Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 472 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
leslieit
David
  • Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

So regarding Andra Day.

Most people know that she’s a complete newbie that is yet to prove herself, but Lee Daniels is a reason to be pretty confident, when it comes to directing actors. He did direct complete amateur Gabby Sidibe and an actress that had almost all of her movies in red on MC to their staggering potrayals in Precious. And Nicole Kidman was able to gain some traction for pissing on Zac Efron and Oprah almost happened for The Butler, so there is some popularity for his movies among actors. So in this regard I trust him completely, there must’ve been something there that drew him towards Andra.

That said Lee Daniels doesn’t exactly inspire confidence when it comes to the movie itself being good and I understand that. But idk, Paramount sold Trial of Chicago 7 and bought this for a reason. They have to see some awards potential in this to decide that ‘Yes, this will be our awards play this year’. And those predicting her (at least I think so), generally think that the movie may turn out to be more than just an acting play, possibly even a BP nomination contender.

And the role is absolute BAIT. Not only she’s playing an iconic singer, but she’s struggling with drug addiction, she has court scenes, she will will very plausibly sing herself etc.

There were Gaga comparisons. But I think that even as a singer Andra isn’t really that famous (certainly not on a Gaga level) is actually a positive for her. Gaga might’ve faced the snark due to how famous she is, while Andra would actually be a full-stop ‘star is born’ moment.

There is a lot of variables here, and this is pretty much as high risk prediction as you can get. But if the movie turns out to be good she will be a slum-dunk for at least a nomination with very real possibility of winning imo.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Lee Daniels literally directed Gabourey Sidibe to an Academy award nom for BA with ZERO acting experience and Mo’Nique (a ghetto comedy actress) to one of the best Oscar win ever. I trust him and Andra will DAYliver!

Don’t bother explaining any further. The black folks here only want Viola Davis to be the celebrated one. They were aggressively hating on Cynthia Erivo last year while praising Lupita Nyong’o to the heavens. I wonder how more biased they can be

FYC:

Riz Ahmed- Best Actor for Sound Of Metal
    Daniel Kaluuya - Best Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Amanda Seyfried - Best Supporting Actress for Mank

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Don’t bother explaining any further. The black folks here only want Viola Davis to be the celebrated one. They were aggressively hating on Cynthia Erivo last year while praising Lupita Nyong’o to the heavens. I wonder how more biased they can be

What an awful statement — on so many levels. So only black people are rooting for black actors? Or am I misunderstanding something? And people were rooting for Lupita more because they thought she gave a better performance. Period.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

What an awful statement — on so many levels. So only black people are rooting for black actors? Or am I misunderstanding something? And people were rooting for Lupita more because they thought she gave a better performance. Period.

Y’all were not judging Erivo fairly. You were just hating on her and some of you were always talking about how terrible her personality is.

FYC:

Riz Ahmed- Best Actor for Sound Of Metal
    Daniel Kaluuya - Best Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Amanda Seyfried - Best Supporting Actress for Mank

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Are we forgetting what happened with The Butler? Or Empire on the tv side? Acting like Lee Daniels is some award magnet.

Taraji got 2 emmy nominations and won the golden globe. That’s a pretty decent run.

Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

Y’all were not judging Erivo fairly. You were just hating on her and some of you were always talking about how terrible her personality is.

Her Tubman was not a good performance. That’s pretty much it.

Profile picture
    GODlore
    Topics:

They were aggressively hating on Cynthia Erivo last year while praising Lupita Nyong’o to the heavens.

As we should. She has on multiple occasions been disrespectful of our culture and heritage. Took on the role of a hero to us just for the sake of awards clearly without any regard for black american’s experience and struggles. We don’t owe her our respect just because she’s black, especially when she has failed to give the same to us. Her performance being largely terrible certainly doesn’t help either.

Profile picture
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Topics:

So regarding Andra Day. Most people know that she’s a complete newbie that is yet to prove herself, but Lee Daniels is a reason to be pretty confident, when it comes to directing actors. He did direct complete amateur Gabby Sidibe and an actress that had almost all of her movies in red on MC to their staggering potrayals in Precious. And Nicole Kidman was able to gain some traction for pissing on Zac Efron and Oprah almost happened for The Butler, so there is some popularity for his movies among actors. So in this regard I trust him completely, there must’ve been something there that drew him towards Andra. That said Lee Daniels doesn’t exactly inspire confidence when it comes to the movie itself being good and I understand that. But idk, Paramount sold Trial of Chicago 7 and bought this for a reason. They have to see some awards potential in this to decide that ‘Yes, this will be our awards play this year’. And those predicting her (at least I think so), generally think that the movie may turn out to be more than just an acting play, possibly even a BP nomination contender. And the role is absolute BAIT. Not only she’s playing an iconic singer, but she’s struggling with drug addiction, she has court scenes, she will will very plausibly sing herself etc. There were Gaga comparisons. But I think that even as a singer Andra isn’t really that famous (certainly not on a Gaga level) is actually a positive for her. Gaga might’ve faced the snark due to how famous she is, while Andra would actually be a full-stop ‘star is born’ moment. There is a lot of variables here, and this is pretty much as high risk prediction as you can get. But if the movie turns out to be good she will be a slum-dunk for at least a nomination with very real possibility of winning imo.

I have seen her in concert and the good sis was so engrossed in her performance she tugged at her wig when she ripped off her scrap. She was giving us real emotions on stage and that voice is amazing. It didn’t help though that she looked like a xerox of Rihanna.

Profile picture
    GODlore
    Topics:

Taraji got 2 emmy nominations and won the golden globe. That’s a pretty decent run.

A decent run isn’t getting Day that Oscar as was being insinuated by some here. Empire was supposed to be the next big thing and then it wasn’t. She needs more than that kind of run.

And contrary to what someone said above, no one’s rooting against Day. I’d love her win probably but there’s also something called being realistic with your predictions. My personal preferences don’t indicate/dictate my predictions and vice-versa. These forums need to let go of this mentality that not predicting someone is the same as hating them or rooting against them.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

When you make accusations as such, please provide receipts, because I have not, to this day, seen Harriet.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    leslieit
    Topics:

@Nutella  there is no need for personal insults bitch.

Profile picture
    GODlore
    Topics:

Please stop derailing this thread with your trolling and get a life, honestly. We all know you are Sasha. No need to embarass yourself further.

Profile picture
    leslieit
    Topics:

Luca you’re doing amazing sweetie.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Imagine going out of your way to troll Luca of all people.

Profile picture
    leslieit
    Topics:

Be gone homophobic trash.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 472 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.