Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 496 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +10 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Bassett
David
  • Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Why is this thread way more active than the best actor thread lol? Is there that much discourse in this category???

Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

Why is this thread way more active than the best actor thread lol? Is there that much discourse in this category???

Welcome to forums filled with gays, lol.

Last.fm: https://www.last.fm/es/user/Into_You
    https://letterboxd.com/cherry123/

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

Probably because Best Actress has more competition, Best Actor is really just between Hopkins and Kaluuya.

FYC Oscars: Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mark Rylance (Trail of the Chicago 7), Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom), Soul (Best Picture, Best Animated Feature Film, and Best Original Screenplay)

FYC Grammys: Circles (Album of the Year), Good News (Record and Song of the Year), Future Nostalgia (Album of the Year), Don't Start Now (Record and Song of the Year), Everything I Wanted (Record and Song of the Year)

Profile picture
    TheDreamingHead
    Topics:

While I don’t buy the notion that Ma Rainey’s black bottoms is going comedy musical at the globe, I’m not completely ruling it out either. Studios have submitted their *drama* films (with a pinch of comedy or musical aspects of course) to comedy musical categories to avoid competition. It has happened before. And awards fans have publicly called out HFPA for that too, but hardly anything really changed.

We see a flock of contenders in musical biopics entering the drama races recently, but in fact, it has spoken of nothing too significant. Sometimes, it worked with playing musical icons, sometimes it paid off horribly (like ASIB). But what I’m trying to say here is that, the GG despite being a very prestigious and deciding award, still is voted by a group of only 90 members. They know how important their award is, so the studios will try very hard to persuade them to do this, do that. Rumor has it that just last year, Elton John hosted a party inviting all HFPA members, or Tarantino also inviting HFPA members to … whatever it was I don’t remember to payola his film and they all paid off wonderfully! The HFPA is the ones making rules, but they can also change rules to whatever they want in favor of studios’ intention. It’s still a rather small entity afterall.

I’m not explicitly indicating that studios will easily bribe the HFPA members, but that they can sway the wind in whatever direction they think is the best for them. And right now, the comedy musical categories at the Globes are so empty that whatever film of the top 10 best pictures contenders as of this moment being relegated to comedy musical categories will rule these categories easily in a cakewalk, and studios will definitely make full use of this fact!

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

I mean I’m aware of that? but do you really expect ppl to know who she was?

Yeah.

I don’t think that matters though. At all.

This category will boil down to whether or not Davis goes supporting or lead. Either one, I think she’ll win. I know it’s early to be sold on this, but it feels inevitable. Only thing that could majorly go against her is the fact she’ll be one of four heavy performances portraying iconic American female singers in the race this year, the other three most likely being far more singing-centric. Could muddle things.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I mean I was dumbfounded by the amount of people on the threads saying ScarJo was winning up until the last second even though they hardly won any precursors.

That was me LOL! I was so convinced that Zellweger didn’t have the right film or narrative. Meanwhile Johansson was a hot newcomer in a Best Picture nominee and much better film. But I was proven wrong.

I stopped predicting ScarJo after the Globes though.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way it’s really obvious that Viola is winning and some of you don’t see that.

Such premature statements spoil the moment.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Why are we all assuming Respect goes drama? Not trying to be rude, I’m just wondering where that line of thinking is coming from. After all, it’s from Universal, the studio that decided Get Out and Green Book were comedies. I still think the latter was pushing the boundaries a little bit, because while it was easier fare a la Hidden Figures, it was far from funny and most of the time wasn’t even trying to be. And the former was obviously blatant category fraud. With how barren Comedy/Musical is, I absolutely see them putting Respect there where they’ve got an all-but-guaranteed win for Hudson. And unlike Ma Rainey or Judy, it’ll probably be a singing-heavy movie as well.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

That was me LOL! I was so convinced that Zellweger didn’t have the right film or narrative. Meanwhile Johansson was a hot newcomer in a Best Picture nominee and much better film. But I was proven wrong.

I stopped predicting ScarJo after the Globes though.

Yeah no I was talking about people who were going on and on about up until the envelope was opened.

I think though that is shows how much we overthink on here. Ruling people out when a majority of the films haven’t been released yet and we’ve seen a trailer for one contender, three contenders’ films premiere and simply images from two other contenders just leads to strange self fulfilling prophecies if you ask me.

I mean like you more or less put into words lets at least wait until the Globes until we declare a lock. I followed the supporting actress race in 2018 closely and I remember people were saying Laurie Metcalf was locked for the win (although frankly she should have been because she gave the definition of a performance in that film).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I was so convinced that Zellweger didn’t have the right film or narrative.

Pretty much right up until the Globes, I was the same way. I didn’t think Zellweger was even going to be nominated. I really think the character you’re playing can’t be underestimated. The performances from the people playing Judy Garland, Freddie Mercury, George W. Bush, and Harriet Tubman were FAR from the best in their category in movies that were mediocre to bad, but all surpassed expectations likely because that combination of iconic role and real-life imitation is irresistible to the Academy.

Profile picture
    Carlos J. Barfly
    Topics:

Why are we all assuming Respect goes drama? Not trying to be rude, I’m just wondering where that line of thinking is coming from. After all, it’s from Universal, the studio that decided Get Out and Green Book were comedies. I still think the latter was pushing the boundaries a little bit, because while it was easier fare a la Hidden Figures, it was far from funny and most of the time wasn’t even trying to be. And the former was obviously blatant category fraud.

Say what you will, but I thought Get Out was brilliant satire  (as well as horror), which qualified it as comedy. It never occurred to me that anyone didn’t think of it as a comedy until Peele freaked out and started calling it a documentary, which was kind of astonishing until I remembered we live in an “alternative facts” kind of era. Anyway, the studios only have so much say in this question anymore. The HFPA does their own thing, and it remains to be seen what they’ll do with Respect.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Pretty much right up until the Globes, I was the same way. I didn’t think Zellweger was even going to be nominated. I really think the character you’re playing can’t be underestimated. The performances from the people playing Judy Garland, Freddie Mercury, George W. Bush, and Harriet Tubman were FAR from the best in their category in movies that were mediocre to bad, but all surpassed expectations likely because that combination of iconic role and real-life imitation is irresistible to the Academy.

Oh dear when Jennifer Hudson or Andra Day wins 💀💀💀

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

This race is more competitive I agree, but I only think there are two or three ladies actually competing for a win (Davis, Day, and MAYBE Loren). McDormand looks like a lock for a nom, but I don’t see her winning for it. Kirby is a question mark for a nom even though she turned in a performance that might be one of the best of the year, due to the fact that her film got mid reviews and she could be its lone nomination, but that still doesn’t help bc she’s not a familiar face among the academy nor is she playing a real baity role (real person). I think Winslet has a shot at getting in, but I don’t see her being a threat to win either. We’re all still waiting on the news about Pfieffer and ‘The French Exit’. Adams is most likely going supporting imo. I also don’t think Hudson and ‘Respect’ is going to be a big player this awards season either, that trailer was below mid for me, but maybe the Academy might have a total different view on that film and end up loving it, who knows?

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

I always thought Get Out was a dark comedy. Never understood Green Book though.

rubbish

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Not Sophia Loren having a shot at winning pls, she’s like not getting nominated.

Why??? It’s a baity role and she’s a legend. They also haven’t released anything for anybody to write her off. My only concern is that it’s a netflix film, but other than that, her chances look good based off the story imo.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress’ is closed to new replies.