Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 50)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 50)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 557 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Victor
wolfali
Victor Cruz
  • Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

you LOST, so you can either ACCEPT defeat or stay fuming!

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Frances can definitely have a 4th acting win in the future, she didn’t even try to win for this while the 4 other nominees campaigned their ass off lmao.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Frances can definitely win a 4th acting win, she didn’t even try to win for this while the 4 other nominees campaigned their ass off lmao.

I would love her to do TV again, over there she won’t have this much hate and i loved Olive Kitteridge to death.

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Cate Blanchett is coming for her third Oscar with future Best Picture frontrunner Nightmare Alley.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

This makes me think Frances would win over Mulligan at BAFTA.

Probably true but at the risk of sounding like a delusional Mulligan fan— and I’ve been called worse things in my life— we still don’t really know what would have happened with the final BAFTA and Oscar voting had Carey been nominated for a BAFTA by the BAFTA jury. Momentum plays a huge role when awards voting takes place in such a compressed time period, especially when the votes between multiple nominees are split closely. Many people want to vote for a winner, and had the BAFTA jury named her, Carey still might have won BAFTA, and then had the momentum that might have carried her to the Oscar.

I’m DEFINITELY NOT saying it is likely Carey would have won the BAFTA had the jury nominated her, or that it is likely she’d have won the Oscar if she had won the BAFTA, I’m merely saying that we’ll never really know what would have happened. Had the BAFTA jury named her OR Viola, either one would have taken at least SOME votes from McDormand, maybe enough to prevent Francis from winning BAFTA, and had she not won BAFTA, it’s still unclear whether Carey (or possibly Viola, had she won BAFTA) would have had the momentum to lead one of them to victory over Francis at the Oscars. Momentum can be a powerful influence. We’ll just never know what would have happened.

In any case, Francis is a worthy winner.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

you LOST, so you can either ACCEPT defeat or stay fuming! 

I’m actually not that mad because the caremony was a MESS and the ratings are going to reflect that.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Probably true but at the risk of sounding like a delusional Mulligan fan— and I’ve been called worse things in my life— we still don’t really know what would have happened with the final BAFTA and Oscar voting had Carey been nominated for a BAFTA by the BAFTA jury. Momentum plays a huge role when awards voting takes place in such a compressed time period, especially when the votes between multiple nominees are split closely. Many people want to vote for a winner, and had the BAFTA jury named her, Carey still might have won BAFTA, and then had the momentum that might have carried her to the Oscar.

Carey had WAY more buzz than Frances at the time of voting and Oscar voters still had the chance to back her up if they were disappointed by her BAFTA miss and they didn’t. Frances would’ve just won either way.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

People counting out Frances for no.4 when her next role is literally Lady Macbeth. The epitome of awards bait…

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Francis is great. I have no hate for her. I’m more so complaining about the Oscars over the last two decades as a whole.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Probably true but at the risk of sounding like a delusional Mulligan fan— and I’ve been called worse things in my life— we still don’t really know what would have happened with the final BAFTA and Oscar voting had Carey been nominated for a BAFTA by the BAFTA jury. Momentum plays a huge role when awards voting takes place in such a compressed time period, especially when the votes between multiple nominees are split closely. Many people want to vote for a winner, and had the BAFTA jury named her, Carey still might have won BAFTA, and then had the momentum that might have carried her to the Oscar. I’m DEFINITELY NOT saying it is likely Carey would have won the BAFTA had the jury nominated her, or that it is likely she’d have won the Oscar if she had won the BAFTA, I’m merely saying that we’ll never really know what would have happened. Had the BAFTA jury named her OR Viola, either one would have taken at least SOME votes from McDormand, maybe enough to prevent Francis from winning BAFTA, and had she not won BAFTA, it’s still unclear whether Carey (or possibly Viola, had she won BAFTA) would have had the momentum to lead one of them to victory over Francis at the Oscars. Momentum can be a powerful influence. We’ll just never know what would have happened. In any case, Francis is a worthy winner.

This!

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Cate Blanchett is coming for her third Oscar with future Best Picture frontrunner Nightmare Alley.

When Nightmare Alley ends up being next year’s Mank/A Star is Born and flops due to peaking too soon…

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

While I wasn’t expecting Frances McDormand to win, I did say that she was the only one besides Day or Mulligan that had a slight chance. We will never know how close the category was but I am wondering aloud if Andra Day took votes away from Viola Davis? Did the unlikability factor harm both Davis and Mulligan? Did Davis’s lack of screentime harm her bid? It turned out that Mulligan’s disappointing lack of precursors with only the Critic’s Choice win harmed her chances. I never ever believed that Andra Day was in 3rd place – she was in a distant 4th place.

I had put Mulligan in 1st as a placeholder until SAG, and then switched to Davis, and then a week or so ago switched back to Mulligan, but I was never certain about this category at all! I do think McDormand has played her role before and while she plays it well it’s the same and doesn’t show any great range as an actress. Still I placed her 3rd, behind Kirby in 1st and Mulligan in 2nd.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Andra Day never had a chance. She only won the Globe because they wanted to prove that they weren’t racist. She barely got a nomination.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If you’ve seen Good Omens you’ll know lol.

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/1386646108731019268

Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

I was wrong about Ma Rainey winning best actress and best actor as well. I’m not trying to pretend that I was right. I know better now though. Take BAFTA more seriously and don’t ever predict a black woman to win best actress again. And don’t predict a black man to win best actor unless he wins BAFTA or loses to someone not nominated for the Oscar.

So dramatic. I’m sure Viola will win in the future with a better role.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 557 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 50)’ is closed to new replies.