Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 496 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Bassett
David
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Honestly by that user’s logic then Marriage Story should have gone Musical or Comedy because Scarlett Johansson sings in it LMAO.

I think it’s fair to say there’s no way a film based on a dramatic play by August Wilson is going to go Musical or Comedy.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Are you retarded?

Can you shut up? You’re contributing nothing to the discussion beyond being combative, defensive, and accusatory. Either learn how to engage on positive discourse, or even debate since that’s what you seem intent on doing, or go back to stan twitter if all you want to do is troll.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

The difference is that I’m aware of these (the “rules” and Ma Rainey being adapted from a dramatic play), whereas you seem to ignore that this is HFPA and studios can bribe voters to get what they want. Best believe Netflix can get Ma Rainey in C/M if that’s what they want. I will try to get some T…

You’re delusional lol. Keep living in that dream of yours!

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Are you retarded? Cotillard, Phœnix, Witherspoon, Foxx and Bassett didn’t just go in comedy for the sake of it, these were campaign moves to boost their chances just like Renée and Malek did because in their cases winning drama globes made them stronger and both had juicy arguments aka as Mercury and Garland. Ma Rainey is like a nobody, Viola can’t capitalize on her character. Im done responding to you!

She’s a real person.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Can you shut up? You’re contributing nothing to the discussion beyond being combative, defensive, and accusatory. Either learn how to engage on positive discourse, or even debate since that’s what you seem intent on doing, or go back to stan twitter if all you want to do is troll.

Finally someone is calling out the toxicity of their behaviour on here!

Guys whether you agree with them (I use this as a plural not a singular pronoun) on their opinions or not when you see someone use derogatory or combative language to harass and bully others on here please just call it out or report them as spam. It makes life much easier and reinforces a zero tolerance policy to toxic behaviour.

The fact that people only call toxic behaviour out on here unless it’s from someone they agree with on a point is so frustrating.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The fact that there is no lock for the win in this category right now like there was this time last year is really exciting.

Random side thought but out of interest was McDormand always the frontrunner in 2017? Even this early on?

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

The fact that there is no lock for the win in this category right now like there was this time last year is really exciting. Random side thought but out of interest was McDormand always the frontrunner in 2017? Even this early on?

She wasn’t. She was a frontrunner but not THE frontrunner. Also, I remember around this time, a lot people weren’t predicting her even for a nomination.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I remember people were predicting her and Sam Rockwell as soon as 3BOEM premiered in Venice. But TSOW premiered before it, if I remember correctly, so many retained that Sally Hawkins was the frontrunner.

EDIT: Looking back through the combined odds, Sally Hawkins overtook Meryl Streep in mid-September, and Frances McDormand didn’t become the frontrunner until the beginning of November.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

This year is incomparable to any previous one. Half as many movies played at film festivals and things are airing much, much later than usual. We definitely have no front-runner at the moment. McDormand is the safest for a nom, but that’s also only because hers is one of the only eligible movies that has been seen and critically praised. If Davis gets raves for Ma Rainey’s, then she becomes the front-runner IMO.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s interesting how significant Venice is when it comes to nominations but how it is 50/50 when it comes to predicting the winners (i.e. not every film that’s won the Golden Lion has won the Oscar whilst every Volpi Cup actress winner in an English language film with US distribution since 2001 has gotten nominated whilst that hasn’t necessarily been the case with Male Volpi Cup winners as I believe people like Michael Fassbender have won and gotten nomimated everywhere apart from the Oscars).

Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

If movies like ASIB, Judy, and BR didn’t or couldn’t go C/M

But was this the case or the studios decided to submit in there to get the prestige that drama globes give you over comedy’s? I don’t think we know this (correct me if we do) so Ma Rainey could go either way.

Last.fm: https://www.last.fm/es/user/Into_You
    https://letterboxd.com/cherry123/

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The way it’s really obvious that Viola is winning and some of you don’t see that.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Hey, nothing would make me happier than to see Queen V. sweep and win that lead actress Oscar. Especially after she was cruelly snubbed at the Emmys.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

I remember people were predicting her and Sam Rockwell as soon as 3BOEM premiered in Venice. But TSOW premiered before it, if I remember correctly, so many retained that Sally Hawkins was the frontrunner. EDIT: Looking back through the combined odds, Sally Hawkins overtook Meryl Streep in mid-September, and Frances McDormand didn’t become the frontrunner until the beginning of November.

Rockwell wasn’t really predicted as a frontrunner until he won a Globe.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Goodness, we’re barely into the season and Best Actress is already the most toxic movie thread, again. Why is it always this one?

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress’ is closed to new replies.