Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 48)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 48)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 535 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
Ashton_Reeves
wolfali
Victor Cruz
  • Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

Can NOT campaigning have just as much of an affect on the Oscars as campaigning?

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Let’s bet $50 that she doesn’t win Best Actress next year.

it must not be next year. All I know is that Gaga is winning best actress in the future. I’ve seen it and so shall it be.

Anticipate "Hold My hand".

Lady Gaga is a genius

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I’m not a great fan of biopic wins. Even if they’re spot on, there have been so many in the past it’s getting stale. (I’d be interested in stats for this?)

That’s why my prayer circle for Carey is gaining steam. I don’t want her to win for playing a real person in the future. She’s the type of actress whose career deserves a refreshing original character crowned. Let it be.

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    Luca Giliberti
    Topics:

I’m not a great fan of biopic wins. Even if they’re spot on, there have been so many in the past it’s getting stale. (I’d be interested in stats for this?)

Well, there’s only one biopic contender in the running.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I finally was persuaded by listening to a few pundits to switch my prediction from Viola Davis to Carey Mulligan. How much of this is wishful thinking on my part – I want Mulligan to win – I don’t know. This is the hardest category to predict but several “experts” who are predicting Mulligan have convinced me that she will get enough votes to cross the finish line victorious. I sure hope so!

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

I finally was persuaded by listening to a few pundits to switch my prediction from Viola Davis to Carey Mulligan. How much of this is wishful thinking on my part – I want Mulligan to win – I don’t know. This is the hardest category to predict but several “experts” who are predicting Mulligan have convinced me that she will get enough votes to cross the finish line victorious. I sure hope so!

Was one of these pundits Tariq Khan by any chance?

Profile picture
    shedidnothing92
    Topics:

The more I think about it the more I’m convinced Viola is winning the Oscar. A lot of people are still saying Carey. Why? The only precursor she won was Critic’s Choice and how much overlap is there between that voting body and the AMPAs? I’d wager not much, or at least not as much as the SAG’s.  The SAG also has been a pretty accurate predictor of the Best Actress winner.

I think Andra’s win at the Golden Globes was kind of a “freak” occurrence , and the fact that she was snubbed by a number of precursors speaks to the fact that their probably isn’t that much love for her movie in general. Frances is not going to be awarded a third time so quickly after getting her second, and her BAFTA win doesn’t really hold weight because she only went up against one Oscar contender. And then there’s Vanessa Kirby’s who has won nothing despite being consistently nominated everywhere. So, taking all this into account, I don’t see Viola losing. It’s a good performance and a bit outside of her typical comfort zone, even if her screen time is limited and the performance as a whole is a bit one note. She’s at least as Oscar worthy as Carey who, save from (spoiler alert) the scene at the bachelor party where she confronts her friend’s rapist, was good but not great for her whole film. Frances and Andra to me gave the best performances of the five, but I don’t think they have the narrative to win this year.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Day’s film was hindered by its late release date with SAG & BAFTA. I think that was the greater issue with her missing nominations there. Her Globes win wasn’t a “fluke.” That awards body is much more receptive to musical biopic performances than most, and Day’s performance fits perfectly within its wheelhouse. They also had the ulterior motive of wanting to influence the Oscars race, which most (if not all) awards bodies want to do to some degree. In Day’s case, her upset win certainly accomplished that.

Please stop spoiling the ending of “Promising Young Woman” in a non-review thread to those who haven’t seen the film yet.

Profile picture
    shedidnothing92
    Topics:

^I put “spoiler alert.”

Profile picture
    Luca Giliberti
    Topics:

I have realized that reasoning Day’s SAG and BAFTA misses with screener issues is as much of a hypothetical as assuming that Mulligan would have won at BAFTA if not for the jury system. Or is there actually someone who can attest to screener issues for USvBH? Let’s not forget that it still got two longest mentions at BAFTA for hair & makeup and costumes, meaning at least some people had already seen it, which kind of makes Day’s omission inexcusable. And how is it that SAG nominated The Little Things and Judas then? They came out/were screened at around the same time as USvBH.

I used to be on that train about Day’s SAG and BAFTA misses, but in hindsight, they seem kind of inexcusable.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Gunpowder M.M.
    Topics:

may destroy you was waaay better performance than Anyas. She

People saying that good performance is better than jlaws mother performance are embarrassing, tqb was on the same level as Jennifer in the hunger games. I really want to know what she did to make this many users that mad.

Profile picture
    koksvardas
    Topics:

So many of you believe Mulligan and Viola is 1st and 2nd in some order?

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Is anyone gonna change to the spirit award winner if it‘s Davis, McDormand or Mulligan? (and you‘re not already predicting them that is)

Emmy FYC:

Better Call Saul in all categories.

Especially Rhea Seehorn, Bob Odenkirk, Writing, Drama Series.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 535 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 48)’ is closed to new replies.