Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 50)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 50)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 557 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Victor
wolfali
Victor Cruz
  • Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

I just realized that wolf sound Mcdormand made on stage was not for fun as many would think.

It’s for the sound mixer of Nomadland, Michael Wolf, who died at 35.
    https://twitter.com/ezwrites/status/1386537624056238086?s=19

I love Mcdormand more.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    VedanthM
    Topics:

Almost everyone here likes Frances in nomadland. But putting Frances in the same league as other three time Oscar winner is just too much.
    now, she has more lead Oscar than Streep. She has even more Oscars than her.

With her win, Frances just restored and changed the whole narrative of “ getting a third lead Oscar is so hard “ and it implies a new fact that she is the greatest living actor ever. she won a third faster than any other actors. This is just so crazy in the history of academy awards.

the pandemics made many voters unaware of this.

Pandemic made the campaigning bit futile.

With no live events and meet ups, you end up choosing a performance you feel passionately about. That’s what happened.

Also Frances changed the narrative and accomplished what should have been known for very long. Having more Oscars doesn’t mean that you are the best actor alive. It is just that their performance was better in that year.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

What a race. One for the books. An iconic ceremony at the end of an iconic year, for better or worse.

I believe Viola will win the next time she’s nominated for a Lead Oscar, but not for a movie like Ma Rainey which pulled her back- there was constant talk about how Boseman was the star, she had too little screentime, or how average the movie was. She needs a vehicle and MRBB was not it. The Woman King we will stan, the premise sounds great.

McDormand is, I daresay, done with winning Oscars. Unless she pulls it off with Lady Macbeth and joins the Katherine Hepburn club. Whew, the industry loves this woman.

I feel the same about Carey as I do Viola. I think she can pull off a win with a movie like An Education- that’s more of a character study and reliant on the impact of her performance alone instead of an allegorical movie like PYW (ty catenicole) which is all about the social themes.

I believe Kirby can get future nominations, but I don’t know if I see her winning.

I don’t think Day will be getting any more Oscar nominations, since she has said she doesn’t plan to act a lot and there’s only so many times I can stand Lee Daniels’ poorly constructed attempts at Oscar bait.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

The way Frances McDormand is the Katherine Hepburn of this generation.

Following this post, I just noticed they both are famous for playing strong female characters.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

People write the dumbest posts about Viola. Carey Mulligan isn’t “commercial” and you still have people pretending that she is a lock to win a best actress Oscar. She could but she is by no means a lock. She’s a cute white woman and couldn’t manage more than 2 nominations over a 15 year period and couldn’t win anything substantial for Promising Young Woman.

Viola probably won’t win because she is black and the Oscars refuse to allow another black woman to win best actress.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Halle Berry is winning #2 next year for Bruised… She’s coming!

Profile picture
    Vert93
    Topics:

I disagree with some comments here saying that it took decades for Streep to win a third because she was never really in a BP nominee.

Many voters didn’t want to give Streep a third rapidly because they knew that she would’ve gotten at least 7 /8 oscars if we put the same level of judgement fairly between her and other Oscar winning actresses. Frances juste destroyed the whole history of academy awards and became a sudden legend

There is no doubt that many Oscar voters are unaware of this

fuck pandemic and lucky Frances

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Almost everyone here likes Frances in nomadland. But putting Frances in the same league as other three time Oscar winner is just too much. now, she has more lead Oscar than Streep. She has even more Oscars than her. With her win, Frances just restored and changed the whole narrative of “ getting a third lead Oscar is so hard “ and it implies a new fact that she is the greatest living actor ever. she won a third faster than any other actors. This is just so crazy in the history of academy awards. the pandemics made many voters unaware of this.

Not really. De Niro only has 2 Oscars and he won Greatest Actor Ever here. The General Public don’t care about Oscars. Iñarritu won like 7 or 8 Oscars and nobody, not even him, thinks he is The Greatest Of All Time

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Yes but Mulligan’s movie made cash even under pandemic and was a way bigger movie than Viola’s. Viola needs to be in that type of contender in order to win. And people are overreacting. Viola wasn’t remotely undeniable for the win here and the fact that Chad lost shows the complete lack of support for the movie above-the-line aka for Viola. Day contended with a Hulu flop. What did you expect. It’s not like Frances won cause she’s white. Her movie was not streaming service but theatrical release and won BP.

Promising Young Woman made 12 million worldwide. Stop exaggerating the box office numbers. Carey Mulligan flopped despite being young and white and you all erroneously calling PYW her Joker. Stop acting like Viola was the only loser.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Hey, Mulligan fans, you should be happy about her loss because she’s now definitely being approached to star in more Oscars projects. This looks like a better career path than Jennifer Lawrence’s or anyone’s who won Oscars too early.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    iWantTheGold
    Topics:

I’m pretty confident that in a normal year had PYW been released theatrically (in December) it would’ve been a fucking smash at the box-office and Carey might’ve ridden that industry goodwill Natalie Portman-in-Black Swan-style to Oscar glory.

Frances just makes so much fucking sense in retrospect. She would have been considered a SHOO-IN had she not won 3 years ago. Granted, she did lose all of the other precursors minus a weird BAFTA year, but still.

Profile picture
    lanadelol
    Topics:

I don’t think Day will be getting any more Oscar nominations, since she has said she doesn’t plan to act a lot and there’s only so many times I can stand Lee Daniels’ poorly constructed attempts at Oscar bait.

just wait till Day’s inevitable return as someone like Eartha Kitt. The way she campaigned this season, and has recently been speaking of doing more acting, I think she’ll be back

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

It seems Oscars are too racist for black women as Best Actress. Halle Berry was beautiful and young when she won. So, it seems only Zendaya could win in the future because she is the only biracial who is beautiful like young Halle Berry

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I wanted Mulligan to win but McDormand was the next best thing for me.

It’s quite iconic how she gave zero fucks, didn’t do a single interview, didn’t show to any precursors, and just sweeps in and takes it.

EMMY FYC

The Crown in all categories

Mare of Easttown, Kate Winslet & Julianne Nicholson

IMDY!

Ted Lasso and The Flight Attendant in all categories.

Elisabeth Moss & OT Fagbenle

Profile picture
    Alan
    Topics:

My theory was right, Frances was going to win alongside the Nomadland train… why I changed my mind and put her at fourth at the last minute 😭

We were clowns for doing that

Four-time Academy Award winner Frances McDormand

Two-time Academy Award winner Anthony Hopkins

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 557 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 50)’ is closed to new replies.