Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 8)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 432 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
leslieit
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This won’t affect the nomination or potential win for the POAW ladies or Colman or Hopkins but I’m wondering if we’re underestimating a potential influx of comedy nominees this year due to how bleak the year has been?

For example I have Rashida Jones ahead of Elisabeth Moss now because even though Moss has the buzzier and more acclaimed performance The Invisible Man remains a horror film whilst On the Rocks is a film about a 40 year old woman and her father which is more appealing to the Academy and is a film we know Academy members have watched. You could say by that logic I shouldn’t be predicting Mulligan but Mulligan and Moss are in two completely different circumstances with their films.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

No, I don’t think so.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

No, I don’t think so.

Intriguing.

You know what’s interesting about this year is how despite there being a pandemic there are much stronger performances in contention in this category than last year. I mean the ones in my personal lineup this year so far (Blank, Garner, Jones, Mulligan, Moss) have given much stronger performances than 3/5 of my personal lineup last year lol.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I wonder, when they are voting, do they rank their favorite performances or do they just vote for 1.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Best Picture is a ranked ballot; the other categories are decided via popular vote.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wonder, when they are voting, do they rank their favorite performances or do they just vote for 1.

I think they vote for 5?

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I think they vote for 5?

Do they rank the performances for preferences or do they vote for 5 nominees and 1 winner?

Profile picture
    Jasmine is French
    Topics:

I thought it was the popular vote by ranking to avoid a tie?

Day/ Davis/ Kirby/ Mulligan/ Loren is my top tier now

McDormand, Winslet, Pfeiffer, Zendaya, Flanigan is a good second tier.

I cannot imagine Streep getting anything. Maybe GG in comedy/ musical

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Can we get a Nomadland trailer or what ? That teaser was intriguing and all but damn, I need to see something

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Just looking at that clip online for Nomadland has me thinking that the film will deal with homeless camps. Living on the Westcoast of USA myself, homeless is a huge issue and many are one paycheck away from being there. McDormand might win over hearts with that alone.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

If not McDormand, the movie itself will definitely win hearts for this

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Just looking at that clip online for Nomadland has me thinking that the film will deal with homeless camps. Living on the Westcoast of USA myself, homeless is a huge issue and many are one paycheck away from being there. McDormand might win over hearts with that alone.

I’ve seen it twice and you’re correct. It definitely does. There’s this fantastic mini-monologue that McDormand has at Strathairn’s son’s house, in response to a realtor, about the American economic system. It touches on homelessness quite a bit.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I’ve seen it twice and you’re correct. It definitely does. There’s this fantastic mini-monologue that McDormand has at Strathairn’s son’s house, in response to a realtor, about the American economic system. It touches on homelessness quite a bit.

I can’t speak for most countries, but living on the Westcoast, there are tents on every other block with people living in them. There are small communities full of homeless people. Nomadland might be their voice.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Introducing future Academy Award™ winner Vanessa Kirby…

Vanessa Kirby’s Time Is… Now?

Profile picture
    leslieit
    Topics:

I hope Viola finally will get her Vogue cover.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 432 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.