Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 509 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
fyras19
  • Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

This notion that Fincher is “overdue” is so hackneyed at this point. Mank doesn’t seem to be getting the universal, ‘undeniable’ notices that people thought it would, whereas Zhao’s directing was praised to the heavens. AMPAS needs to do the right thing and reward her instead of attempting to amend past mistakes i.e. Fincher losing to the director of Cats.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

This notion that Fincher is “overdue” is so hackneyed at this point. Mank doesn’t seem to be getting the universal, ‘undeniable’ notices that people thought it would, whereas Zhao’s directing was praised to the heavens. AMPAS needs to do the right thing and reward her instead of attempting to amend past mistakes i.e. Fincher losing to the director of Cats

I think Fincher is still a good director – look at Mindhunter – but him being THE big “how hasn’t he got an Oscar” director baffles me. Paul Thomas Anderson, Steve McQueen, and David Lynch are all far more deserving of a Best Director Oscar amongst non-winners.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

This is Fincher’s to lose. Zhao’s historic nomination will be the reward.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Mank winning

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Mank winning

???

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

???

Posted the wrong image…

Pretend that’s me posting about how flavourless this race is idk

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    gatorfan
    Topics:

Oscar 2021 is going to be way too political to snub Zhao for Fincher. It would work somewhat if she was snubbed for Lee or Wolfe. AMPAS won’t risk it and she has stellar reviews too. AMPAS 2021 will want to make history in as many categories as they can. I love Fincher like the next guy and he should’ve had the Oscar by now but this year is going to be driven by politics even more so than before. Emmy’s were just a warm up.

Is it possible Zhao’s ethnicity could end up working AGAINST her for political reasons? There’s a lot of resentment towards China right now because of Covid and some of their recent bullying tactics.

Unless Zhao has spoken out against China’s recent injustices it’s always a possibility people don’t vote for her simply so China can’t brag about having one of their own winning Best Director. Oscar voters could view voting for Fincher over Zhao as being patriotic.

Just something to consider.

First Place- 2018 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 Razzie Award Nominations
    First Place- 2015 Academy Of Country Music Awards

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

This notion that Fincher is “overdue” is so hackneyed at this point. Mank doesn’t seem to be getting the universal, ‘undeniable’ notices that people thought it would, whereas Zhao’s directing was praised to the heavens. AMPAS needs to do the right thing and reward her instead of attempting to amend past mistakes i.e. Fincher losing to the director of Cats.

Let’s be honest here, you don’t want Fincher or Mank to win and that’s not related in any way to the quality. You’ve already said that nothing makes you happier than it flopping in an old thread. Because I’ve read most of the reactions on Twitter and there’s not a single person who didn’t like it or who criticized Fincher’s direction, actually most people loved it. So the notion that Zhao’s direction is smh more praised than Fincher’s is delusional. Whatever your feelings about the film are, you can’t act like it wasn’t acclaimed across the board in early reactions and that if Fincher wins director, which is probable, seems to be completely deserving.

And about the overdue thing, yes he was only nominated twice before, but he was snubbed for 5 of his most acclaimed movies, which happen to be some of the best of recent memory based on consensus of film lovers. That coupled with that tragic loss to Hooper makes for a great narrative to reward him, although I doubt that he needs it in order to win this.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Let’s be honest here, you don’t want Fincher or Mank to win and that’s not related in any way to the quality. You’ve already said that nothing makes you happier than it flopping in an old thread. Because I’ve read most of the reactions on Twitter and there’s not a single person who didn’t like it or who criticized Fincher’s direction, actually most people loved it. So the notion that Zhao’s direction is smh more praised than Fincher’s is delusional. Whatever your feelings about the film are, you can’t act like it wasn’t acclaimed across the board in early reactions and that if Fincher wins director, which is probable, seems to be completely deserving. And about the overdue thing, yes he was only nominated twice before, but he was snubbed for 5 of his most acclaimed movies, which happen to be some of the best of recent memory based on consensus of film lovers. That coupled with that tragic loss to Hooper makes for a great narrative to reward him, although I doubt that he needs it in order to win this.

It’s quite extraordinary how you said so much yet also nothing at the same time. Mank is yet another by-the-numbers technical showcase that appeals solely to cinephiles and film historians. It might have won ten years ago not in 2021. Sorry. We’re at a point in history where political discourse pervades virtually every aspect of pop culture and media, including film. In an election year underlined by heightened racial tensions, I doubt AMPAS has the nerve to reward a white man for an cold, esoteric Citizen Kane bio-pic when the alternative is a highly-praised woman of colour for the timely, crowd-pleasing film of the year – Zhao’s win would be historic. But let’s not act as though both Zhao and Nomadland’s probable success is based solely on narrative and social relevance. Zhao is the far more compelling choice. Her film was raved by critics, lauded by audiences (the first to win both TIFF People’s Choice and The Golden Lion – just a reminder) and is anchored by brilliantly subtle, moving and unpretentious performances. When you factor in the global economic calamity engendered by the pandemic, Nomadland’s import of economic hardship and financial ruin becomes the far more compelling, increasingly unbeatable choice. If Fincher was, as you say, snubbed for five of his most acclaimed films, and lost tragically to the director of Cats for a subpar period drama, I doubt AMPAS will care enough to reward him when the alternative choice is considerably more appealing. A haul of nominations and a technical sweep will be his only prize. Next.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Is it possible Zhao’s ethnicity could end up working AGAINST her for political reasons? There’s a lot of resentment towards China right now because of Covid and some of their recent bullying tactics. Unless Zhao has spoken out against China’s recent injustices it’s always a possibility people don’t vote for her simply so China can’t brag about having one of their own winning Best Director. Oscar voters could view voting for Fincher over Zhao as being patriotic. Just something to consider.

It’s possible that this is the case. I really don’t think Zhao’s ethnicity will affect her at all though.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

It’s quite extraordinary how you said so much yet also nothing at the same time. Mank is yet another by-the-numbers technical showcase that appeals solely to cinephiles and film historians. It might have won ten years ago not in 2021. Sorry. We’re at a point in history where political discourse pervades virtually every aspect of pop culture and media, including film. In an election year underlined by heightened racial tensions, I doubt AMPAS has the nerve to reward a white man for an cold, esoteric Citizen Kane bio-pic when the alternative is a highly-praised woman of colour for the timely, crowd-pleasing film of the year – Zhao’s win would be historic. But let’s not act as though both Zhao and Nomadland’s probable success is based solely on narrative and social relevance. Zhao is the far more compelling choice. Her film was raved by critics, lauded by audiences (the first to win both TIFF People’s Choice and The Golden Lion – just a reminder) and is anchored by brilliantly subtle, moving and unpretentious performances. When you factor in the global economic calamity engendered by the pandemic, Nomadland’s import of economic hardship and financial ruin becomes the far more compelling, increasingly unbeatable choice. If Fincher was, as you say, snubbed for five of his most acclaimed films, and lost tragically to the director of Cats for a subpar period drama, I doubt AMPAS will care enough to reward him when the alternative choice is considerably more appealing. A haul of nominations and a technical sweep will be his only prize. Next.

First of all, to make it clear, I loved The rider and judging from the raves Nomadland got I’m sure I’ll love it too and I’ll be happy if it wins picture. Now taking a look at who won best director for the last decade you can see that it almost always to the critically acclaimed technical marvel; The artist, Life of Pi, Gravity, Birdman, The revenant, La la land and Roma all fit into those films that address timeless themes and aren’t exactly political. I’d argue that even Parasite, as timely as it is, is technically flawless and would connect to audiences in any time.

One other thing to mention is that reactions to Mank pointed out that it tackles some timely issues such as fake news and the divide between the left and the right, so even if a film can win BP only if it addresses political themes (and I don’t necessarily agree on this), Mank would still fit the bill.

What I want to say the most is that based on critical reception, Zhao and Nomadland would be very worthy winners, but so are Fincher and Mank. And let’s not act the former is more acclaimed since early reactions don’t show that and especially that no former reviews of Fincher’s film have been released.

Finally, you know that the 5 films I’m talking about, except maybe Zodiac, are far from being the kind of films the AMPAS embraces, Mank on the other hand…

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

One last point, we don’t know how Nomadland will play with audiences, TIFF audience award this year doesn’t mean the same as the last couple of years. Based on everything I heard about it, I don’t think the general audiences will love it. Same for Mank though. But let’s remember that AMPAS doesn’t always align with what general audiences think and both of these films remain the frontrunners so far.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

I don’t see the Academy giving Zhao three Oscars and Fincher zero unless they’re spiteful.

Profile picture
    Ben Heath (Articufilm)
    Topics:

I’ve had this nagging feeling for weeks that Mank may play out like The Irishman, with lots of nominations but very few wins. I don’t know why, but as of yet its missing that gold dust that sweeps awards, yet is almost impossible to name. Both Zhao and Fincher are great directors, who both deserve to win the best director Oscars, but something tells me Mank will flop with wins.

Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

I just noticed that in recent history there’s always one director at least for a film that don’t get any acting nominations, what are you guys predicting for this year?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.