Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Bassett
David
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

wolfali wrote: when people literally attack me for claiming Kirby is win competitive or that Burstyn is getting nominated? I I don’t recall ever attacking you about Kirby. This is the first time I am even conversing with you in the movies thread lol

Maybe you should read a bit better because it often feels like you’re gaslighting me on here as the noun “people” is a plural and not a singular noun.

EDIT : Sorry I realised something I said may have come across badly.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:
    1. Viola Davis- Ma Rainey’s Black Botton
    2. Frances McDormand- Nomadland
    3. Andra Day- The United States vs Billie Holiday
    4. Sophia Loren- The Life Ahead
    5. Kate Winslet- Ammonite
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The stars have perfectly aligned for her, and barring an uncharacteristically bad performance, or negative critical reception (both highly unlikely), she should be winning.

How do you know the latter is unlikely?

Again I think it’s premature to guess a film’s critical reception. We’ve already seen what’s happened with Fargo the TV show this year and with Ammonite when people have assumed they will get raves.

Not to say Ma Rainey won’t get raves but nothing (for any film) is guaranteed.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

I find it hard imagining Frances winning a third Lead Oscar (a few years after her second) with a subtle performance over Viola’s showy and transformative role.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Those photos. Omg. I —

Viola Davis is fucking coming!!!! Snatch Oscar number 2, queen!

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Davis
    2. McDormand
    3. Kirby
    4. Pfeiffer
    5. Winslet (6. Adams)

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Maybe you should read a bit better because it often feels like you’re gaslighting me on here as the noun “people” is a plural and not a singular noun.

EDIT : Sorry I realised something I said may have come across badly.

Jesus! If you were talking about people in general, why would you bring it up in a conversation with me to justify your response to my original post? Like when you know I was asking you about your response to my post, why would you talk about other posters? Anyone in my place would have assumed you were implying that I was one of those posters who attacked you, hence your response.

How do you know the latter is unlikely?

Again I think it’s premature to guess a film’s critical reception.

It’s not premature, IMO, to guess the likelihood of a film’s critical reception being positive or negative based on the subject matter, ensemble cast, director, source material, and studio/exhibitor backing the film up. This is a prediction website after all.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s not premature, IMO, to guess the likelihood of a film’s critical reception being positive or negative based on the subject matter, ensemble cast, director, source material, and studio/exhibitor backing the film up. This is a prediction website after all.

Well if it’s a predictions website then I don’t see why you’re ruling out other people’s opinions by stating that they are just stanning. I mean it’s a bit of a doublethink to rule out opinions that contradict your own.

Honestly Aayaan let’s just end it here. It’s clear that everyone else is wrong because only your opinion is right and that there is no way the person you are personally rooting for loses even though we don’t know the critical reception or anything other than a few images of their film lol.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Well if it’s a predictions website then I don’t see why you’re ruling out other people’s opinions by stating that they are just stanning. I mean it’s a bit of a doublethink to rule out opinions that contradict your own.

I am not ruling out your opinion. You are free to predict a Kirby sweep. You were the one who undermined my post first, remember? And then you got upset at me for responding to your jab with my own jab.

the person you are personally rooting

I am actually personally rooting for McDormand because I saw Nomadland and was in awe of her performance, but I realise Viola has more things going for her and makes the most sense, so will be predicting her win.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I am not ruling out your opinion. You are free to predict a Kirby sweep. You were the one who undermined my post first, remember?

Suggesting that people are underestimating someone at their own peril and that they are “coming for the win” suggests you are ruling out opinions contradictory to your own. Honestly I would prefer it if you stopped gaslighting me as you’ve done in other threads.

I’m not even predicting a Kirby sweep?

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Viola has Kirby stans pressed, lol — which, by the way, is ridiculous because these are just photos and nothing has changed. But it’s still funny to see.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Viola has Kirby stans pressed, lol — which, by the way, is ridiculous because these are just photos and nothing has changed. But it’s still funny to see.

Such statements like these just reinforce antagonising behaviour on here. I didn’t say Viola wasn’t winning.

Honestly if you all think that because of a couple of photos that the race is over as some of you have put it or that Viola is the unquestionable winner then that’s on you. I remember people fondly saying the same things about Charlize Theron, Christian Bale etc after they were seen to have transformational pics.

I would prefer it if we ended this here because it’s clear that Viola stans won’t accept any outcome other than the one they’re rooting for and are just bullying people as they have done on other threads because they don’t agree with them (not referring to you Luca).

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

You literally quoted a comment of mine in which I say that photos won’t change anything, and then you go ahead and accuse of saying the opposite. Goodbye.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

The thing is, I am not even a Viola stan! I am rooting for McDormand personally. But I can see just how perfectly the stars are aligning for Viola. And those stills do indicate that this will be a big performance, although I’m sure most of us already knew that. She will be only the second black actress to win the Oscar for Lead Actress, and the ONLY black actress to win more than one Oscar. If she has the performance, she is coming for the win.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

You literally quoted a comment of mine in which I say that photos won’t change anything, and then you go ahead and accuse of saying the opposite. Goodbye.

(not referring to you Luca).

I don’t know whether it’s that your not actually reading what I post or your just gaslighting but please guys just stop the flippant behaviour. It honestly feels like bullying at this point.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress’ is closed to new replies.