Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 505 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
SN
George Ehret
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Kafka_Gyllenhaal
    Topics:

And of course King has the curse of the “theatrical movie direction” surrounding her, whereas Fennell has gotten immense praise for her original screenplay. That juxtaposition will definitely be a factor here.

FYC: Minari for Everything

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

So I only just got around to watching ONIM and damn Kingsley Ben Adir delivers a knockout performance. I’ve been one of the few Oldman defenders, but he has no place getting in over Ben Adir or even Lakeith, who was great in Judas.

Anyway, ONIM is safe in BP imo. And Judas is also safe now, it hit PGA, WGA, and will likely get DGA first feature. Kaluuya sweeping will also help. The movie’s already making waves, there’s apparently a bill in Congress to remove Hoover’s name from the FBI building that was prompted by the events portrayed here.

I also have gained shocking amount of faith in Regina possibly making it, as someone who has not predicted her so far a la Bradley Cooper. I think she’s on equal footing with Emerald for me in terms of actual directorial ability, ahead even. I liked ONIM more as a movie, and think it has a stronger screenplay. But PYW is more buzzy. Director lineup as I think it stands:

1. Chloe Zhao

2. David Fincher

3. Aaron Sorkin

4. Emerald Fennell

5. Lee Isaac Chung/Regina King

6. Shaka King/Florian Zeller

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’m not denying that at all. That trend has only become more prevalent over the years. But I would think that in an awards season as diverse as this, with such strong nominees of color in the acting categories alone, and with such controversies as the HFPA, etc., the Academy would actually try for once to nominate a Black woman for director? I mean, if they don’t in the end, I’ll be very far from surprised. But I have a hope…

They had pressure to nominate a female director last year and they didn’t. I’d put Fennell ahead of King because Fennell’s film has more style and is kind of an auteur piece. King’s film isn’t either of those, so I wouldn’t place any bets on King making it

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Oscars nom voting will end only two days after BAFTAs noms. I really doubt The Father will gain enough momentum to get in even if it shows up at BAFTAs. The Father is 8 on IMDb. I feel so bad about its poor award path and losing to films like Mank, Ma Rainey, and ONIM. It deserves better.

It’s coming to my local AMC, so I’m gonna try to go see it this weekend. I’ll support it all I can

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

BAFTA doesn’t need to reveal their noms weeks before Oscar voting to have an impact. It influences the race simply by the virtue of its significant pool of shared voters. And Oscar voting always closes a few days after BAFTA reveals their nominations anyway.

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

mm THR DGA prediction: Zhao, Fincher, Sorkin, Chung and Fennell (Alt: Greengrass)

variety DGA prediction: Zhao, Sorkin, Fincher,Greengrass and Fennell (Alt: Chung)

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

News of the World missing PGA tells me Greengrass ain’t happening at DGA

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Yeah Greengrass is not happening. AMPAS snubbed him for Capt Fantastic too, and that got in Barkhad + 5 other noms. NotW seems to be slowing down, it’ll only be a tech player I think. SoM is ahead in the BP race, in line for the 9th slot. Unless The Father flops tomorrow.

Y’know, this is actually an interesting race. People keep saying that it’s a flop year, but if the lineup is

Nomadland-Chicago-Minari-Mank-PYW-Ma Rainey-ONIM-Judas+SoM

I will have enjoyed every single one of these movies, which I couldn’t say for the last 3 years.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Y’know, this is actually an interesting race. People keep saying that it’s a flop year, but if the lineup is Nomadland-Chicago-Minari-Mank-PYW-Ma Rainey-ONIM-Judas+SoM

This is where I’m at but in a slightly different order. Director 5 is Zhao/Fincher/Fennell/Chung
    /Vinterberg

Trying to think of who could be the cool pick that slides in because I really don’t see both Sorkin and King making it in with this branch, yet I think they can both get snubbed

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

I made a mistake, Variety’s prediction is the same as THR’s but with Fincher and Sorkin in a different order. In both Greengrass it is alternative. I imagine the reason is because they are not going to put more than one First-Time Feature Film Director in the main category.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Judas and the Black Messiah is the first all-black producing team to be nominated for PGA best motion picture.

https://twitter.com/JATBMFilm/status/1369012623832797184?s=19

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Yeah Greengrass is not happening. AMPAS snubbed him for Capt Fantastic too

You mean Captain Phillips? Lol

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

DGA predix:

Judas and the Black Messiah – Shaka King
    Mank – David Fincher
    Nomadland – Chloé Zhao
    Promising Young Woman – Emerald Fennell
    The Trial of the Chicago 7 – Aaron Sorkin

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

DGA:

Lee Isaac Chung
    Emerald Fennell
    David Fincher
    Aaron Sorkin
    Chloe Zhao

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

DGA:

Lee Isaac Chung
    Emerald Fennell
    David Fincher
    Aaron Sorkin
    Chloe Zhao

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.