Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 521 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Bassett
Luca
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Now this is what I call a RACE. People complain that this year has a weak field because the supporting categories are empty but at least both the Lead races are bloodbaths.

Let the battle of the two Netflix Vs begin!

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Yeah, looks like we definitely underestimated Davis last week based on those early reactions, which were of course focused on the late great Chadwick Boseman. She’s still the frontrunner and seems to have the most passion out of all of the Top 3 at the moment, although McDormand and Kirby are not far behind in acclaim. It will be a close race between all 3 ladies, one that will probably be decided by who wins the Globe.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I love these underwhelming reviews of her playing Annalise Keating yet again

The most ridiculous argument that was used by Davis detractors.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Yeah, looks like we definitely underestimated Davis last week based on those early reactions, which were of course focused on the late great Chadwick Boseman. She’s still the frontrunner and seems to have the most passion out of all of the Top 3 at the moment, although McDormand and Kirby are not far behind in acclaim. It will be a close race between all 3 ladies, one that will probably be decided by who wins the Globe.

I wouldn’t say she has the most passion of the three. She has amazing reviews but that doesn’t mean she has more passion. Lets wait to see how critics and precursors go.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The most ridiculous argument that was used by Davis detractors.

The fact that just a few days ago someone argued that Davis was “playing Annalise” in Doubt. I mean firstly that doesn’t make sense considering how Doubt was filmed a long time before HTGAWM even existed but I mean how on earth are those two performances exact like each other.

It’s just a nonsense argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThsZ8wfhJpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENgUqCqWYnk

Also she was so ROBBED of that supporting actress win for Doubt. Her and Amy gave the best performances in that category by FAR.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Now this is what I call a RACE. People complain that this year has a weak field because the supporting categories are empty but at least both the Lead races are bloodbaths.

Let the battle of the two Netflix Vs begin!

Let’s go, ladies! Does anyone know if both movies have already screened for the HFPA?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Let’s go, ladies! Does anyone know if both movies have already screened for the HFPA?

One HFPA member I saw online said they saw Pieces of a Woman (but they a lot of critics saw it through Toronto’s online screener) and said that Kirby gives one of the best performances they’ve seen in recent times and I think they did just screen it the other day for critics, industry folks, Academy members and HFPA members.

Ma Rainey HAS been screened for the HFPA and HFPA members were tweeting about it when the embargo was lifted.

Considering we don’t know anything about Andra Day or Zendaya’s performances yet I’d say this race is easily (right now) a two horse one between Davis and Kirby.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

One HFPA member I saw online said they saw Pieces of a Woman (but they a lot of critics saw it through Toronto’s online screener) and said that Kirby gives one of the best performances they’ve seen in recent times and I think they did just screen it the other day for critics, industry folks, Academy members and HFPA members.

Ma Rainey HAS been screened for the HFPA and HFPA members were tweeting about it when the embargo was lifted.

Considering we don’t know anything about Andra Day or Zendaya’s performances yet I’d say this race is easily (right now) a two horse one between Davis and Kirby.

Cool! Thanks, wolfali! Is Mulligan competing in musical or comedy actress?

Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

I’m predicting David and Kirby fighting HARD for the Oscars…

SAG probably will go to Davis. She ALWAYS wins there. I can see the Golden Globe also going to Davis. And Kirby takes CC and BAFTA, easily.

Wild as hell!

I’m rooting for Viola. She is great, and it’s time for a lead Oscar. But I would be happy for Kirby too. She is an amazing actress.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I can see the Golden Globe also going to Davis

I don’t know. I’d be just as happy with Viola taking the Globe as with Kirby taking it but this one is a tossup. Davis only won the Globe for Fences whilst Kirby got snubbed for both seasons of The Crown so it will be interesting to see which one they go for because it’s not as if both are loved by the HFPA.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Cool! Thanks, wolfali! Is Mulligan competing in musical or comedy actress?

Yep. Probably a near lock for the win if she stays there considering how empty that category is (I’d be surprised if she moved to Drama anyway because that film is clearly a dark comedy/dramedy).

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Regardless of who ultimately wins the Oscar, I don’t think that person will sweep. I could see Kirby win with BAFTA and GG only, because I still think Davis is taking SAG. She and Chad winning together at SAG just makes so much sense, and we know they love her.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Yep. Probably a near lock for the win if she stays there considering how empty that category is (I’d be surprised if she moved to Drama anyway because that film is clearly a dark comedy/dramedy).

Yes, she’s have to be a near lock. I thought perhaps, the great Pfeiffer, but I don’t think this is the film for it.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

If Viola wins the Globe she will definetly sweep imo, unless something crazy happens and BAFTA jury snubs her.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Viola wins the Globe she will definetly sweep imo, unless something crazy happens and BAFTA jury snubs her.

BAFTA’s jury could very well snub her. Although I think she’s far safer than any of the “big Oscar contenders” with the jury system (apart from maybe Kirby and Mulligan).

Put it this way with the jury she’s safer than Winslet for the nomination.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.