t already know McDormand had the old white man vote *eye roll</p>

huh

I seem to fit what bill exactly?

Awwwwww….you think i’m White. Poor thing.

Let me introduce myself to ya: I’m the black brotha that had Green Book on top and cheered when it won (fake overblown outrage be damned).

Three Billboards? That’s my type of film.

You see where i’m going with this? My skin color does not define what i like and enjoy. And people (especially white critics) do not get to tell me what i should be outraged about, what racism is, and what is quality in films.

In this house we don’t just support everyone black because we’re black. No sir!

Ma Rainy, 12 Year A Slave and Selma? Not my cup of tea. I like my black films and my black representation sappy free, manipulative free. Oscar bait free.

As always:
    haa

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

everybody is viewing Mulligan as the front runner,

Welcome! If you’ve been following for a while, you may know that everyone is NOT “viewing Mulligan as a front runner.” In fact, I think I feel like somewhat of an outlier because I’m still predicting her to win.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I’m the black brotha that had Green Book on top and cheered when it won (fake overblown outrage be damned).

I like my black films and my black representation sappy free, manipulative free. Oscar bait free.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

For the million time: Green Book was not a biography about Dr Don Shirley or black people. It was also not a manipulatuve black film. There were no slaves running around getting whipped. Nor any snotty tears and overdramatic acting for Oscars.

Your outrage was (always) missplaced. You overreached. Because a black man said he doesn’t like eating fried chicken.

Profile picture
    Paradoxymoron
    Topics:

huh I seem to fit what bill exactly? Awwwwww….you think i’m White. Poor thing. Let me introduce myself to ya: I’m the black brotha that had Green Book on top and cheered when it won (fake overblown outrage be damned). Three Billboards? That’s my type of film. You see where i’m going with this? My skin color does not define what i like and enjoy. And people (especially white critics) do not get to tell me what i should be outraged about, what racism is, and what is quality in films. In this house we don’t just support everyone black because we’re black. No sir! Ma Rainy, 12 Year A Slave and Selma? Not my cup of tea. I like my black films and my black representation sappy free, manipulative free. Oscar bait free. As always: haa

Sure Jan

Not sure if I can take anybody seriously who praises Driving Miss Daisy 2.0 and insults 12 Years.

I will say, I DO agree on wanting there to be better diversity in roles rather than the only films discussing black stories discussing race and racism. Being a gay man, I feel similarly with gay characters in films/television ONLY ever focusing on the homophobia/coming out stories etc. It’s why I like Schitt’s Creek so much, because that isn’t a factor. I do 100% agree that I would like more roles for black/non-White leads that do not entirely revolve around race – there are so many more stories to tell. But that didn’t devalue stories that discuss race, because that is a huge factor historically and continues into the present day. Not telling the stories would be a disservice just as much as only telling those stories is.

(For context, I am not black myself, but my partner is. When discussing this, I try to take into account that I am not black and therefore will have different experiences. I base this on a mix of my own views and his)

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Lmao

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Paradoxymoron
    Topics:

I think a stronger argument can be made that an actress in the category will receive the “veteran” vote. I noticed in almost every precursor there had been a veteran actress winning. At the Globes you had Foster and Pike, while not very much a veteran, beating newcomer Bakalova. Viola Davis won at SAG. BAFTA carried Hopkins and Frances etc. So assuming voters will be backing a veteran, Davis and Frances will be the main benefactors of this voting block. I do not think the old white man vote will come to play since they failed to get News of the World nominated lol. Also 9/20 POC acting nominees. The block does not seem it will be quite active this year considering the pandemic affecting the entirety of award season and not being quite as enthusiastic to rally behind their voting choices.

Just noticed this from earlier – my original post outlined that the Old White Man vote I described is not just because of race, but also because of Mulligan’s film touching upon subjects they don’t wish to engage with (see Lady Gaga’s snub for Til It Happens To You). For a large block of voters, this can essentially rule out three of the five nominees, and the veteran factor is what will result in McDormand getting votes over Kirby. But the Old White Man vote is what gets to the point where the choices are between two nominees (rather than in previous years where that might get more diluted)

Profile picture
    Paradoxymoron
    Topics:

You’re doing fine. The other user is a 🦝 who admires Green Book.

Thank you for saying I’m doing fine, however if that emoji means what I think it means, I do not endorse its use. I have only ever seen that used as a racial slur and that is 100% not something which I agree with or endorse

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)’ is closed to new replies.