Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 8)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 432 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
leslieit
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

as this year’s Hereditary which is quite bizarre.

Lol, what? That’s just… inexplicable.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

No, it’s about rape culture. Not saying more because I don’t want to spoil it for you.

You’ve seen it too? At least I’m not the only one who has seen it who thinks Mulligan can do very well.

Also I stan your profile picture.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

Pieces of a Woman will be harder to watch but what is worth mentioning is that it’s being compared to Manchester by the Sea yet I’ve seen people on here dub it as this year’s Hereditary which is quite bizarre. Manchester by the Sea also came out in a depressing year (although admittedly not as depressing as this one) and won Actor so all I’m saying is some of the comparisons people make with other films and Pieces are a bit strange.

but manchester by the sea had a 96 metacritic score.

comparing pieces of a woman to either hereditary or manchester by the sea is strange.

Profile picture
    Drusilla
    Topics:

Maybe Mulligan could be nominated for “The Dig” if “Promising Young Woman” proves too controversial ? Providing it gets good reviews of course.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yes you are Mulligan will have to do Witch craft in real life to snatch that trophy from Kirby or Davis

I’m sorry I didn’t realise you’re AmnistyY21.

but manchester by the sea had a 96 metacritic score. comparing pieces of a woman to either hereditary or manchester by the sea is strange.

I think what the reviewers meant was they were comparing it to Manchester by the Sea tonally. Not qualitatively.

Comparing Hereditary either qualitatively or tonally to Pieces of a Woman is strange.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I know people who love horror films who were so terrified watching Us that they ran out of the auditorium screaming lol.

That makes no sense to me. I’m a weenie when it comes to horror films and I could handle Us just fine. It wasn’t scary at all, just really disturbing (Get Out was the same way for me).

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

From Deadline:
    “Sophia Loren’s Return To Movies In ‘The Life Ahead’ Lands In Top 10 Of All Netflix Offerings In First Week Of Release In 37 Countries”

What a beautiful headline.

Don’t count out Queen Sophia!

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I thought “Us” was funnier than it was scary — which is not a bad thing. “F*** Tha Police” is an iconic cinematic moment.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

I thought “Us” was funnier than it was scary — which is not a bad thing. “F*** Tha Police” is an iconic cinematic moment.

I don’t think they were going for full-on horror with Us (or at least if they did, that didn’t work). It was more symbolic than anything else. And very twisted in its humor. Lupita mastered a whole new level of horror heroine, though.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I loved Us and didn’t find it scary but the whole concept I think scared people (as in the doppelgängers).

But the real reason I think it didn’t get in was because the Academy do not like horror films outside of Get Out‘s small number of noms (although to be fair it was a pop cultural phenomenon).

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Mulligan definitely has good chances to be nominated. Be prepared to everyone being surprised when she wins comedy/musical GG and gets nominated for SAG.

Profile picture
    Lady Bird Ronan
    Topics:

Mulligan is literally the front runner for GG Musical/Comedy. I don’t think anyone would be that surprised.

FYC:

Best Picture: "Minari"
    Best Director: Chloé Zhao, "Nomadland"
    Best Actor: Delroy Lindo, "Da 5 Bloods"
    Best Actress: Carey Mulligan, "Promising Young Woman"
    Best Supporting Actor: Glynn Turman, "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung, "Minari"

"Don't be a Republican" - Lady Bird Ronan

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Mulligan is going to WIN the Globe and she’s quite likely at both BAFTA and SAG. At worst she’ll be the person who gets in everywhere who misses on nominations day so I don’t know why people are dismissing her so quickly. I mean at one point people said Loren was likelier to get into critics awards than her which makes no sense.

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

i swear if i have to read “stop underestimating carey mulligan or vanessa kirby” one more time

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Considering how much HFPA loves Pike, they might aswell release it during this season and get her that GG nom.

Pike only has 2 career Globe noms. For me that’s more toleration than love.

FYC:

Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 432 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.