Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Adapted and Original Screenplay

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Adapted and Original Screenplay

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 512 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 hours ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
S.N.
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

1. Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman 2. Aaron Sorkin, The Trial of the Chicago 7 3. Lee Isaac Chung, Minari 4. Jack Fincher, Mank 5. Kevin Willmott, Spike Lee, Danny Bilson, Paul de Meo, Da 5 Bloods

No Soul?

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Out of interest what do you think will win BP if neither Chicago 7 or Nomadland win Screenplay?

I sort of like your reasoning for Chicago 7. It’s basically why I just about don’t think it will win

Judas going for the Picture/Supporting Actor/Screenplay combo seems possible. It’s a movie the public can really latch onto, more intensity and plot/action/characters than Nomadland, while simultaneously showing up Trial of the Chicago 7 as foolish child’s play (if people didn’t already realize it).

The Father also has a path – an inventive perspective paired with baity subject matter and great acting. Picture/Actor/Screenplay wins possible; I do not at all think Boseman is locked to win, Hopkins is a far bigger acting legend and also has the better role and performance. Boseman wouldn’t be in the conversation to win without his unfortunate passing, and someone who had a relatively short career and was never close to being nominated does not just automatically get an Oscar.

I do think Another Round has some tiny chance of building to a groundswell victory too. The subject matter, of the film itself and also the story of how it came into existence, is very relevant and moving in these depressed covid times. I don’t think Nomadland needs to win screenplay to still win Best Picture though. I really, really believe Shitago 7 is not winning regardless, so if the other possibilities fail, Nomadland can just take Picture/Director (and maybe Cinematography), basically a “whatever, it’s the most respectable choice, let’s just put this past year behind us” kind of decision.

Ma Rainey has a ton of social significance right now, and we all know the real screenwriter of Ma Rainey was celebrated playright and posthumous Academy Award-nominee August Wilson.

I don’t see the big social significance, removing the Boseman death aspect. The plot feels too remote/small to most people IMO, the film doesn’t engage in the racism issue to the degree that a whole bunch of other films this year already have. August Wilson being the “real writer” is just further possibility I see for why the screenplay can get snubbed – the screenwriter didn’t make the movie cinematic enough, doing a cut-and-paste job, not deserving of receiving the honor of being an Oscar nominee for just filming someone else’s play. August Wilson already received his posthumous recognition (and wouldn’t be a nominee here), that card can only be played so many times.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

No Soul?

they would have to remove PYW for that and we all know they cant comprehend that

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

they would have to remove PYW for that and we all know they cant comprehend that

Lol. PYW is not missing Screenplay.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Boseman wouldn’t be in the conversation to win without his unfortunate passing, and someone who had a relatively short career and was never close to being nominated does not just automatically get an Oscar.

the way you spilled!

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman

Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

We all know he can’t comprehend that.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

right on cue. Well Soul isnt missing and neither are the other 4 films. Guess what’s left?

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

right on cue. Well Soul isnt missing and neither are the other 4 films. Guess what’s left?

A dumbass?

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Not necessarily. I removed Mank from my Top 5, so now I have Judas, Soul, PYW, Chicago 7, and Minari.

Really I’m more surprised that Wolfali still has Mank in their Top 5.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

You are overthinking it. It’ll be Borat.

The same way Joker didn’t make it into Adapted because critics complained about its dialogue…oh wait. GreenBook made it in and won despite complaints.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

the screenwriter didn’t make the movie cinematic enough, doing a cut-and-paste job, not deserving of receiving the honor of being an Oscar nominee for just filming someone else’s play.

You obviously haven’t seen or read the original play.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

You obviously haven’t seen or read the original play.

I’ve read the play and seen the movie. It failed to be cinematic enough after the opening, and many scenes are lifted wholesale from the play, without much of an attempt to change up the rhythms to better suit film. From the moment Levee enters the film exclaiming “Look here, Cutler…I got me some shoes!”, that entire sequence is a direct rip-off of the play without any real attempt to make it less stagey.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I’ve read the play and seen the movie. It failed to be cinematic enough after the opening, and many scenes are lifted wholesale from the play, without much of an attempt to change up the rhythms to better suit film. From the moment Levee enters the film exclaiming “Look here, Cutler…I got me some shoes!”, that entire sequence is a direct rip-off of the play without any real attempt to make it less stagey.

Okay but you said ‘cut-and-paste’ job when there’s quite a lot that’s altered; some reductions/distillations, one crucial structural rearrangement, and some outdoor moments not in the stage play (as well as a change of season from the original work). There are no drastic rewrites or alterations, no, but one wouldn’t want there to be. I suppose I’ll just have to agree to disagree on the rhythm of the thing, I actually found it quite pacy. Most play adaptations that are over-eager to dilute their theatrical origin fail anyway.

Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

END OF WEEK 20 PREDICTIONS

The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Promising Young Woman
    Minari
    Mank
    Malcolm and Marie

Nomadland
    One Night in Miami
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    The Father
    News of the World

Profile picture
    dgma793181
    Topics:

twitter.com/kristapley/status/1355226266626977792
    “A quick glance at the WGA ballot tells me MANK, NOMADLAND, MINARI, THE FATHER, PIECES OF A WOMAN and of course animated films like SOUL are not eligible this year.”

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Adapted and Original Screenplay’ is closed to new replies.