Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 509 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
fyras19
  • Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

To all the people saying that the Oscars won’t face backlash if they snub Spike Lee because they have plenty of other POC to choose from, you’re basically giving them it’s okay for them to just pick one POC, pat themselves on the back and call it a day.

you are writing like Regina King and Chloe Zhao dont exist.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

I’m not writing Spike off, but I do think there are other black directors in better positions of making the lineup than him right now.

I’m glad we’ve now reached a point where it’s not just Spike anymore.

You love to see it.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Spike Lee is not getting nominated for Da 5 Bloods. Wolfe AND King are way likelier than him, as are Zeller and Greengrass until News of the World turns out to be a flop.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Actually Zeller screams precursors “checked” then snubbed when comes noms day.

Quite the opposite in my opinion; Zeller is the sort of European director of a chamber drama that the smaller directors branch typically favours more than the larger, more mainstream guild (though the guild could still nominate him also). My only hesitation is that he’s not yet an internationally renowned auteur, but that might not matter in a field as open as this.

Profile picture
    Magnus
    Topics:

Mainly for fun (again), but:

Best Picture
    The Father (CC, PGA, BAFTA)
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (CC, GG ,PGA)
    Mank (CC, GG, PGA, BAFTA)
    Minari (CC)
    News of the World (CC, PGA)
    Nomadland (CC, GG, PGA, BAFTA)
    One Night in Miami (CC, GG, PGA)
    Soul (CC, PGA)
    The Trial of the Chicago 7 (CC, GG, PGA, BAFTA)

Ammonite (BAFTA)
    Da 5 Bloods (PGA)
    Judas and the Black Messiah (CC, PGA)

Best Director
    David Fincher, Mank (CC, GG, DGA, BAFTA)
    Paul Greengrass, News of the World (CC, DGA, BAFTA)
    Regina King, One Night in Miami (CC, GG, DGA)
    Chloé Zhao, Nomadland (CC, GG, DGA, BAFTA)
    Florian Zeller, The Father (CC, BAFTA)

Shaka King, Judas and the Black Messiah (CC)
    Aaron Sorkin, The Trial of the Chicago 7 (CC, GG, DGA, BAFTA)
    George C. Wolfe, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (GG)

Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

I can’t wait for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.

Dear Gold Derby, please add Ibrahima Gueye to the prediction center 🙂

Profile picture
    Kafka_Gyllenhaal
    Topics:

I can’t wait for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.

MankMa Rainey’s Black Bottom, and Sound of Metal all dropping in December with Nomadland premeiring on the 4th (meaning a virtual release sooner than later)… It’s like an early holiday present!

(And Minari starts in NY/LA in December… which means more people get to see it and we’re one step closer to a release of Mosseri’s score!)

FYC: Evie the Cow for Best Supporting Actress

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I have a strange suspicion that Billie Holiday will be a Phantom Thread-type player. Sure, Day is no Day-Lewis and Daniels is no PTA, but I’m currently predicting it to get Day in pretty much everywhere with no other major nods but then explode at the Oscars in a lot of the same categories as Phantom Thread (Picture, Director, Supporting Actress).

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Pete Hammond on The Midnight Sky:

is an exceptionally well made and engrossing film, an epic told on an intimate scale that I think could and deserves to be on anyone’s short list for awards recognition. Its images have certainly haunted me since I saw it a few weeks ago, particularly in the facial expressions of Clooney’s young co-star, 8-year-old Caoilinn Springall, chosen from among hundreds who auditioned. I could easily see nominations for Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Production Design,  Film Editing (from longtime Clooney associate Stephen Mirrione), Sound, Hair and Makeup, Visual Effects and for Clooney’s lead performance, an understated turn that is deeply moving.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Pete Hammond on The Midnight Sky:

famous actor + directing self = guaranteed no directing nomination

A Best Picture nod isn’t happening “easily” when Netflix already has Mank, Chicago 7, Ma Rainey, Da 5 Bloods, and at least 2 other movies in the play for other categories.

And the child actor quota will probably go to Helena Zengel if anyone.

rubbish

Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

END OF WEEK 11 PREDICTIONS

Best Picture

1. Nomadland
    2. Mank
    3. One Night in Miami
    4. The Trial of the Chicago 7
    5. Miss Juneteenth
    6. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    7. Minari
    8. The Father
    9. Da 5 Bloods
    10. News of the World

Best Director

1. Chloe Zhao (Nomadland)
    2. David Fincher (Mank)
    3. Regina King (One Night in Miami)
    4. Aaron Sorkin (The Trial of the Chicago 7)
    5. Spike Lee (Da 5 Bloods)
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

I have Da 5 Bloods being nominated for Best Picture. My question is, who gets the fifth slot? I have Florian Zeller for The Father.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have Da 5 Bloods being nominated for Best Picture. My question is, who gets the fifth slot? I have Florian Zeller for The Father.

I think Zeller is in no matter what at this point. I mean people talk about what will be watched and considering the father will be watched for those two actors alone (even though the raves will help it be watched) he has a chance but also he has been praised for The Father‘s direction.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Mank, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, and Sound of Metal all dropping in December with Nomadland premeiring on the 4th (meaning a virtual release sooner than later)… It’s like an early holiday present! (And Minari starts in NY/LA in December… which means more people get to see it and we’re one step closer to a release of Mosseri’s score!)

And for those in the US Promising Young Woman comes out on Christmas Day in cinemas and VOD in January.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

It depends on the three biggest question marks which are Judas, News, and Billie Holiday and how they’re all recieved. I feel like two of the nominees will come from the three films I previously mentioned.

I think Zeller is in no matter what at this point.

No one is a lock yet other than Fincher and Zhao. I’m currently predicting him, but I don’t see him being a lock like the other two yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.