Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 472 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
leslieit
David
  • Profile picture
    VINCE
    Topics:

We don’t need and want this kind of negativity here.

MARIAH CAREY

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With regards to Billie Holliday (and this is in general with projects every year) we keep assuming that something will be of good quality or a big dominating force simply because of who it is boy. W just saw this with Fargo at the upcoming television awards where people thought it would sweep the winter awards because of its previous acclaim. We saw this earlier in the season when people were claiming Tenet would win Best Picture because Nolan was “overdue” and it would “save cinemas”. We saw this when people assumed First Man was locked in Picture and Director because it was a Chazelle film about Neil Armstrong but then because of it being a box office disappointment it missed in one of the categories some had it tipped for winning before it was even released (Supporting Actress).

Andra Day may be excellent and Billie Holliday may end up being the best film of the season but to say now that Andra Day is “locked” (or that Natasha Lyonne is locked as some have said) for a film that has only had a few stills released and nothing else is COMPLETELY ABSURD. I mean I can understand why people think Andra Day can do a Diana Ross but it’s worth mentioning that Diana Ross’s film competed almost 50 years ago. We saw how the remake of A Star is Born was being praised by people on here as the Second Coming with people going on about how “Gaga was locked” and that went home only with a Best Original Song win. And Gaga had more acting experience than Day.

Until at least a trailer is released Andra Day is not ahead of Davis, Kirby or McDormand (all of whom we know have incredibly acclaimed performances of the year and are actresses who have had an awards record either in film, TV or both) or Mulligan, Winslet, Loren or even Pfeiffer and Streep.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Taraji got 2 emmy nominations and won the golden globe. That’s a pretty decent run.

I am not as sold on Billie Holliday as others here but how could anyone drag Taraji’s Golden Globe winning and (should be Emmy winning) Emmy nominated performance.

Cookie better deal with them immediately…

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Are we forgetting what happened with The Butler? Or Empire on the tv side? Acting like Lee Daniels is some award magnet.

The Butler was loved by audiences, got SAG Ensemble and almost Oprah in supporting, despite being ABANDONED by The Weinstein Co.

Empire got two Emmy nods and a Globe for Henson despite general consensus for it being a trashy Primetime soap that peaked in S1.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Lee Daniels’ only directorial work since The Butler (which for some reason made no Oscar noise? Whitaker should have easily been nominated but was not) has been on TV- Empire, and more recently, Lee Daniels’ Star (a fail in every sense of the word). And Mo’Nique is not the comparison to be made here- that was Supporting (a category much more welcoming to Black actors) + Mo’Nique was definitely not a debut. Gabourey Sidibe is the only comparison there is. I don’t think there is any scenario where Day wins, especially not when Davis is there.

Even if, as her stans claim, she’s undeniable, the nomination is going to be her reward. In the history of this category, a Black actress has won once, first-time actresses have won like four times, and singer-turned-actresses have won twice (both white). I do see her getting nominated if the movie succeeds.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

The point about Mo’nique was that Lee Daniels knows how to bring the best out of his actors and she was not particularly known as a powerhouse dramatic actress. Regarding Forrest, the lead actor nominees in 2014 were Bale, McConaughey, DiCaprio, Ejiofor and Dern all from BP nominated films, try again lol.

This and all of them were in possible Top 5 contenders. And the one waiting in the wings was Hanks in another BP nominee.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Lmao, can you read? I wasn’t saying Forrest failed to get nominated because of Lee Daniels’ fuckery, I was simply saying that he SHOULD have been nominated and The Butler as a whole could have been campaigned better for a BP nom. It was a point in your favour.

And the point about Mo’Nique is that “Lee Daniels knows how to bring the best out of his actors and she was not particularly known as a powerhouse dramatic actress” Lol what? That’s even more detached and irrelevant a comment to make than comparing Day and Mo’Nique’s personal chances. There are plenty of performances by former flops/pedestrian actors and actresses that get nominated or win, how come nobody’s talking about those Directors’ future projects being guaranteed Lead wins?

People are really looking at like 2 Lee Daniels movies in 20 years that got Oscar attention and saying “SEE? THIS IS WHY DAY IS WINNING” meanwhile everything the man’s made since Precious has been ignored by the AMPAS.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I just finished Hillbilly Elegy. Lol. I can’t believe this was seriously considered for anything

FYC:

Riz Ahmed- Best Actor for Sound Of Metal
    Daniel Kaluuya - Best Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Amanda Seyfried - Best Supporting Actress for Mank

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With regards to Pieces of a Woman potentially slipping into Picture depending on how the remaining films pan out I’ve noticed people have been saying that because of its reviews from critics it has no chance.

Well then why is it that its critics’ 3rd favourite film that was shown at TIFF?

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1308091845554171909

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

With regards to Pieces of a Woman potentially slipping into Picture depending on how the remaining films pan out I’ve noticed people have been saying that because of its reviews from critics it has no chance. Well then why is it that its critics’ 3rd favourite film that was shown at TIFF? https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1308091845554171909

I mean barely any films went to TIFF so that isn’t saying much. I really doubt a film that is hard to watch and apparently loses its steam in the second half has a chance this year in Bp. This film has absolutely NO CHANCE on slipping into picture. It’s clearly all wishful thinking from Kirby stans at this point.

Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

The Lee Daniels worship on here is ridiculous. Between Precious and The Butler, he directed The Paperboy which was a box office bomb. The Butler despite being Oscar bait and having a famous cast didn’t get any Oscar nominations.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I mean barely any films went to TIFF so that isn’t saying much. I really doubt a film that is hard to watch and apparently loses its steam in the second half has a chance this year in Bp.

I’m sorry but this is bullshit. Barely any films went to TIFF?

Then what are AmmoniteAnother Round, BruisedConcrete CowboyThe DiscipleFallingThe Father and Golden Lion nominee New Order then?

It’s clearly all wishful thinking from Kirby stans at this point.

Says the person who called Andra Day a lock for the Best Actress win…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The naysayers on here if Kirby wins Best Actress at the Globes and they pretend they never ruled her out for their own self-fulfilling prophecies…

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Then what are Ammonite, Another Round, Bruised, Concrete Cowboy, The Disciple, Falling, The Father and Golden Lion nominee New Order then?

What did you intend to prove with naming these films? (no knock to these wonderful films, but compared to previous years these don’t even rank). Like I said barely any films went to Tiff  or any other festivals this year which is a smart move on their part.  Also, Kirby isn’t winning for a film that isn’t in the Bp conversation, the real race is between Viola and Day…

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I’m sorry but are the reviews for The United States vs Billie Holiday out?! Where is this confidence in Andra Day coming from?!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 472 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.