Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 496 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Bassett
David
  • Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Both

Again, Effie White was tailor made for her and her Oscar winning scene (that already won a Tony and Grammy) was a show stopping moment that I don’t see her ever topping. Everyone knows she can sing her lungs off, but otherwise she’s a mediocre actress at best

Well, she was handpicked by Miss Franklin herself and MGM seems to have a lot of faith in her. We’ll see what happens.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

You keep comparing Bullock to Hudson as if they are even remotely in the same league lol. One is capable of giving a performance like that in Gravity and one is not. One is also a lot more respected in Hollywood.

Completely missing my point, but ok.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

If Egerton could miss after hitting all the precursors, winning the Globe against Dicaprio and playing Elton John out of all people, then Hudson is absolutely not safe

Exactly. The overconfidence in her is weird, especially considering she’s not that great of an actress

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Well, she was handpicked by Miss Franklin herself and MGM seems to have a lot of faith in her. We’ll see what happens.

Her being handpicked by Aretha will be a good campaigning argument. But this year being so competitive + Egerton missing last year after hitting every single boxes makes me very iffy about her

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supp Actress - Glenn Close
    Best Supp Actor - Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Completely missing my point, but ok.

You seem to be missing the point. Hudson’s career doesn’t warrant a second Oscar. It doesn’t even warrant a second nomination lol. You could try comparing her to whoever you want, but there is no precedent for anyone of her stature in the film industry and her filmography, winning a second Oscar.

Just say you’re a stan and move on lol because there’s no logical argument for her winning unless she and the film are absolutely raved which isn’t going to happen, since it’s already test screened and that wasn’t the reception.

Profile picture
    Villeneuve
    Topics:

But is that really due to Jennifer’s lack of talents or lack of opportunities as a black actress in Hollywood?

Well apparently she was awful in the color purple, that’s why they recasted her, but well theather and film/tv are very different

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

You seem to be missing the point. Hudson’s career doesn’t warrant a second Oscar. It doesn’t even warrant a second nomination lol. You could try comparing her to whoever you want, but there is no precedent for anyone of her stature in the film industry and her filmography, winning a second Oscar.

Just say you’re a stan and move on lol because there’s no logical argument for her winning unless she and the film are absolutely raved which isn’t going to happen, since it’s already test screened and that wasn’t the reception.

First of all, who said I was a stan lol? You’ve assumed incorrectly. Precedents are broken all of the time with Oscar. And last time I checked, actors nominate the performance and not the career. Unless you’re a voter, it doesn’t matter if YOU don’t think she warrants a second nomination. She can absolutley make the final lineup if enough actual voters feel otherwise.

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

And she didn’t really become well known until 2010 (Iron Man 2).

that’s just a lie ☠️ she had multiple globe noms and was a BAFTA and Tony winner

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I wish they could give McDormand the win for Nomadland and retroactively give her 2018 Oscar to Sally Hawkins

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I agree with the rest but saying the BSA 2007 lineup was weak couldn’t be further from the truth. The Babel girls cancelled each other out, Blanchett and Breslin also had strong performances however the former had just won 2 years prior to that and the latter was a 10yo girl as you said. In fact all the nominees had strong performances except Hudson.

It was weak because none of them had a chance to win, not because their performances weren’t worthy

FYC :

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Any other capable actress would’ve given a good performance in Gravity, it’s not that hard and Bullock was serviceable? That being said I agree with the rest.

I agree that any other capable actress would have given a good performance in Gravity. But Gravity was a juggernaut on all fronts and could never be compared to Respect anyway

You Yalitza should know better than anyone what it is to lead a Cuarón Oscar movie

FYC :

Profile picture
    Honey
    Topics:

I rather take Hudson getting in for a serviceable performance than Meryl for The Prom.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And she didn’t really become well known until 2010 (Iron Man 2).

She literally co-led one of the most iconic films of the 00s in 2003 with Lost in Translation and got nominated twice at the Globes and twice at the BAFTAs that year!

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

She literally co-led one of the most iconic films of the 00s in 2003 with Lost in Translation and got nominated twice at the BAFTAs that year!

And won.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

I think McDormand might be more likely than Davis (at least at the moment). I think people are exaggerating how many voters are going to refuse to vote for her because it would mean a third win. By all accounts, her performance is incredible, and she’s very popular and well respected in the industry.

I thnk Davis will suffer as a result of Netflix’s split priorities and the fact that Chadwick is her costar- he will likely receive a massive amount of buzz and praide, Netflix will go all the way for his S.A. campaign, and she could easily be outshined.

Sadly, Kirby is not, imo, competitive for the win. Pieces of a Woman is not Judy, and she is not Zellwegger.

rubbish

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress’ is closed to new replies.