Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Best Director (Part 3)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Best Director (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 496 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
BetteDavis
  • Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

After watching (and absolutely loving) Mank, I found it no where near inaccessible as many made it out to be, especially for academy voters. I think it will be competitive for BP, whether that translates to precursor wins or not. I’m confident it will be the most nominated film of the night and the one with the most wins, and I think it also has a bigger chance in screenplay than I thought before.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Unless it’s Borat whatever wins the Comedy or Musical Picture Globe is getting into Best Picture.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

After watching (and absolutely loving) Mank, I found it no where near inaccessible as many made it out to be, especially for academy voters. I think it will be competitive for BP, whether that translates to precursor wins or not. I’m confident it will be the most nominated film of the night and the one with the most wins, and I think it also has a bigger chance in screenplay than I thought before.

The Artist vibes are strong

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Oh, it was sold out like a week ago. Really disappointed me too. But at least we have Mank and Sound of Metal today… and, um, Ammonite

I completely forgot about Mank coming out today until like yesterday. I don’t think I’ll have time to see it until at least Sunday because of work and The Mandalorian, but I’ll check it out soon.

Also I think I’m going to check out Sound of Metal too, since it’s getting such great reviews from critics and the forums.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Unless it’s Borat whatever wins the Comedy or Musical Picture Globe is getting into Best Picture.

I don’t think so. It also wouldn’t be the first time since Best Picture was expanded to 10 nominees that the Comedy/Musical winner wasn’t nominated.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Unless it’s Borat whatever wins the Comedy or Musical Picture Globe is getting into Best Picture.

And it will be Borat, so there won’t be any Comedy or Musical nominees this year.

John's Best of 2020

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

The problem with people saying Mank is “inaccessable” is that it won’t be even remotely inaccessible to Acadeny voters who both know their own industry and the entire story of Citizen Kane’s creation. Remember, general audiences don’t decide what wins big at the Oscars, despite what some of the Flopbilly Elegy stans think. If that was the case, then Joker would have beaten Parasite last year.

John's Best of 2020

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The problem with people saying Mank is “inaccessable” is that it won’t be even remotely inaccessible to Acadeny voters who both know their own industry and the entire story of Citizen Kane’s creation. Remember, general audiences don’t decide what wins big at the Oscars, despite what some of the Flopbilly Elegy stans think. If that was the case, then Joker would have beaten Parasite last year.

This.

People keep using “the gp” as an argument of what wins Oscar but if that was the case then Lady Gaga and not Olivia Colman would be an Oscar winner and Pugh would have beaten Dern last year.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have a feeling that apart from Screenplay (where it stands no chance of a nomination) that The Prom could end up being the Jojo Rabbit of this year (divisive star studded comedy with social commentary that has a slight feel good factor). I think Kidman can slip into supporting actress like Johansson did last year.

Mulligan is still winning the Globe though and IMO it’s not got a chance at winning the Comedy/Musical Picture Globe (but it is a lock for the nomination).

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

I have a feeling that apart from Screenplay (where it stands no chance of a nomination) that The Prom could end up being the Jojo Rabbit of this year (divisive star studded comedy with social commentary that has a slight feel good factor). I think Kidman can slip into supporting actress like Johansson did last year.

I don’t think the reviews were strong enough to merit that narrative. Even Jojo Rabbit’s reviews were stronger.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t think the reviews were strong enough to merit that narrative. Even Jojo Rabbit’s reviews were stronger.

I love Jojo Rabbit (and it’s my personal awards Best Picture runner up) but both it and The Prom literally have the same Metacritic score…

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I love Jojo Rabbit but both it and The Prom literally have the same Metacritic score…

But it’s worth noting that Jojo Rabbit is a film that had a more passionate reaction, at least from what we’ve seen so far. Reactions were love it or hate it. The Prom’s score seems more due to people feeling it’s average, not much love or hate.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But it’s worth noting that Jojo Rabbit is a film that had a more passionate reaction, at least from what we’ve seen so far. Reactions were love it or hate it. The Prom’s score seems more due to people feeling it’s average, not much love or hate.

I guess so.

I don’t know. Whilst I feel like we’ll see more indie contenders this year it will be weird to see no mainstream films nominated for Best Picture so I’m keeping it (and Promising Young Woman which is borderline indie borderline mainstream in tone) in my predictions.

Also unpopular opinion but Jojo Rabbit was the runner up to Parasite in Best Picture (at the actual Oscars) and not 1917 or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Jojo Rabbit was a festival darling that won TIFF Audience Award. It was also a WW2 film, not a musical by a divisive TV director. Even not considering that, Jojo still had a better score in RT.

This comparison makes no sense.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Also unpopular opinion but Jojo Rabbit was the runner up to Parasite in Best Picture (at the actual Oscars) and not 1917 or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Hell no lol

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Best Director (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.