Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Adapted and Original Screenplay

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Adapted and Original Screenplay

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 100 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
wolfali
DaKardii
  • Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

If Happiest Season lands well with critics, I could see it being an Original contender. Its Hulu release will hurt it a little bit, but I really think this one will be a big hit. I’d have more confidence if the two writers had more of a history (they’re actresses turned first-time writers), but original screenplay has been very kind to subtle crowd-pleasing comedies in the past, so if this movie can get the critics on its side and make a few nods at the Globes, I could see it sliding in as a Big Sick / Knives Out type choice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    justonemorething
    Topics:

Chloe Zhao is winning Adapted Screenplay as her consolation for Fincher winning Director.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Although The King of Staten Island likely won’t be nominated for the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, after looking at statistics I’m very confident that it will be nominated for the WGA Award for Best Original Screenplay. Judd Apatow films have already received 3 nominations there: for Knocked Up, the 40 year-Old Virgin, and Trainwreck.

Fuck the Grammys

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Although The King of Staten Island likely won’t be nominated for the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, after looking at statistics I’m very confident that it will be nominated for the WGA Award for Best Original Screenplay. Judd Apatow films have already received 3 nominations there: for Knocked Up, the 40 year-Old Virgin, and Trainwreck.

Yeah but Adapted Screenplay is way more packed, and this film is definitely far less acclaimed than those three. If a comedy’s getting nominated there, I’d say it’ll easily be Borat.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Yeah but Adapted Screenplay is way more packed, and this film is definitely far less acclaimed than those three. If a comedy’s getting nominated there, I’d say it’ll easily be Borat.

The King of Staten Island isn’t adapted though, it’s Original.

Fuck the Grammys

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

I hope the days of phenomenal POC and female directors being given Screenplay as consolation prizes because Director is reserved for another white guy who made a film that is often no better than theirs are done. Bong Joon Ho was a major brainwave. No hate to Fincher though, the Cats guy did Weinstein his Oscar tbf.

rubbish

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

My bad mixed it up. Maybe it could get WGA then, but I won’t predict it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Mank has been getting lots of acclaim for its screenplay. If Netflix campaigns this the most, I can totally see Jack Fincher taking this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I actually think if any potential Globe Comedy/Musical nominees get into Original Screenplay it’s either going to be Promising Young Woman or Kajillionaire or maybe even both. The raves for both film’s scripts are strong.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Based on the reactions I’ve seen, Mank’s screenplay seems to be the most criticized element of the film. I think it will easily win technicals and director (and maybe Supporting Actress) but Chicago 7 will probably win Original Screenplay.

Fuck the Grammys

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Noe
    Topics:

I’d love to see Soul coming from behind to snatch Original. It’s what Pete Docter deserves.

Fifth time’s the charm?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I’d love to see Soul coming from behind to snatch Original. It’s what Pete Docter deserves. Fifth time’s the charm?

I agree with this. I think Soul is a threat in this race and, honestly, the Picture race as well. I think its Christmas Day release will effectively be the popular movie event of the year (besides maybe Tenet – but that release had as many critics as it did backers, like the film itself) and it’s all but certain to be beloved by audiences as well as critics.

I still can’t buy into the idea there’ll be passion behind Chicago 7 come April, and I think it’ll be seen as weak compared to other Sorkin efforts, and there does seem to be some criticism of Mank’s script floating around in those first reactions, so I think Soul has a good chance. I’m also holding out some hope for Minari (perhaps just trying to will its success into existence, though).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I still can’t buy into the idea there’ll be passion behind Chicago 7 come April,

I think there will still be passion for Chicago 7 in April because Black Lives Matter Protests will continue into late Januady when Biden becomes president and starts passing equality laws through congress, on indefinitely if Trump stays president or Biden wins but the Senate is Republican-controlled. Not to mention, there will be a lot of hate crimes committed by extreme Far-Right Trump supporters in retaliation if he loses the election, likely against people of color, maybe even some counter-protests that are met with violent resistance. And of course, there will be a ton of protests from the left if Trump wins.

Basically what I’m saying is, pretty much every post-Election scenario will involve some kind of protracted civil unrest in this country that will last until close to or possibly well after voting season, and that will make Chicago 7 a film that voters are more likely to relate to and want to support as they experience events similar to the Chicago riots and watch innocent people be arrested for their thoughts and beliefs.

Fuck the Grammys

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JennaJenna
    Topics:

I think there will still be passion for Chicago 7 in April because Black Lives Matter Protests will continue into late Januady when Biden becomes president and starts passing equality laws through congress, on indefinitely if Trump stays president or Biden wins but the Senate is Republican-controlled. Not to mention, there will be a lot of hate crimes committed by extreme Far-Right Trump supporters in retaliation if he loses the election, likely against people of color, maybe even some counter-protests that are met with violent resistance. And of course, there will be a ton of protests from the left if Trump wins. Basically what I’m saying is, pretty much every post-Election scenario will involve some kind of protracted civil unrest in this country that will last until close to or possibly well after voting season, and that will make Chicago 7 a film that voters are more likely to relate to and want to support as they experience events similar to the Chicago riots and watch innocent people be arrested for their thoughts and beliefs.

Ugh, this is so depressing but also feels unfortunately inevitable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Ugh, this is so depressing but also feels unfortunately inevitable.

Yeah, things such over here right now, but it could be worse. We could be France.

Fuck the Grammys

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.