Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 472 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
leslieit
David
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

you and the Kirby stans who liked this are delusional point still stands true go look it up but Kirby could overcome it it’s a new decade

Here you come again…and once again you failed.
    I’m not a Kirby Stan. I’m literally predicting Viola to win. And if you think you need to be in a BP contender or in an acclaimed movie in order to win acting award, I strongly suggest you to curb your delusion.

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

I think a best actress race like this is exactly what all of the main category races should feel like, there’s going to be so much excitement and debate (and yes, unfortunately arguing) on nomination morning and at each precursors until the final ceremony. There’s nothing more boring than a race that’s over before it’s even begun.

As for the Kirby debate, I think the people who are saying that nobody knows who she is are really telling on themselves. If you had no idea who Vanessa Kirby was before POAW broke through then I’m sorry but maybe you didn’t have your finger on the pulse of the entertainment industry as much as you thought you did. She’s been a rising star for years now, and frankly it shocks me how many people from an oscars prediction forum are only just hearing about her now. The argument about whether she is known is moot now too, once she won at Venice and she got the praises from the people she did, voters made it their business to know who she was. Everyone has their first breakout nomination at some point, and for some reason that basic level of understanding has been afforded to every rising star thats been nominated in the past 10 years until now? It makes no sense.

I don’t comment much but I do lurk-read these forums daily and have done for years, and the characterisation of Wolfali as a stan for simply saying that Kirby is in contention and a likely nomination is bizarre. It’s a predictions game, by nature we are all going to have different ideas of what that final acting lineup or 20 is going to look like. If you don’t predict Kirby for a nomination, that’s fine and no one is holding that against you. Afford others who do have Kirby predicted the same courtesy?

FYC:

BEST ACTRESS — CAREY MULLIGAN
    BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

LOL, breathe and use a comma. That sentence is a maze.

Sorry. It’s hard to use a comma when I have a NeNe Leeks gif lol.

Are you my high school English teacher? Jk.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Not Ron Howard retweeting Ben Shapiro 💀

Profile picture
    Potatohead
    Topics:

Out of curiosity, have films with reviews as bad as Hillbilly Elegy ever received major nominations? And I mean like, abysmal reviews. I don’t know if there’s any precedence for it, but I feel like Adams and Close aren’t completely doomed yet–that is, I don’t think either is getting in, but at the same time I wouldn’t be too shocked if one does.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Baby you looking really stupid you can literally look at google for my facts with the last decade on best actress winners besides Renee for Judy in biopics which the Academy loves plus she’s a acting icon playing a legend

Halle Berry, Charlize Theron, Marion Cotillard, Kate Winslet, Sandra Bullock, Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore and your precious Renee all won for movies that are regarded as mediocrity. I think you’re the one looking stupid right now.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Out of curiosity, have films with reviews as bad as Hillbilly Elegy ever received major nominations? And I mean like, abysmal reviews. I don’t know if there’s any precedence for it, but I feel like Adams and Close aren’t completely doomed yet–that is, I don’t think either is getting in, but at the same time I wouldn’t be too shocked if one does.

I think the last person was Sean Penn for I Am Sam. That movie has an even worse score on Metacritic than Hillbilly Elegy.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Halle Berry, Charlize Theron, Marion Cotillard, Kate Winslet, Sandra Bullock, Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore and your precious Renee all won for movies that are regarded as mediocrity. I think you’re the one looking stupid right now.

You’re very patient, Estrelas. This guy went to ignore as soon as he flopped hard comparing Jennifer Lawrence’s Oscar to Joaquin’s. I recommend that you do the same and avoid dealing with that mess.

Profile picture
    Jasmine is French
    Topics:

If you focus on the narrative, what kind of narrative does these ladies have:
    – Viola Davis: 1 win/ 3 noms
    – Sophia Loren: 1 win/ 1 honorary/ 2 noms
    – Carey Mulligan: 1 nom
    – Frances McDormand: 2 wins/ 5 noms
    – Andra Day:
    – Michelle Pfeiffer: 3 noms
    – Kate Winslet: 1 win / 7 noms
    – Vanessa Kirby:

Davis: getting RAVES and showing being a versatile actress, becoming the first African American actress to win both a supporting and a leading Oscar

Loren: the comeback from an industry icon and European Goddess, showing range and has not been nominated since 1965, everybody LOVES a comeback story

Mulligan: been building buzz for years with overlooked performances like Wild Life, Suffragette, Shame and Drive, on demand actress

McDormand: newly crown 2 timer at the Oscars, yet another RAVED performances, may become the 7th actor with 3 Oscars, her movie and director is getting raves as well

Day: new kid in town, possible strong biopic, never nominated, African American

Pfeiffer: legend, welcome back to the Academy, overlooked before, weak film

Winslet: the young talent who became a force in the industry, future legendary actress, time for Winslet to get her 2nd Oscar

Kirby: Volpi winner, RAVED, strong buzz, The Crown, universal message in the movie

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If you had no idea who Vanessa Kirby was before POAW broke through then I’m sorry but maybe you didn’t have your finger on the pulse of the entertainment industry as much as you thought you did. She’s been a rising star for years now, and frankly it shocks me how many people from an oscars prediction forum are only just hearing about her now.

I mean I’m predicting her for a rising star nomination at BAFTA because of how ridiculous that category is (see Jack Lowden getting a nomination after appearing in a string of Oscar bait films as the male supporting lead or Kaitlyn Dever, Rachel McAdams and Chris Hemsworth) but the idea that no one has ever heard of her is delusional. The Crown is a show that is one of the most popular Netflix shows in the world (or at least it is this year) and is one of the most popular in the industry. Yes it’s TV but the TV Academy and Film Academy have a growing crossover in members nowadays. She’s also in two of the biggest box office franchises on the planet (one of which she is the principal supporting female in) and has a supporting role in a commercially successful Richard Curtis film too. She also has the backing of one of the famous and well respected actors in Hollywood ever and one of the most famous and well respected directors/producers in Hollywood ever and the backing of Bron studios. People know who she is.

Of course she’s nowhere near as famous as Davis or McDormand but that’s like comparing Ruth Negga (who hardly anyone even in the UK and Ireland had heard of when she got nominated over Amy Adams in a BP contender) to Nicole Kidman. It’s a stupid comparison.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Dorsey
    Topics:

wait is Kirby a nobody or does she have an army of stans i’m confused

FYC: Riz Ahmed + Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    Sidney Flanigan (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
    Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

I guess you’re a delusional Kirby Stan also the main argument came from a assumption Kirby would win when it’s possible but many obstacles in her way most of the people who said that she not a lock still have her third or second place now can of delusion stop

I don’t even have Kirby predicted for a win. Not everyone who has a different opinion is a stan, I can just see that Kirby has a path because I’m not naive. Don’t predict her, I don’t care, but it looks super desperate to call everyone who is going to predict her a crazy stan.

Not that it matters either but you can be a “stan” and also have the ability to form basic logical opinion. My favourite actress is Viola Davis but that’s not why I’m predicting her and I’ll happily take her off if I feel that her performance or push for a win isn’t good enough. Conversely I guess I could be called a Henry Golding stan but I have never predicted him here for Monsoon or other roles. I love Margot Robbie but I made no predictions for her to win last year. We all have our favourites, for most of us it doesn’t actually change a thing in our predictions though.

FYC:

BEST ACTRESS — CAREY MULLIGAN
    BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Most of the people you mentioned were either previous nominees/winners, playing real people, their film was a major contender that year in other categories, or had a complete transformative performance that was undeniable. None of those aspects apply to Kirby this year which means she has many obstacles standing in her path in terms of a win. Anything is possible in a year like this, but the numbers aren’t on her side.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

We all have our favourites, for most of us it doesn’t actually change a thing in our predictions though.

EXACTLY THIS. I am a fan of Kirby’s work and am rooting for her but that’s not the reason I have her in number one. I am a fan of Amy Adams and Glenn Close but I’m not predicting them for nominations. Delroy Lindo gives my favourite performance by an actor this year yet I think he might not even get the nomination. Da 5 Bloods will be in my Best Picture lineup in my personal awards but not my actual predictions. Radha Blank gave one of my favourite performances of the year yet I don’t see her happening.

Just because some of us are rooting for people it’s not like that’s the reason we’re predicting them. I always find it strange when people on here respond to people predicting Kirby (or basically someone else other than Davis, McDormand or Day) by saying they’re just “obsessively stanning” or “put that you’re hopedicting in your post next time”. It’s just childish regardless of who it is directed at. I know I’m not exactly innocent of that type of behaviour but I’m trying to improve on that and I hope others are with themselves.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Most of the people you mentioned were either previous nominees/winners, playing real people, their film was a major contender that year in other categories, or had a complete transformative performance that was undeniable. None of those aspects apply to Kirby this year which means she has many obstacles standing in her path in terms of a win. Anything is possible in a year like this, but the numbers aren’t on her side.

The numbers aren’t on Day side either, yet you’re saying she’s a frontrunner for the win alongside Viola. Strange days…

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 472 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.