Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Adapted and Original Screenplay

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Adapted and Original Screenplay

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 512 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What? The Shape of Water lost to Get Out. James Ivory was in Adapted lol

LMAO I thought The Shape of Water was adapted.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Look at something like Up in the Air, that won a ton of screenplay awards before losing.

Up in the Air was killed in the last minute due to a screenwriting credit controversy. It would absolutely had won otherwise.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

People beating thier chest over critic wins. How many critic wins did Green Book, Argo, and Birdman have?

Green Book – 4
    Argo – 12
    Birdman – 14

One Night in Miami is not winning Adapted.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Green Book – 4
    Argo – 12
    Birdman – 14

One Night in Miami is not winning Adapted.

cHicAgO 7 hAs nO BuZz

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

LMAO I thought The Shape of Water was adapted.

Can’t blame you. It was a cheap remake of Pan’s Labyrinth and plagiarized from pre existent material, so it kinda was adapted lol

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

People beating thier chest over critic wins. How many critic wins did Green Book, Argo, and Birdman have?

My a quick glance on IMDB and don’t take my count for gospel, it was quick.

Birdman – 9 wins
    Argo – 11 Wins
    Green Book – 5 Wins

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

My a quick glance on IMDB and don’t take my count for gospel, it was quick.

Birdman – 9 wins
    Argo – 11 Wins
    Green Book – 5 Wins

So you dont need to lead in critics wins to win best screenplay. thanks.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

So you dont need to lead in critics wins to win best screenplay. thanks.

I never said you did.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

After seeing Sound of Metal I don’t know why there is scepticism about its style of writing potentially not being one the writers branch will go for. Of course it can still miss but I see no reason to think that it should be ruled out of making writing even though it got into WGA because it’s writing isn’t baity (a point which I vehemently disagree with). Yes it’s more naturalistic and slow paced than other contenders but I don’t see how that hurts it.

Then again it could go to Adapted (which I would say would help its chances).

Profile picture
    Rmcd8
    Topics:

I am wading into this thread topic for the first time to strongly predict PYW will take the major original screenplay awards. BAFTA won’t pass up an opportunity to award Fennell (a British and longtime BBC stalwart as well as strong wider competitive nominee), and the Oscars recently has tended to spread the love and diversity where possible in screenplay noms and wins (Peele, Waititi, Gerwig and others).

I am probably influenced by the fact that I was wholly underwhelmed by Chicago 7, but while screenplay is the best thing going for it, I just don’t think it’s a lock at all.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

We could see some shockers go down, but Nomadland and Promising Young Woman continue to be the frontrunners in my opinion.

The Father, Ma Rainey, and ONIM don’t have much actively working against them, but all of them lack a real passion, either for their scripts or for the films overall. The fifth nominee will just be lucky to be there. Nomadland’s a frontrunner for Picture, so this should be a fairly easy win for Zhao.

The story with Jack and David Fincher is a great one, and if it were most other films it’d seem like the obvious answer, but people really just don’t seem to be excited about Mank, least of all the writers. Even though Trial is probably winning the Globe, the Academy is less enamored with Sorkin than the HFPA, and while the Green Book type wins do happen, the Oscars tend to lean a little edgier. Minari is the biggest threat. It all really comes down to how much the Academy likes the movie, but unfortunately I just see this one walking away empty-handed. Promising Young Woman is of-the-moment, takes more risks, and is much more memorable than Trial (in both good ways and bad). This is more of a three-horse race, but Fennell still feels pretty far ahead, at least to me.

I really think this is the year of the female filmmaker. When even the sexist HFPA recognizes it, you know it’s true. The Academy is going to love patting themselves on the back to be able to say that the people accepting Picture, Director, and both Screenplay categories were all women.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

We could see some shockers go down, but Nomadland and Promising Young Woman continue to be the frontrunners in my opinion.

The Father, Ma Rainey, and ONIM don’t have much actively working against them, but all of them lack a real passion, either for their scripts or for the films overall. The fifth nominee will just be lucky to be there. Nomadland’s a frontrunner for Picture, so this should be a fairly easy win for Zhao.

The story with Jack and David Fincher is a great one, and if it were most other films it’d seem like the obvious answer, but people really just don’t seem to be excited about Mank, least of all the writers. Even though Trial is probably winning the Globe, the Academy is less enamored with Sorkin than the HFPA, and while the Green Book type wins do happen, the Oscars tend to lean a little edgier. Minari is the biggest threat. It all really comes down to how much the Academy likes the movie, but unfortunately I just see this one walking away empty-handed. Promising Young Woman is of-the-moment, takes more risks, and is much more memorable than Trial (in both good ways and bad). This is more of a three-horse race, but Fennell still feels pretty far ahead, at least to me.

I really think this is the year of the female filmmaker. When even the sexist HFPA recognizes it, you know it’s true. The Academy is going to love patting themselves on the back to be able to say that the people accepting Picture, Director, and both Screenplay categories were all women.

HFPA sexist, lol. When they actually gave their director award to a woman some 30 years before the Academy.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s quite possible that Fennell wins the Globe à la Hildur in Score last year. Not saying it will happen but it’s possible.

Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

I’m changing my predictions based on which precursors nominations have or haven’t happened.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Locks

• Mank
    • Promising Young Woman
    • Sound of Metal
    • The Trial of the Chicago 7

Fighting for the last spot

• Judas and the Black Messiah
    • Minari
    • Never Rarely Sometimes Always
    • Palm Springs

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Locks

• Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    • News of the World
    • One Night in Miami

Fighting for the last 2 spots

• Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    • The Father
    • Nomadland
    • The White Tiger
    Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

I’m changing my predictions based on which precursors nominations have or haven’t happened.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Locks

• Mank
    • Promising Young Woman
    • Sound of Metal
    • The Trial of the Chicago 7

Fighting for the last spot

• Judas and the Black Messiah
    • Minari
    • Never Rarely Sometimes Always
    • Palm Springs

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Locks

• Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    • News of the World
    • One Night in Miami

Fighting for the last 2 spots

• Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    • The Father
    • Nomadland
    • The White Tiger

Why is Nomadland fighting for a spot?

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Adapted and Original Screenplay’ is closed to new replies.