Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 8)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 432 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
leslieit
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

The only award I see Viola competitive for is SAG since they have a love affair with her. But just like Denzel in Fences it will not translate into an Oscar win because she got upstaged by her costar.

Okay.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I was ready to dismiss this comment until I actually realized Netlfix hasn’t won a Lead Oscar… But can obviously change and I’m sure it will at some point. It’s almost certain to change next year, since Chadwick will be winning. Viola can win but Actress is a bit messy right now.

This is why even though I am the biggest Kirby proponent here I wouldn’t go as far to call either Kirby or Davis locks for the win.

Mulligan has a much better chance this year than she would have last year and I feel like the fact she’s doing the most campaigning, her film still has buzz from Sundance and has additional buzz because of Fennell and The Crown and the fact she’s guaranteed a Globe win and slots at CC and BAFTA at this point makes me think she could upset. She also has Focus Features who KNOW how to get nominated and win.

She really is the dark horse here. And I say this as someone pushing for Kirby lol.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

1. Davis
    2. McDormand
    3. Day
    4. Mulligan
    5. 2nd Netflix slot between Kirby/Loren/Zendaya

Working under assumption that Billie Holiday is coming out and actually good.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Funny to think that Loren Mulligan is almost a lock in the category.

Ahh.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

If Davis had won the Volpi Cup y’all would be saying “the race is over!!!” or some other such nonsense. Instead y’all are trying to come up with every reason under the sun of why “Kirby can’t win”.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. McDormand 2. Davis 3. Day 4. Mulligan 5. 2nd Netflix slot between Kirby/Loren/Zendaya Working under assumption that Billie Holiday is coming out and actually good.

Oh come on. Kirby is not less likely than Mulligan for the nomination and is ahead of Loren and Zendaya. This is getting ridiculous now. Kirby is Netflix’s main push in this category and she is not missing!

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Oh come on. Kirby is not less likely than Mulligan for the nomination and is ahead of Loren and Zendaya. This is getting ridiculous now.

Focus Features is good with getting acting noms, and I think Promising Young will have a nice guild run (which Pieces won’t have imo) in addition to a likely Globe win.

Profile picture
    Justmimusicmon
    Topics:

The only award I see Viola competitive for is SAG since they have a love affair with her. But just like Denzel in Fences it will not translate into an Oscar win because she got upstaged by her costar.

She actually hasn’t gotten upstaged by her costar, as she’s gotten more than her share of praise for her performance. It’s fine to want to predict and want someone, but Viola Davis should not be underestimated in this race, for more reasons than one.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Oh come on. Kirby is not less likely than Mulligan for the nomination and is ahead of Loren and Zendaya. This is getting ridiculous now. Kirby is Netflix’s main push in this category and she is not missing!

I agree with Loren. Zendaya we don’t know yet so that can land anywhere right now, but I would argue that Mulligan is about the same if not a little above Kirby (both are strong contenders).

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Focus Features is good with getting acting noms, and I think Promising Young will have a nice guild run (which Pieces won’t have imo) in addition to a likely Globe win.

And I agree Promising Young Woman will have a nice guild run and Mulligan is in (and a possible threat for the win) but when it comes to the nomination she’s not likelier than either Kirby or Davis. That’s just ridiculous (and I say this as someone who’s favourite performance of the year thus far comes from Mulligan).

Profile picture
    Faux architect
    Topics:

Me when Aubrey Plaza becomes a critical darling and gets nominated for Black Bear.

Pantheon of acting: Uta / Elizabeth / Richard / Sandy (Virginia Woolf), Bibi / Liv (Persona), Sandrine (La Ceremonie), Brie (Short Term 12), Jodie (Silence of the Lambs), Jodie (Killing Eve), Nicole (The Others), Eva (Penny Dreadful), Timothée (CMBYN), Lupita (Us)

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Me when Aubrey Plaza becomes a critical darling and gets nominated for Black Bear.

She’s definitely getting in at the Indie Spirits but it would be pretty great if she got into CC, Comedy Globe, etc..

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Even if Viola won Volpi Cup then winning a Volpi Cup while you’re playing in an acclaimed August Wilson bait that will also likely be a BP nominee > winning a Volpi Cup for a bleak indie that has average reviews that won’t even be in BP conversation.

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

I had no idea what the Volpi Cup even was before this year.

I had no idea what the Volpi Cup even was before this year.

Do not discredit an important festival just because you don’t know it

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Oh I am sorry if that’s how it came across. What I was trying to say was that I don’t think Davis peeps would have been using this as a reason to predict her.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 432 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.