Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 498 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Celtic DW
    Topics:

Why would that look bad? Trial is the minority cast. If everyone else is black or asian, then white has therefore become the minority.

Seriously????

Profile picture
    Celtic DW
    Topics:

Trial is going to win SAG because it’s a traditional crowd pleaser, it’s as straight forward as that.

You honestly think so??????

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Seriously????

Irony isn’t much fun if it has to be spelled out.

But, like, it’s also true. If* ignoring the current socioeconomic reality of what minority generally means, and when looking looking at a singular slate of nominees. Only 1 nominee out of 5 is “white”. Therefore, why would anyone accuse SAG of having a diversity problem just because they award that film? Multiple individual winners are already not going to be white. Like…

Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

Chicago 7 is also the only all-male ensemble nominated at SAG lol. I’m hoping Minari but I could also see them going for Viola. That would be an emotional speech for sure.

Still celebrating Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

FYC Emmys: The Underground Railroad

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I suppose we should’ve seen The Mauritanian shutout coming, and I wouldn’t attribute it solely to the lack of visibility. Methinks Hollywood likely didn’t want to touch a Gitmo film.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

and says he knew ma rainey probably was missing out because they told him the movie was in trouble

I just found out the experts overall did pretty bad this year. Sasha Stone topped all experts but at only #440. I’ve seen plenty of us here (lol including me) getting higher than that so I’m surprised to learn their positions.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Hun, promising young woman is a crowdpleasing film. It’s at 88% on Rotten Tomatoes.

RT rating is made by less than 500 critic votes. Even PYW’s RT audience rating is made by only 250+ user votes. You should refer to IMDb to tell whether it’s a crowdpleasing film.

And yes, PYW IS a crowd-pleasing film with IMDb 7.5 as a comedy/thriller. But the most crowd-pleasing nominee this year is still Trial of Chicago7 and Soul with more than 100,000 votes and the highest ratings. All other nominees got lower ratings with less than 50,000 votes so let’s not dismiss Chicago7’s crowd-pleasing narrative just because we hate it here. Same for Green Book.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Celtic DW
    Topics:

Irony isn’t much fun if it has to be spelled out.

But, like, it’s also true. If* ignoring the current socioeconomic reality of what minority generally means, and when looking looking at a singular slate of nominees. Only 1 nominee out of 5 is “white”. Therefore, why would anyone accuse SAG of having a diversity problem just because they award that film? Multiple individual winners are already not going to be white. Like…

Didn’t know what to think of that comment

Profile picture
    Kafka_Gyllenhaal
    Topics:

The more I think of it, the more I’m sure that this is definitely one of the best Director lineups in recent memory. Someone said it was almost as good as the 2017 lineup – I think it’s better. Not just because of the amazing diversity of the nominees (apart from the disquieting lack of Black nominees,) but because of the diversity of the films they directed – a quiet reflection on life and nature through the eyes of a nomad; a dizzyingly nonlinear biopic on one of Hollywood’s most influential contrarians; a tender family drama about assimilation and farming; a searing and suspenseful commentary on rape culture; and a life-affirming dramedy soaked in alcohol. If the frontrunner wasn’t so clear already, I’d have no idea who to predict, or even who to root for. Each nominee has done great directing, and they all have narratives to boot. Honestly I could have found myself rooting for Vinterberg!

FYC: Minari for Everything

Profile picture
    weird fishes
    Topics:

Sound of Metal is beyond brilliant.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Vinterberg’s reaction to his nomination 🥺

I’m surprised people aren’t upset about the Ma Rainey’s and One Night In Miami… snubs. I expected a huge backlash. But at the same time I’m not surprised. Those were solid films, but not great films. And they were mostly carried by their perfomances.

Profile picture
    Kafka_Gyllenhaal
    Topics:

Vinterberg’s reaction to his nomination 🥺 https://twitter.com/mouthofbIood/status/1371490523190595596?s=20 I’m surprised people aren’t upset about the Ma Rainey’s and One Night In Miami… snubs. I expected a huge backlash. But at the same time I’m not surprised. Those were solid films, but not great films. And they were mostly carried by their perfomances.

I was really bummed that ONIM missed out. Of those two I thought it was the better film – it had such passion and detail. I can see why people weren’t too sad about MMRB, but I thought it was worthy of a BP nom too.

And that Vinterberg reaction… I love it.

FYC: Minari for Everything

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

David Fincher could win at the DGAs like Sam Mendes last year

Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

The more I think of it, the more I’m sure that this is definitely one of the best Director lineups in recent memory. Someone said it was almost as good as the 2017 lineup – I think it’s better. Not just because of the amazing diversity of the nominees (apart from the disquieting lack of Black nominees,) but because of the diversity of the films they directed – a quiet reflection on life and nature through the eyes of a nomad; a dizzyingly nonlinear biopic on one of Hollywood’s most influential contrarians; a tender family drama about assimilation and farming; a searing and suspenseful commentary on rape culture; and a life-affirming dramedy soaked in alcohol. If the frontrunner wasn’t so clear already, I’d have no idea who to predict, or even who to root for. Each nominee has done great directing, and they all have narratives to boot. Honestly I could have found myself rooting for Vinterberg!

Another Round surprised me! Impeccably directed and a strange mixture of comedy and tragedy. Really love such unique movies.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

David Fincher could win at the DGAs like Sam Mendes last year

LOL no

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.