Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Best Director (Part 3)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Best Director (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
BetteDavis
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Might be worth mentioning that BIFA are announcing their International Feature shortlist on the 7th. They have correctly predicted two Oscar players since 2014 (or at worst have predicted a nominee for one and an above the line but not Picture player for the other). No film since 2014 that has won the category has missed a Best Picture nomination.

A reminder before the nominations are announced of their International Feature longlist:

• About Endlessness – Roy Andersson, Johan Carlsson, Pernilla Sandström
    • Another Round – Thomas Vinterberg, Tobias Lindholm, Sisse Graum Jørgensen, Kasper Dissing
    • The Assistant – Kitty Green, Scott Macaulay, James Schamus, Jennifer Dana, Ross Jacobson
    • Babyteeth – Shannon Murphy, Rita Kalnejais, Alex White
    • Boys State – Amanda McBaine, Jesse Moss
    • Crip Camp – Sara Bolder, Jim LeBrecht, Nicole Newnham
    • The Dissident – Bryan Fogel, Mark Monroe, Jake Swantko, Thor Halvorssen
    • The Forty-Year-Old Version – Radha Blank, Inuka Bacote-Capiga, Jordan Fudge, Rishi Rajani, Jennifer Semler, Lena Waithe
    • Gunda –  Viktor Kosakovskiy, Ainara Vera, Anita Rehoff Larsen
    • Les Misérables – Ladj Ly, Toufik Ayadi, Christophe Barral, Giordano Gederlini, Alexis Manenti
    • Minari – Lee Isaac Chung, Christina Oh, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner
    • Never Rarely Sometimes Always – Eliza Hittman, Adele Romanski, Sara Murphy
    • Nomadland – Chloé Zhao, Frances McDormand, Peter Spears, Mollye Asher, Dan Janvey
    • Notturno – Gianfranco Rosi, Donatella Palermo, Serge Lalou, Camille Laemlè, Orwa Nyrabia, Eva-Maria Weerts
    • Pieces of A Woman – Kornél Mundruczó, Kata Wéber, Kevin Turen, Ashley Levinson, Aaron Ryder
    • Sweat – Magnus von Horn, Mariusz Wlodarski
    • Wolfwalkers – Tomm Moore, Ross Stewart, Will Collins, Stéphan Roelants, Nora Twomey, Paul Young

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

lol losing steam? to what? to who? It was never winning any awards outside of maybe screenplay. But it is netflix competing with itself in that category. So it’s wouldnt be shocking if it went the other way. Did people think it was going to win or something?

Yeah they did.  I still think it’s probably going to be a BP nominee, which is a shame because there’s far more interesting work happening this year.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

Profile picture
    Dorsey
    Topics:

All WB has are Let Them All Talk and Judas, right? Since they’re all in on HBO Max now, I’d expect their campaigns to be massive. They’re clearly pulling out all the stops to get new subscribers after their embarrassing botched rollout.

FYC: Riz Ahmed + Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    Sidney Flanigan (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
    Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Despite being buried under the massive HBO Max news, it was just announced that Nomadland will be premiering virtually exclusively at the Lincoln Center from December 4-10, before premiering in theaters in February of 2021.

And… the virtual tickets are all sold out. Great. Guess I won’t see this film until February now. What a boneheaded decision by Fox Searchlight.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    Dorsey
    Topics:

I saw the lincoln center announcement the day it went up and all the weekend spots were taken, barely managed to get in on a Monday. They need to add more!

FYC: Riz Ahmed + Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    Sidney Flanigan (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
    Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

The Trial of the Chicago 7 looks like it will be this year’s A Star is Born

Equally mediocre.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Chicago 7 = A Star is Born
    Judas and the Black Messiah = BlackKlansman
    Mank/Nomadland = Roma
    One Night in Miami = Green Book
    Promising Young Woman = The Favourite

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Chicago 7 = A Star is Born
    Judas and the Black Messiah = BlackKlansman
    Mank/Nomadland = Roma
    One Night in Miami = Green Book
    Promising Young Woman = The Favourite

Nah. ONiM isnt winning BP and PYW isnt getting 3 actors nominated. And Shaka King isnt an overdue Spike Lee.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

What is the point of these arbitrary comparisons? “[current awards contender] is this year’s [previous awards contender]” is such a tired take.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

What is the point of these arbitrary comparisons? “[current awards contender] is this year’s [previous awards contender]” is such a tired take.

I agree.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Nah. ONiM isnt winning BP and PYW isnt getting 3 actors nominated. And Shaka King isnt an overdue Spike Lee.

I meant in award “Picture” race trajectory.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

After watching Mank, I’m going to make the somewhat controversial prediction that it’s going to be The Irishman of this season (except that it will not go home empty handed due to categories such as Production Design).

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

After watching Mank, I’m going to make the somewhat controversial prediction that it’s going to be The Irishman of this season (except that it will not go home empty handed due to categories such as Production Design).

Mank will win most Oscars including Director.</p>

Profile picture
    Kafka_Gyllenhaal
    Topics:

Despite being buried under the massive HBO Max news, it was just announced that Nomadland will be premiering virtually exclusively at the Lincoln Center from December 4-10, before premiering in theaters in February of 2021.

And… the virtual tickets are all sold out. Great. Guess I won’t see this film until February now. What a boneheaded decision by Fox Searchlight.

Oh, it was sold out like a week ago. Really disappointed me too. But at least we have Mank and Sound of Metal today… and, um, Ammonite

FYC: Evie the Cow for Best Supporting Actress

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

Mank will win most Oscars including Director.</p>

After watching it, I’m switching to Zhao. I also wouldn’t count out Nomadland winning cinematography. Other than being black and white, I didn’t find Mank being that impressive in that regard, certainly not like Roma and Cold War were two years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Best Director (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.