Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 472 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
leslieit
David
  • Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Only on Goldderby would acclaimed and campaign prioritised performances of people who have actually acted before like Vanessa Kirby and Frances McDormand be ruled out of contention for the win whilst a performance by Andra Day, a singer whose most high profile credit is a voice cameo in Cars 3, in a film no one (not even film twitter) has heard about or is buzzed about is apparently a “lock”.

I mean I find it rich that people are saying people predicting Kirby and Davis are obsessively stanning when this is just another level.

P.S. Poor McDormand. Someone should be rooting for her because girl is the only one who doesn’t have anyone pushing for her (i.e. there are people pushing for Kirby and Davis and Day but not her).

chill. It’s not that serious

FYC:

Riz Ahmed- Best Actor for Sound Of Metal
    Daniel Kaluuya - Best Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Amanda Seyfried - Best Supporting Actress for Mank

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Natasha Richardson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx3F3YfsWHA Natasha is a Sally we’re much more likely to sympathize with. We see her, also coked out of her mind, jittery, unsteady on her feet, with intense stage fright, and very little singing ability. She also nails these most essential qualities of Sally. As the song progresses, her eyes begin focusing into a void in which Richardson is seeing clear images. Richardson’s Sally seems to be eaten alive by her depression. She really uses the audience when she asks “what good is sitting…” towards the end. She warns them “start by admitting from cradle to tomb isn’t that long a stay.” The end is celebratory and couples real well with the lyrics, making for a harrowing last glance at Sally Bowles (besides an upcoming scene w her and Cliff).

Oh my god I just saw this and it gave me chills. I still think Horrocks is the definitive Sally performance but the vulnerability and the transformation in Richardson’s performance.

It’s such a shame that she didn’t really the credit she deserved when she was alive. She was just as talented and underrated as her mother is.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Why does it sound like people on here are pitting Andra Day vs Vanessa Kirby. You know they both could end up being nominated, right???

Once again, let’s wait and see their films first before we drive ourselves crazy. The both have pros/cons:

Vanessa (Venice winner and baity role/Film could be too dark for voters)

Andra (Lee Daniels directing her in iconic biopic role/Major debut performance… will she be good enough?)

Currently I’m predicting both ladies to get in (films unseen).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Andra Day is playing Billie fucking Holiday, wake me up when Vanessa Kirby gets a literal Oscar bait role like this one.

And Margot Robbie played Tonya Harding but lost an Oscar to Frances McDormand playing a woman who was campaigning for justice for her daughter who was raped and murdered. Kingsley Ben-Adir is playing Malcolm X yet he’s not going to win over Chadwick Boseman 0r Anthony Hopkins who aren’t playing iconic or well known real life figures. Diana Ross who was the Queen of the 70s lost for playing Billie fucking Holiday herself to Liza Minelli in Cabaret. Just last year Taron Egerton was playing Elton John and had one of the most acclaimed performances of the year yet he got snubbed whilst Jonathan Pryce got in for playing a Pope and Antonio Banderas got in for a Spanish film.

Just because you’re playing someone iconic or famous it doesn’t guarantee you a nomination or a win. I know people are going to say but what about Cynthia last year but last year the final spot was literally between Cynthia Erivo playing Harriet Tubman, Lupita in a horror movie and rapper and comedian Awkwafina in a movie that hardly any voters saw because the distributor was shit at its campaigning for it.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Andra is winning there’s absolutely no doubt about it.

I’m sorry but considering how keen people on here are with using the “stan argument” it is ironic how people pushing for someone who has never acted before are accusing Kirby and Davis stans of obsessive staining when they are literally calling their favourite performance (which no one has actually even seen a clip or a trailer of yet) a lock for the win.

Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

Not people dropping volpi cup winner Kirby playing mother who lost child off the cliff for Zendaya playing kisses with Denzel’s talentless son for a basically filmed play. On another note, we definitely need some Day reviews kicking in, because this race sits with no solid frontrunner at the moment and it’s boring.

We have a very clear frontrunner and that’s Kirby. She actually won an award for her performance. None of the other contenders have won anything for their performances. When the other awards start pouring in during the next couple of months then we can have a better idea of how the race is shaping up. But even then, I wouldn’t put too much stock in critics’ awards. Last year’s winner (Zellweger) didn’t win any of the “Trifecta”. All she won was the NBR and few regional critics awards, and yet she still won the Oscar. Not to mention that the Volpi Cup is awarded by people in the industry.

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

And Margot Robbie played Tonya Harding but lost an Oscar to Frances McDormand playing a woman who was campaigning for justice for her daughter who was raped and murdered. Kingsley Ben-Adir is playing Malcolm X yet he’s not going to win over Chadwick Boseman 0r Anthony Hopkins who aren’t playing iconic or well known real life figures. Diana Ross who was the Queen of the 70s lost for playing Billie fucking Holiday herself to Liza Minelli in Cabaret. Just last year Taron Egerton was playing Elton John and had one of the most acclaimed performances of the year yet he got snubbed whilst Jonathan Pryce got in for playing a Pope and Antonio Banderas got in for playing a Spanish film. Just because you’re playing someone iconic or famous it doesn’t guarantee you a nomination or a win. I know people are going to say but what about Cynthia last year but last year the final spot was literally between Cynthia Erivo playing Harriet Tubman, Lupita in a horror movie and rapper and comedian Awkwafina in a movie that hardly any voters saw because the distributor was shit at its campaigning for it.

Not you mentioning all these POC women like their chances to win or even be nominated aren’t slim as fuck

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure wolfali was the one who stated that, which leads me to believe it’s made up bc I don’t remember him including a source along with the statement. I would love to be proven wrong though.

Now time has passed I thought I’d respond to this properly without any mention of the inappropriateness of the allegations made in the post.

Anne Thompson in October stated that Vanessa Kirby was a lock for the Best Actress race. This being at a time when she hadn’t even called any other Netflix actress contender a lock.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/netflix-oscar-release-dates-mank-prom-1234591271/

Then in the slugfest for the Actor and Actress race both Anne Thompson and Pete Hammond said Netflix will make sure people watch both Davis and Kirby’s performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDxCz_StmCU

Then we just found out this week that both Kirby and Davis will be on the Graham Norton Show together to promote Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom and Pieces of a Woman. The only other actress from a Netflix film who has gone on Graham Norton to promote their film is Amy Adams who is in a film that is critically panned. Not even Sophia Loren who is an iconic actress from the Golden Age of Hollywood came on the show. Jessie Buckley did come on to promote I’m Thinking of Ending Things but she is also bigger in the UK than she is in the US and she was promoting the film like almost a month or two after it was released.

Using the words of Diego on the previous thread it is quite clear that both Davis and Kirby are Netflix’s top two and anyone who thinks other wise is kidding themselves. That doesn’t mean no other Netflix actress can win or that they’re the only two who can win but I find it quite tribalistic to start incessantly making false accusations against a person because you haven’t seen what others have posted to support what almost everyone on here knows and agrees with.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

The consensus was Alison Janney = the mvp of I Tonya and Robbie faced tougher competition than Day. Viola isn’t winning as Chadwick will suck up all the love from Ma Rainey, Kirby needs a stronger film which Pieces of a Woman isn’t and won’t be and McDormand isn’t winning in a million years. Andra does not need to deliver the best performance ever to win, this year couldn’t be weaker.

Finally someone who gets it. There are a lot of contenders in this category, but only one of them are win competitive (Viola). Day doesn’t need to deliver an all time best performance to win, but she will need her film to get nominated in Bp (which I think it will). Kirby is not winning for a film that isn’t in the Bp conversation and she isn’t even a lock for a nom yet. Anybody who says otherwise just isn’t ready to accept reality.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not you mentioning all these POC women like their chances to win or even be nominated aren’t slim as fuck

That is exactly my point Jojo (nice user name btw).

People keep using the Cynthia argument as to why Day is going to get in but there is a big disparity in competition. Cynthia Erivo was up against an actress in a truly inaccessible horror movie and an Asian rapper and comedian in a film that wasn’t even the main priority of its own studio who only had a Globe win and CC nomination.

This year there is a big difference in competition and this doesn’t apply to Day’s nomination or win chances it also applies to someone like Davis’ or Kirby’s win chances or Mulligan or Winslet’s nomination chances. Last year box office grosses were also still a thing that mattered. This year they aren’t.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Those pictures of Audrey Day look more like a stage play/musical than a movie. She looks too modern in those pictures despite the setting.

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

That is exactly my point Jojo (nice user name btw). People keep using the Cynthia argument as to why Day is going to get in but there is a big disparity in competition. Cynthia Erivo was up against an actress in a truly inaccessible horror movie and an Asian rapper and comedian in a film that wasn’t even the main priority of its own studio who only had a Globe win and CC nomination. This year there is a big difference in competition and this doesn’t apply to Day’s nomination or win chances it also applies to someone like Davis’ or Kirby’s win chances or Mulligan or Winslet’s nomination chances. Last year box office grosses were also still a thing. This year they aren’t.

oh I see what you mean then ☺️

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Andra does not need to deliver a Liz Taylor’s Virginia Woolf type of performance to the win this, not when she has the baitiest role of the category. Character recognition is a thing and Cynthia Erivo proved that when she edged out the most acclaimed performance of last year solely on that narrative. Andra is winning and there’s absolutely no doubt about it.

You’re conveniently leaving out how Erivo’s baity role could only carry her to a nomination in an empty category. Meanwhile, Day’s competition is already far stronger than Erivo’s. And Day’s baity role has already lost before. Wait till the reviews.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Finally someone who gets it. There are a lot of contenders in this category, but only one of them are win competitive (Viola). Day doesn’t need to deliver an all time best performance to win, but she will need her film to get nominated in Bp (which I think it will). Kirby is not winning for a film that isn’t in the Bp conversation and she isn’t even a lock for a nom yet. Anybody who says otherwise just isn’t ready to accept reality.

Actually maybe you just can’t accept reality David?

You’ve literally called people on here who are predicting Kirby to be deluded stans and incessantly made serious allegations against them for no reason whatsoever. You’ve repeatedly tried to alter history by suggesting that performances that you don’t want to win (i.e. Kirby, Hopkins) aren’t the most acclaimed of year and have suggested their films are too weak to get nominations.

You’ve also called people locks for sweeps for films almost no one has actually seen yet with no reviews having even been released yet and now you are accusing 320 people predicting someone to win (including 3 experts and 2 Goldderby editors) of “refusing to accept reality”.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Andra does not need to deliver a Liz Taylor’s Virginia Woolf type of performance to the win this, not when she has the baitiest role of the category. Character recognition is a thing and Cynthia Erivo proved that when she edged out the most acclaimed performance of last year solely on that narrative. Andra is winning and there’s absolutely no doubt about it.

lol wow stans are making this board a mess. saying there is no doubt about a day win when there aint even a trailer for her movie lol She aint fantine in les miserables.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 472 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.