Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 50)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 50)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 557 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Victor
wolfali
Victor Cruz
  • Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

all my faves won. some of you fags can stay fuming.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Not some of y’all trying to cancel Frances for winning over Andra / Viola while rooting for Carey

He is not a Mulligan fan, is he?

Mulligan has nothing to do with him. He just enjoy trashing Mcdormand.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Wow, literally every single one of your faves won.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Wow, literally every single one of your faves won.

my power

brits running the academy now, yup yup

FYC:

Profile picture
    Faux architect
    Topics:

This too. I don’t understand the hasty need to give McDormand a third win when only one black woman has won the category. Her second win was just three years ago. It’s not as if McDormand had a narrative. She didn’t even give an undeniable performance. I don’t understand the rush when they kept Meryl Streep hanging for 29 years with constant nominations and amazingly diverse performances. We can all agree Streep was highly overdue for a third win, but McDormand? Hell no. Not when Glenn Close is yet to win one. They don’t just care about black women in this category.

I think the lesson is don’t bet against a respected veteran in a best picture frontrunner. Meryl hasn’t had this advantage in years except for The Post which was a weak nominee (and I’m sure she would have won had it not been for Iron Lady). She’s routinely described as the best part of disappointing movies.

Pantheon of acting: Uta / Elizabeth / Richard / Sandy (Virginia Woolf), Bibi / Liv (Persona), Sandrine (La Ceremonie), Brie (Short Term 12), Jodie (Silence of the Lambs), Jodie (Killing Eve), Nicole (The Others), Eva (Penny Dreadful), Timothée (CMBYN), Lupita (Us)

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Agree about her Fargo win.

But the other two Oscars for playing shades of herself??? Those were unnecessary and not earned.

She’s not even considered a versatile actress at the same level of Streep, Hepburn, Blanchett, Kidman or even younger actresses like Theron or Portman.

Come on, she’s starting to become overrated.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

my power

brits running the academy now, yup yup

Please campaign for Lady Gaga next year.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I wonder if the Academy cares about the limits of acting Oscars. Meryl might just win a 4th if she is in a top 2 Best Picture frontrunner.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Please campaign for Lady Gaga next year.

house of gucci already looks dreadful so… sorry, but no x

i’m going to campaign kirsten dust (or ana de armas) to victory

FYC:

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

house of gucci already looks dreadful so… sorry, but no x

i’m going to campaign kirsten dust (or ana de armas) to victory

Okay, i can get behind of Dunst as well. She is way overdue

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Mark my words: this upcoming season is going to be even messier than this one. Just look at the movies and people in contention.

Profile picture
    GD
    Topics:

Agree about her Fargo win. But the other two Oscars for playing shades of herself??? Those were unnecessary and not earned. She’s not even considered a versatile actress at the same level of Streep, Hepburn, Blanchett, Kidman or even Theron or Portman. Come on, she’s starting to become overrated.

She is overrated. With 3 fu***** Oscars, nobody can tells me that she’s a better actress than Meryl Streep, Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman, etc. Even Elizabeth Moss have more range than her but she have 0 nomination. Oscar are now officially meaningless

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t know why people are acting like Frances McDormand winning is so shocking.

Now don’t get me wrong I didn’t predict her (I had her third but I relied too heavily on forum chatter and pushed her fourth behind Andra Day) but in a year like this with a split open race like this, why wouldn’t the BAFTA winning lead of the far and away Best Picture frontrunner not have a chance at winning. See how Anthony Hopkins won in Actor with the strongest BP contender and H.E.R won in Song for a film that was a rapidly growing Picture contender. I understand the scepticism behind her winning a third so soon (and this is why I didn’t predict her to win) but this is Frances f***ing McDormand we’re talking about. Hollywood loves this woman to death. Just last year Renee Zellweger proved how beloved she was amongst her peers and reaped a second win after 20+ years in the industry. Frances McDormand has been working for around 35 years and she has had goodwill after goodwill built for her. Whether that’s with Almost Famous, Olive Kitteridge, Fargo, Three Billboards etc. This woman isn’t a pariah. What should have been pretty telling was her BAFTA win. BAFTA rarely get the record wrong in the two lead categories and she won over a rising buzzy (also Oscar nominated) British actress. If Davis could win SAG as a SAG favourite, Mulligan win CC as a critics favourite and film twitter favourite and Andra gave a HFPA bait performance then why didn’t Vanessa win at BAFTA? It goes to show Frances’ strength. She quite literally was the Cotillard/Colman of the season not Mulligan.

Davis and Mulligan were clearly next in line and I don’t say that because they were in my top 2 in my predictions. I wouldn’t be surprised if either even came within two votes of winning but we’ll never know lol. Both were in widely viewed films, the former won SAG, the latter was in a BP nominee that won two significant awards at BAFTA (and was either second or third for Best Picture). Both are superstars and they’ll probably be back with The Woman King and Maestro.

The reason I’ve been so hesitant about Glenn Close and Andra Day for almost the whole season is because they were always going to be the lone nominees for their films. Unless you’re sweeping it’s almost virtually impossible to win as the lone nod for your own film. If Glenn can’t win with an overdue narrative and acclaimed film and performance and Julie Christie can’t win with a critically acclaimed performance because of how strong Marion Cotillard’s film (nominated for Best Foreign Language Feature) and Olivia Colman’s (nominated for 10 Oscars including Picture) were and how beloved their performances were then how can Close and Day win for panned films as the sole or only other nominees for their films. It doesn’t make sense. It’s why I never predicted either to win the Oscar once it became clear their films wouldn’t be going anywhere. Andra Day’s Globe win was ages ago and no one was talking about her performance in retrospect to Davis, McDormand and Mulligan’s over the past few weeks. Close was never winning for a panned film based on the life of a eugenicist in this climate.

How do I feel? A bit gutted that neither Mulligan or Davis won. But I’m happy for Frances McDormand. If either Mulligan or Davis deliver a performance on the level they almost always do then I will be rooting for them again. Now if we have a split open race and The Tragedy of Macbeth is a Best Picture nominee next year…

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

He is not a Mulligan fan, is he? Mulligan has nothing to do with him. He just enjoy trashing Mcdormand.

Ignore them. For some reason they like associating Mulligan with everything lol?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 557 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 50)’ is closed to new replies.