Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 509 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
fyras19
  • Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

Would be awesome if the film awards this season could go as wild as the Grammys did today in terms of nominations. It’ll never happen with the influence of precursors, but a girl can dream.

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Would be awesome if the film awards this season could go as wild as the Grammys did today in terms of nominations. It’ll never happen with the influence of precursors, but a girl can dream.

Do you think there should be less precursors?

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Girl no. I don’t want to entertain the thought of something pulling a Bieber.

Ugh, now I have the thought of Hillbilly Elegy becoming the Yummy of the Oscars in my head.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Ugh, now I have the thought of Hillbilly Elegy becoming the Yummy of the Oscars in my head.

Oooh that’s a thought to behold.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Girl no. I don’t want to entertain the thought of something pulling a Bieber. Ugh, now I have the thought of Hillbilly Elegy becoming the Yummy of the Oscars in my head.

Don’t worry, unlike the Grammys, the Oscars actually take quality into the equation when deciding their nominees and don’t accept bribes.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

Do you think there should be less precursors?

Hell yes! Out with most of the critics groups (including Critics’ Choice lol) and I would even like to dump the guild awards. Nobody, not even the union members, gives a hoot about those ceremonies.

The Oscars and BAFTA Awards can stay, of course, and I would love it if they started to diverge again. Too similar these days. Globes can stay because they just have so much (fun, weird) history lol.

Girl no. I don’t want to entertain the thought of something pulling a Bieber.

Oh, please. There are fifteen “Yummy”s nominated at the Oscars every year. There were at least three dozen at the Grammys, too haha.

Y’all, this is the American cultural machine we’re talking about. 99% percent of these people have no taste to speak of.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I wonder if Soul can sneak into BP.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

It can, should and probably will

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With regards to the craziness of the Oscars I’ve been saying to people for a while expect strange choices in this asterisk year. Even the precursors might go for strange choices.

Voters have had time to watch a whole lot more things than they would have done usually and that is actually reflective in the Emmys this year (Normal People, Unorthodox, The Mandalorian, Euphoria) and we just saw what happened at the Grammys today.

Provided I don’t think the nominations will be as left field as the Emmys or Grammys but the rule book is really thrown out the window this year. We wouldn’t normally be considering Carey Mulligan or Vanessa Kirby over Kate Winslet and Meryl Streep but because of the change in circumstances we are.

It’s a shame Us wasn’t kept for this year because Lupita could very well have gotten nominated.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Kafka_Gyllenhaal
    Topics:

It’s really likely at this point for sure. I’ve said this before but if it gets nominated it will almost definitely be as one of ten nominees (or maybe nine).

FYC: Evie the Cow for Best Supporting Actress

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

I’d say Soul is in as of now for Best Picture..

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Following on from my point about my projected craziness of nominations this year do not be surprised at Emma suddenly showing up in a few categories (maybe even Best Picture). I can easily see it go the Ford vs Ferrari route with it doing very well with crafts and Taylor-Joy getting an individual nod at SAG and the Globes like Bale did and it slipping into Best Picture as a 9th nominee.

It’s worth mentioning that it is a box office success (although obviously not as much as Ford vs Ferrari), we know Academy voters have seen and loved it, it has critical acclaim, Taylor-Joy has incredible buzz right now and is in the conversation for the television awards because of The Queen’s Gambit and I mean it’s still being shown in cinemas (like in the UK it was still being shown until the second lockdown lol).

Emma also stars Josh O’Connor who as many of you know is also getting incredible buzz because of his performance in The Crown.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Following on from my point about my projected craziness of nominations this year do not be surprised at Emma suddenly showing up in a few categories (maybe even Best Picture). I can easily see it go the Ford vs Ferrari route with it doing very well with crafts and Taylor-Joy getting an individual nod at SAG and the Globes like Bale did and it slipping into Best Picture as a 9th nominee.

It’s worth mentioning that it is a box office success (although obviously not as much as Ford vs Ferrari), we know Academy voters have seen and loved it, it has critical acclaim, Taylor-Joy has incredible buzz right now and is in the conversation for the television awards because of The Queen’s Gambit and I mean it’s still being shown in cinemas (like in the UK it was still being shown until the second lockdown lol).

Emma also stars Josh O’Connor who as many of you know is also getting incredible buzz because of his performance in The Crown.

Emma will probably be nominated for Costume Design and maybe Makeup but that’s it. It came too early and reviews were good, but not that great.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Emma will probably be nominated for Costume Design and maybe Makeup but that’s it. It came too early and reviews were good, but not that great.

I know it came early but it is also a film that had strong word of mouth and voters have been watching for months (up until quite recently too).

There is also the fact that at least one BP nominee has tended to come from a film that came out in the first half of the year (considering the extended timetable let’s say January to July is the first half of the year). This could very well be that film considering the circumstances.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

With regards to the craziness of the Oscars I’ve been saying to people for a while expect strange choices in this asterisk year. Even the precursors might go for strange choices.

Voters have had time to watch a whole lot more things than they would have done usually and that is actually reflective in the Emmys this year (Normal People, Unorthodox, The Mandalorian, Euphoria) and we just saw what happened at the Grammys today.

Provided I don’t think the nominations will be as left field as the Emmys or Grammys but the rule book is really thrown out the window this year. We wouldn’t normally be considering Carey Mulligan or Vanessa Kirby over Kate Winslet and Meryl Streep but because of the change in circumstances we are.

It’s a shame Us wasn’t kept for this year because Lupita could very well have gotten nominated.

totally agree with this. have been saying so since pandemic began.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.