Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 472 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
leslieit
David
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And the fact that somebody won just last year for starring in a singer biopic is actually a big challenge for Day. Two singer biopic roles winning back-to-back? Extremely unlikely. It didn’t work for Taron Egerton. He didn’t even get nominated for an Oscar, despite the fact that he was playing a beloved music icon and the film was a box office smash.

Just quoting this piece of truth right here.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think a Kirby win is much more feasible than people are letting on. Pieces of a Woman might not get into Picture but if Burstyn gets in, too, that’s enough movie support for it to happen imo. Plenty of movies are just acting plays, that’s nothing new. I’m still predicting Davis but a Kirby win is certainly not impossible.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Just because it’s written by a Pulitzer winner it doesn’t automatically mean it’s good or that it will automatically mean the film has a chance of a nomination. Tom Hooper is an Oscar winning director yet his last film just swept the Razzies.

That user said she’s an inexperienced writter. I was just proving they’re wrong. I never said the movie is necessarily gonna be good because the screenwriter is a Pulitzer winner.

Profile picture
    Jasmine is French
    Topics:

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom: 87 metascore / 98%
    Tomatometer

Pieces of a Woman: 69 metascore / 80% Tomatometer

Nomadland: 97 metascore / 97% Tomatometer

The Life Ahead: 66 metascore/ 95 Tomatometer

Ammonite: 72 metascore / 68% Tomatometer

French Exit: 54 metascore / 73 Tomatometer

Promising Young Woman: 74 metascore / 90% Tomatometer

The Assistant: 72 metascore / 92% Tomatometer

Emma: 71 metascore / 87% Tomatometer

Never Rarely Sometimes Always: 91 metascore/ 99% Tomatometer

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Oh dear Meryl is getting in for Let Them All Talk now isn’t she?

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

There’s no way in an unprecedented pandemic year that all 5 nominees will be in the miserable drama field (in each category). I’m interested who the comedy nominee(s) will be.

As far as I know the frontrunners are:

Davis, Kirby, MacDormand, Loren, Winslet…so the question this year is which “feel good” performances are breaking the category…as none of the above are majority comedic performances…

FYC:

Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Oh dear Meryl is getting in for Let Them All Talk now isn’t she?

What?! Isn’t that competing in Limited Series/TV Movie?!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What?! Isn’t that competing in Limited Series/TV Movie?!

I think Chris has said it’s moving to the film awards.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom: 87 metascore / 98% Tomatometer Pieces of a Woman: 69 metascore / 80% Tomatometer Nomadland: 97 metascore / 97% Tomatometer The Life Ahead: 66 metascore/ 95 Tomatometer Ammonite: 72 metascore / 68% Tomatometer French Exit: 54 metascore / 73 Tomatometer Promising Young Woman: 74 metascore / 90% Tomatometer The Assistant: 72 metascore / 92% Tomatometer Emma: 71 metascore / 87% Tomatometer Never Rarely Sometimes Always: 91 metascore/ 99% Tomatometer

Poor Michelle

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ok so I got this from twitter and IG, I think these look pretty great and Andra seems to deliver according to Daniels. Of course this means nothing but I’m really excited for the film.

In other news Graham Norton says Soul is the best film of the year, Christopher Nolan says Tenet will change the future of cinema, Donald Glover says the next season of Atlanta is the best season of television ever and Mike Schur says Kristen Bell gives one of the best comedic performances on television ever.

Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

I think Chris has said it’s moving to the film awards.

well, then I think she could be nominated for Let Them all Talk…

looks more oscar material than The Prom (although I think The Prom will do well with HFPA)

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Both Chadwick and Viola made it to the TIME best performances of 2020

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/time.com/5915528/best-movie-performances-2020/%3famp=true

“In George C. Wolfe’s film version of August Wilson’s play, Davis plays the Ma Rainey of the title, an artist who wears the title Mother of the Blues like a sassy celestial crown. Davis’ Rainey is imperious, demanding, beguiling and sensual. She’s also impatient with fools and preemptively furious at anyone who might try to take advantage of her. And so she makes everyone around her wait…and wait…but the anticipation is glorious. As Rainey, Davis plays every note just a hair behind the beat, and you follow willingly—as if, in the wake of her perfumed, rolling spell, there were any way to resist”

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m interested who the comedy nominee(s) will be.

Well Mulligan but she’s not the feel good nominee you were referring to so the other person I have is Meryl Streep for Let Them All Talk. If that flops I might even slot in Rashida Jones. With Jones what we seem to be underestimating is her role in the film is basically playing Sofia Coppola and Murray is playing Francis Ford Coppola. What I mean by that is she’s playing a 40 something creative whose father was influential in her life. It’s the traditional feel good father-daughter film and if we’re expecting Murray to be nominated there’s a possibility some voters (if not a lot) will vote for a performer whose the lead of the film and is likely going to get in at the Globes and potentially even SAG even if the film doesn’t do well in other categories.

Oh and I’m also considering Anya Taylor-Joy for Emma to get in with a nomination. If there’s any year for a film like Emma to do well it’s this one and Taylor-Joy (whilst she has absolutely no chance at the win because let’s be realistic here) has more individual buzz than any of the contenders for a nomination this year.

UPDATED END OF MONTH PREDICTIONS (I’m still not sold that Billie Holliday is arriving on time as it doesn’t seem to have any SVOD deal and I think it’s a film that is one that needs to rely on a box office imo) now that Let Them All Talk has moved to the film side.

1. Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
    2. Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    3. Frances McDormand, Nomadland
    4. Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
    5. Meryl Streep, Let Them All Talk

6. Zendaya, Malcolm and Marie
    7. Sophia Loren, The Life Ahead
    8. Kate Winslet, Ammonite
    9. Rashida Jones, On the Rocks
    10. Anya Taylor-Joy, Emma

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Julia Garner is someone we need to keep an eye out on. She has quite an acclaimed performance and could possibly surprise at the Globes considering how widely watched and appreciated her performance was. I know it’s a Bleecker Street film and I’ve moaned about that for a while but that particular film has a SVOD distribution deal with Hulu and has been on Hulu since the beginning of the pandemic so she is a possibility (for the nomination).

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

That user said she’s an inexperienced writter. I was just proving they’re wrong. I never said the movie is necessarily gonna be good because the screenwriter is a Pulitzer winner.

She literally is an inexperienced screen writer though? I don’t know what else you’d call someone who has only written for 3 unknown movies in 20 years. I’m sure she’s a great playwright.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 472 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.