Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 472 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
leslieit
David
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:
    1. your such a dummy I said this decade and still Alice has better reviews than pieces of a woman

The Wife also had better reviews than PoaW and it was still labeled as mediocrity by almost everyone. So I guess you lost again.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

The numbers aren’t on Day side either, yet you’re saying she’s a frontrunner for the win alongside Viola. Strange days…

I mean Billie Holiday is directed by Lee Daniels, who is a previously nominee, and the film may be a Bp contender and is in the conversation as of right now. We can’t say the same for Poaw unfortunately…

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

‘The Wife’ starred one of the most overdue actresses working right now. The comparison is off…

I was literally responding to a post that said Still Alice had better reviews, therefore couldn’t be labeled as mediocrity. Which is not true, considering The Wife also had better reviews and still got labeled as just okay and mediocre. I never said anything about winning Oscars.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I mean Billie Holiday is directed by Lee Daniels, who is a previously nominee, and the film may be a Bp contender and is in the conversation as of right now. We can’t say the same for Poaw unfortunately…

Lee Daniels is a hit or miss with the Oscars and Andra Day has zero acting experience. And if you think Kirby isn’t a big name in the Industry, then Day certainly is not.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

I was literally responding to a post that said Still Alice had better reviews, therefore couldn’t be labeled as mediocrity. Which is not true, considering The Wife also had better reviews and still got labeled as just okay and mediocre. I never said anything about winning Oscars.

I just realized that, which is why I deleted that part.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

performance that was undeniable. None of those aspects apply to Kirby this year which means she has many obstacles standing in her path in terms of a win.

And how do you know Kirby doesn’t have a performance that won’t be considered undeniable? Have you seen Pieces of a Woman (I’ll admit I haven’t)? Right now her performance is the most universally acclaimed (if not the most universally acclaimed) this year and is one of the only performances to have actually won awards.

playing real people,

I can understand what you mean by real people as in people who were famous people but we’ve seen recently how (unless you’re Olivia Colman in the most nominated film of the year) you need to be kind of incredibly famous or iconic to win. At least in the Actress category. Look at Margot Robbie losing to Frances McDormand (although obviously there were other reasons at play including the fact McDormand’s film was potentially the runner up for Picture and was highly topical).

I actually think having realistic gritty performances helps performers in this category. Part of the reason I’m predicting Kirby is because critics have said her performances is quite realistic for someone who has never given birth before. But also look at Julianne Moore winning for playing someone with Alzheimer’s. Yes she had a strong overdue narrative but she also was playing someone who was challenged with a problem that many could relate to as they’d have family in that situation. Look at why we were partly predicting Hopkins to win at the start. Look at Brie Larson winning for someone who was kidnapped, abused and raped and kept in prison by a pervert. Look at Frances McDormand (who yes like Moore also had a narrative) winning partly because of how human her performance was as a woman who was campaigning for justice after her daughter was killed and raped. I feel like voters are gravitating towards human (sometimes bleaker) performances of “real people” apart from the odd Zellweger or Oldman or Malek.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    John Nguyen
    Topics:

I still can’t believe with the mess with viola vs Kirby people still think Day is gonna be a threat when her film isn’t even released yet. Y’all need to chill

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Yeah, we can analyze trends all day but ultimately no one is voting for someone because they’re playing “a real life person” or simply because they “transformed.” Of course, even fictional characters are real people if played well.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

And how do you know Kirby doesn’t have a performance that won’t be considered undeniable? Have you seen Pieces of a Woman (I’ll admit I haven’t)? Right now her performance is the most universally acclaimed (if not the most universally acclaimed) this year and is one of the only performances to have actually won awards.

You literally cut out half of what I said… I said a “transformative performance that was undeniable” and I was referring to Theron when I said that because I’ve seen people (including you) try to make the comparison of Kirby and Theron having a similar trajectory. As far as I know, Kirby’s performance isn’t transformative.

but we’ve seen recently how (unless you’re Olivia Colman in the most nominated film of the year) you need to be kind of incredibly famous or iconic to win. At least in the Actress category.

Not necessarily. Lawrence and Larson weren’t huge stars or incredibly famous when they won, but their films were both nominated for Bp which pushed them over that hump. Kirby’s film is not in the Bp conversation, so like I said, history is not on her side in terms of a win. She’s a solid 3rd spot…

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

It’s the way I keep seeing Day being compared to Sidibe’s story to justify why she’s a so- called threat to win when Gabby herself was in 4th position that year, so where do we go from here ?

Acting like Daniels is some big draw when only one of his movies hit it big with the Academy

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Lee Daniels is a hit or miss with the Oscars and Andra Day has zero acting experience. And if you think Kirby isn’t a big name in the Industry, then Day certainly is not.

I agree, Lee Daniels can be a hit or miss when it comes to Oscars, but he has got actresses with little to no experience nominated and even a win before  (Mo’Nique and Sibide which was her first role ever). Also, I’m pretty confident in the film itself after reading more about it and I think this film can easily fit in to Bp if it lands well with critics and voters. That being said, Day has obstacles in her path as well when it comes to the win, but she has the potential of getting that extra push needed if the film gets into Bp (which I’m predicting atm).

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

It’s the way I keep seeing Day being compared to Sidibe’s story to justify why she’s a so- called threat to win when Gabby herself was in 4th position that year, so where do we go from here ?

Sidibe was only brought up as an example of Lee Daniels being a great actors director that can direct complete newbie to a brilliant performance.

Also with the way Precious overperformed with the Oscars, I’m sure she finished above Mulligan, BAFTA be damned, but that’s besides the point lol.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Updated Predictions (I still don’t see Billie Holliday coming out on time so until we get a trailer I won’t slot it in)

1. Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
    2. Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    3. Frances McDormand, Nomadland
    4. Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
    5. Zendaya, Malcolm and Marie

6. Sophia Loren, The Life Ahead
    7. Meryl Streep, The Prom
    8. Kate Winslet, Ammonite
    9. Michelle Pfeiffer, French Exit
    10. Anya Taylor-Joy, Emma (if Billie Holliday misses eligibility this is my NGNG 10th place prediction)

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I’d understand the sudden Day bandwagon if she was a relevant TV actress or even a successful singer in the first place but 💀

Comparing her to Diana Ross who was A-list and coming from a group that was competing with the Beatles on the charts 💀

Or Gabby who never really had a chance to win

Mo’Nique who won SUPPORTING, or the only Oscar category that has achieved a near perfect equality between white women and women of color this past decade, while Best Actress remains damn near out of reach for the latter

nothing but flawed comparisons

Gaga’s immense starpower couldn’t carry her to the win yet somehow Day will win with a baity role and nothing else ? Nnn

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Yeah, again nobody was comparing Day to either Gabby, Mo’nique and that’s the first time I think Diana Ross was brought up in this thread? Correct me if I’m wrong on the last one tho.

The only reason Gabby and Mo’Nique were brought up was to show that Lee Daniels can direct juice performance, even from the newbie or the person that you wouldn’t be expecting such a powerhouse performance from.

Also, in my opinion the fact that she’s not Gaga-level famous is actualy a positive for her.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 472 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.