Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 500 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I used to think Carey had a small chance of winning but then remembered this is the same Academy that chose recently to award safe choices over Huppert and Pike in Elle/Gone Girl. Carey’s performance, while people might find different, has at least generated the same or more levels of controversy, riding the #MeToo political wave and is totally against type. No way the Academy will award a provocative performance like this when there are safer choices instead. Too many feathers would be ruffled and honestly a large percentage of the older male voters will probably embrace the movie as a personal attack on their youth. Yes, the Academy has apparently broadened their voting membership, but there is no precedent for her to win. They’ve had chances, why should we expect them to have changed in a few years?

Fuck, this is a good point, and yeah it’s true that they don’t reward these controversial female characters that often. That being said, PYW has five nominations and is a strong contender overall. Gone Girl and Elle had one nomination each. So maybe that’s reason to believe that Carey is at least in a better position than Pike and Huppert

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN SPOILER ALERT I think whats killing Carey’s chances is the fact that her character dies in the end. Voters don’t like seeing that for a young woman it hits too close to home that they don’t want to vote for that kind of stuff over biopics. Charlize Theron was able to get away with it for Monster because she played a real life person and deglamorified. Cassie is a fictional character and her cuteness turns people off because she is ruthless. Old white men voters want their young girls to look innocent like Emma Stone or Jlaw.

I really hope this isn’t another “old white pervert” argument

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Kirby did the best she could with that dialogue, honestly. And I blame the director & cinematographer for making that scene feel a bit too forced.

The writing is also quite meh. The only scene when those aspects are well synchronised is the birth scene. After that, it’s hard to follow without Kirby’s powerhouse performance.

Profile picture
    Marcel Carneiro
    Topics:

I really hope this isn’t another “old white pervert” argument

Yes. Yes it is. They voted Olivia Colman because of her sexiness in the role, or at least that’s what he thinks

Another dumbass with a newly created account invading this board

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Kirby did the best she could with that dialogue, honestly.

And Burstyn. That monologue they gave her… but she elevated it being the legend she is.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

“Cassie is a fictional character and her cuteness turns people off because she is ruthless.”

People should be fined for writing so much uneducated bullshit.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

I legit doubt that Mulligan will lose one vote because of the ultimate fate of her character

Profile picture
    lhdang2000
    Topics:

I really don’t understand the people who said Mulligan will not receive votes because of the character she’s playing. If this was the case, PYW would not have been a top Original Screenplay contender similar to Gone Girl or Elle. Isn’t screenplay where people judge the characters in the movie? Instead, the award bodies and the WGA embrace it, which mean they hardly have a problem with Cassie at all.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Plus, Joaquin Phoenix just won for playing a character who was definitely more deranged than Cassie. I do not think they care about the morals of a character in a movie or performance that they like

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Plus, Joaquin Phoenix just won for playing a character who was definitely more deranged than Cassie. I do not think they care about the morals of a character in a movie or performance that they like

Unfortunately said persons argument is that the voters are apparently misogynistic and like their female characters cute and dainty and morally upstanding so countering with a male wont work in this instance.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way Andra Day could be anywhere from 1st to 4th/5th in this race lol.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

I legit doubt that Mulligan will lose one vote because of the ultimate fate of her character

Have you read the secret ballots? These people give some dumb reasons for not voting for someone. Lol.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Unfortunately said persons argument is that the voters are apparently misogynistic and like their female characters cute and dainty and morally upstanding so countering with a male wont work in this instance.

Then Charlize Theron

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Kirby haters stay pressed! Volpi cup winner will always prevail. Perhaps not this season, but she hopefully has the rest of her life to perform greater and greater performances.

These forum expressions lol Imagine thinking people are haters for forming an opinion on someone’s acting. Like I don’t hate Kirby, I don’t go around trashing her. She’s clearly a talented actress, as she proved it on The Crown. I just think it was a really bad and forced scene, that’s all.

Profile picture
    PreludeinCSharpMinor
    Topics:

This political correctness and need to give everything to POC is absurd. Sasha Stone has had jungle fever for years. So what there is only 1 black best actress winner. Is there a quota to fill? I voted for Mulligan, Hopkins, Cohen, and Yu-Jung. Nomadland is overrated and I voted against it across the board.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 47)’ is closed to new replies.