Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 5)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 636 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Fletcher
Bassett
  • Profile picture
    Bird
    Topics:

Right now I have Frances McDormand and Viola Davis solidly in place (with maybe Vanessa Kirby in 3rd, but still not completely sold on that).

Watch out for Sidney Flanigan. She’s pretty incredible in Never Rarely Sometimes Always. If she can catch waves with critics and the Spirits, I wouldn’t be surprised to see her Oscar nominated.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Call me crazy but I do think Vanessa could pull this off. Obviously, we still have to wait for Viola review’s to be out and I’m pretty sure she’s going to get acclaimed. With that said, Vanessa’s reviews are absolutely insane and by far the best ones so far. Right now I think she’s the frontrunner at the BAFTAs and I have a feeling she’s going to be one of the critics favourites. Even the critics who didn’t like the movie raved her performance. Right now, I would say this is Vanessa vs Viola. Like I said previously, I’m not sold on a 3rd win for Frances. Not this early.

Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

Why is Nicole Beharie the only Best Actress nominee at Gotham that isn’t in the prediction center? 🙄

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Call me crazy but I do think Vanessa could pull this off.

You already know this but I’ve been saying this for months. I mean Cate Blanchett practically said she’s already voting for her and Martin Scorsese said her and Burstyn’s performances are why he came on board to produce the film.

People act like it’s some random European indie that got lucky but I find that idea to be quite daft.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Viola is overrated every time she has an Oscar movie GoldDerby puts her number 1. The bias here towards her is HUGE.

never forget she was LOCKED for widows

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

When the immensely talented Carey Mulligan gets nominated over Kate Winslet in a underwhelming movie. The taste!

You have way too much faith in the Academy

Profile picture
    John Nguyen
    Topics:

You already know this but I’ve been saying this for months. I mean Cate Blanchett practically said she’s already voting for her and Martin Scorsese said her and Burstyn’s performances are why he came on board to produce the film. People act like it’s some random European indie that got lucky but I find that idea to be quite daft.

I never understand why people didn’t listen to you. You were right the whole time

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Was Carey’s last nominated performance for “An Education”?

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Was Carey’s last nominated performance for “An Education”?

Unfortunately, yes.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

You already know this but I’ve been saying this for months. I mean Cate Blanchett practically said she’s already voting for her and Martin Scorsese said her and Burstyn’s performances are why he came on board to produce the film. People act like it’s some random European indie that got lucky but I find that idea to be quite daft.

Yeah, I remember the first time I mentioned POAW here most people didn’t think it would happen but then Scorsese joined, Vanessa won the Volpi Cup and well, now she’s a top 2 contender (in my opinion).

As soon as I heard about that opening scene I had to consider her seriously.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I never understand why people didn’t listen to you. You were right the whole time

I think on here what you see often is people ruling things out in order to meet their own self-fulfilling prophecies. I mean at one point people said there was NO WAY Kirby would be prioritise over Amy Adams and Sophia Loren because “no one gave a f*** about her film” and she was irrelevant to Netflix (even though she won them their first BAFTA on the television side and was Emmy nominated for one of their most popular programmes internationally and in the industry). And people started accusing me of bias and hypocrisy (the irony) and that there was no way she’d happen. I mean someone literally made the absurd claim that less people knew who she was in comparison to Felicity Jones before she got an Oscar nomination for The Theory of Everything lol.

I mean the point is people who are young ingenues get nominated all the time (in fact every year apart from once since the early 00s someone 35 and under has been nominated in this category and someone has been nominated for the first time since then apart from that one year) and she was in a film that had more legs than Loving for example and was more well known and high profile than someone like Ruth Negga or Felicity Jones.

I may be rooting for her at the moment but I literally don’t know if I’ll root for her in the end (as much as I love Vanessa it might be very difficult to top Carey Mulligan in my personal awards).

Yeah, I remember the first time I mentioned POAW here most people didn’t think it would happen but then Scorsese joined, Vanessa won the Volpi Cup and well, now she’s a top 2 contender (in my opinion). As soon as I heard about that opening scene I had to consider her seriously.

Yeah when you mentioned that I immediately put her in my predictions. The thing that really should be pointed out is that in this category in particular voters LOVE shocking performances more and more nowadays (even in Actor). Look at Renee Zellweger and Rami Malek. Whilst I thought Zellweger deserved her Oscar (not so sure about Malek still) there were detractors to their performance but that didn’t matter because they became iconic real life people for their films and that’s enough to win Academy members over. Look at Olivia Colman whose performance was chaotic (in the best sense) or Joaquin Phoenix who almost became unrecognisable in his film.

This is why despite what I posted earlier about Frances I don’t see her winning. She’s one of the greatest actors alive imo but her performance doesn’t seem shocking enough like her 3BB one for voters to vote for her.

It’s Vanessa vs Viola although I am not ruling out Day or Mulligan (Day because she might surprise us and Mulligan because she does surprise you in that film).

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Viola is overrated every time she has an Oscar movie GoldDerby puts her number 1. The bias here towards her is HUGE.

Or the delusion of her getting nominated for that pathetic final season of HTGAWM. Her stans always set her up.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Unfortunately, yes.

Ok, I was pretty certain it was. One of her finest hours!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Or the delusion of her getting nominated for that pathetic final season of HTGAWM. Her stans always set her up.

Honestly I find it so funny how people were saying she was getting nominated over Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer even though they were in a show that was nominated several times including Series, Writing, Directing, Casting and S. Actress the previous year and they were the top 2 in their lineup the previous year. The wishful thinking.

I mean Davis might not have even been in the top 10 in the end…

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 636 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.