Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 521 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Bassett
Luca
  • Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

So Idk if this is “supposed to” go in the Globes thread, but it’s Best Actress specific… Stewart’s reviews are pretty darn good. Could she beat Mulligan and Streep for the Comedy Globe? Who are we even expecting in this category right now? Pfeiffer too huh?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So Idk if this is “supposed to” go in the Globes thread, but it’s Best Actress specific… Stewart’s reviews are pretty darn good. Could she beat Mulligan and Streep for the Comedy Globe? Who are we even expecting in this category right now? Pfeiffer too huh?

No. It’s almost impossible for Stewart to win (I know I yell at people ruling things out on here because they’re trying to meet self fulfilling prophecies but there is no way Stewart happens as much as I hope she breaks her Twilight shackles).

The HFPA in the Comedy/Musical Actress Globe category literally votes for the performance likeliest to be win competitive for the Oscar (even in a weak year they went with J-Law over Amy Schumer). It’s even probably difficult for Streep to win the Globe considering how she never wins Globes unless she’s Emmy or Oscar win competitive.

Not saying Mulligan is win competitive but at worst she’s going on an Amy Adams (Big Eyes) awards trajectory. Stewart will only get in at the Globes.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Yeah, I just watched the trailer and, while she seems excellent and super awkward in the best possible way, it is a Christmas movie lol. I’m anticipating loving Mulligan, and therefore wanting her to win, but I’m nervous that the style/subject matter is too dark for what the HFPA would like to recognize in Comedy after such a bleak year.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah, I just watched the trailer and, while she seems excellent and super awkward in the best possible way, it is a Christmas movie lol. I’m anticipating loving Mulligan, and therefore wanting her to win, but I’m nervous that the style/subject matter is too dark for what the HFPA would like to recognize in Comedy after such a bleak year.

Well I mean in Drama after the election they did award Isabelle Huppert for Elle over Amy Adams and Natalie Portman so I don’t think the darkness of the comedy will hurt Mulligan at the Globes.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

6. Meryl Streep (The Prom or Let Them All Talk)

This is a TV Movie.

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

i actually think kristen has a path to the globe win. the prom could very well be panned and promising young woman could end up being too controversial.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

i actually think kristen has a path to the globe win. the prom could very well be panned and promising young woman could end up being too controversial.

And then you wake up.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Pretty much this. I’d also argue that voters may not have wholly bought into her supporting campaign for A Quiet Place as she had top-billing and all the promotional material of the movie was built around her. It’s telling that the only major awards group where she scored a nom was the one group where category placement is fully based on studios’ decisions. Even Blunt’s period films haven’t been major Oscar contenders. If she ends up in a project similar to The Favourite in terms of prestige she could easily get nominated. None of this is personal.

Let’s not pretend like category fraud stopped Emily Blunt from being recognised for her amazing performance in A Quiet Place. It was even an ensemble piece. BTW, category fraud didn’t stop a lot of actors from getting nominations and wins. The Academy just didn’t want her in. Maybe because of the genre bias

FYC:

Riz Ahmed- Best Actor for Sound Of Metal
    Daniel Kaluuya - Best Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Amanda Seyfried - Best Supporting Actress for Mank

Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

Vanessa Kirby has the most acclaimed performance of the year, she just won TIFF and she will be nominated. To think people are saying Zendaya is in and Kirby is not dazzles me…

And keep underestimating Meryl Streep…have we not learned to never discount her? She is LOVED, and if she’s good in The Prom, she’s in…

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Kirby ate McDormand with critics at TIFF so yes I’d say she’s got the more acclaimed performance.

Okay fine, I’ll give you that. But Hopkins and Boseman are more acclaimed. Kirby is 3rd.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

We don’t even have official reviews for Ma Rainey.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Definitely! I am really curious about the age difference between JDW and Zendaya…I know that age differences are often overlooked (Cooper and Lawrence in SLP!) but Zendaya is 3 years older than JLaw when she filmed SLP and yet seems younger.

You obviously don’t remember the huge controversy about the SLP age gap and no Lawrence did not look older than Zendaya. She was still playing teenagers when she got her role in SLP. The Oscars don’t care about age differences. If enough people like Zendaya she’ll get a nomination.

Profile picture
    Maz
    Topics:

Netflix should submit Zendaya in supporting actress category, I think she would have better chance of getting a nomination in that category. I keep saying that the reason The Prom could do well is because it is heartwarming story musical with humor , which will make it stand out from the rest of the Oscar potential films,which are very serious so that could improve Meryl chances of a nomination. Also the Biden victory factor.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    DestinyFulfilled
    Topics:

You obviously don’t remember the huge controversy about the SLP age gap and no Lawrence did not look older than Zendaya. She was still playing teenagers when she got her role in SLP. The Oscars don’t care about age differences. If enough people like Zendaya she’ll get a nomination.

Some critics mentioned the age difference but I don’t remember O’Russell being asked to justify his casting decision or there being a huge controversy. In the case of JDW and Z., I am just wondering if the age difference will be overlooked entirely or if critics mention it in their reviews like they did with Cooper/Lawrence. Of course Oscar votes won’t give a f*** seeing as most of these old white dudes are probably dating girls that could be their daughter.

Going back to M&M: The “Who’s afraid of Virginia Woolf” comparisons don’t really make sense to me: George and Martha had been married forever whereas Zendaya is 24 which in my mind makes a longtime relationship seem like a stretch. I also read somewhere that they will fight about previous relationships (again, how many could that be for a 24 year old).

I think it’ ll be interesting to see what exactly they are fighting about as that will determine how mature the movie and, hence, Zendaya’s performance are.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.